FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the brand new & FREE Mercedes A-Class forums!

Please signup for free here: Register

Once you have joined, introduce yourself in our newbies forum! We also have technical forums for each A-Class model as well as general A-Class chat, off topic chat, galleries for posting pictures and lots more A-Class forum stuff coming soon!

FIXING WATER IN THE FOOTWELL / BOOT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
xxx View Drop Down
A-Class Expert
A-Class Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote xxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FIXING WATER IN THE FOOTWELL / BOOT
    Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 6:59pm
I have had few people ask me how to fix the problem with water ingress in the car.
i know allot of you would like to go through mercedes, but those of you who cant or just would not like the headache. this is for you!

What you will need:

2x rear vent covers A169 830 03 42, 1x tube of tiger seal, jack placement trim A002 998 91 50 (optional)
this is a very cheap fix, all this cost less then £40!

First you will need to go around your, at each of the jacking points remove the cover and check to see the jacking pad is present. 
if you find a missing one it'll look something like this:

order however many you need, same one go on either the left or right

2: you will need to remove the rear bumper. this is easily done by removing the 4 bolts and multiple plastic rivets that hold it in place. there is one bolt in each of the rear wheel arches, 2 bolts under the car attached to the fire shield.
the plastic rivets are easy to remove and they are reusable so don't throw them away. you will see them lining the edge of the wheel arch and going under the car.
once you have removed the plastic rivets, grab one corner of the bumper and pull, there should be no tension at the bottom, only at the top. where you have to pull the bumper from it's clips.

3: once the bumper is removed, you should find yourself at this stage, with the rear vent clearly exposed:

WARNING! DO NOT TRY TO GET TO THE VENTS FROM INSIDE THE CAR!

removal of the rear vents is easy and straight forward, start by removing the the outer trim

just press down on it and pull, it dose not matter if it gets broken. just get it off!

once removed its time to tackle the vent itself. grab hold of the vent and squeeze as hard as you can, it has points where it is clipped in, it should lift from bottom up.

Once the vent is removed, do the same on the other side. CLEAN the surface area all around make sure it is dry and ready for the new vents.

To prep the New vents to go on the car, you are going to apply the tiger seal to the inside of the new vents.

make sure you get plenty on there. this is a case where more is better

once ready, time to install the vent onto the car. just push it in place... do the same on both sides

once on, you can go ahead and reattach the rear bumper, reverse steps of when you removed it.

the jacking point
apply tiger seal to the new jacking point (more is GOOD)...

simply push this onto the area needed, press the centre in to lock it into place. job done

after this you will need to remove the carpets and dry them out.. mine did take 7 days before the water was gone completely. 
Sponsored Links

Charlie Boy View Drop Down
A-Class Groupie
A-Class Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 4:13am
Excellent information, so many owners with this problem like myself will wonder how this problem was caused. Curiosity now resolved. Many thanks
Yorkshire View Drop Down
A-Class Newbie
A-Class Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yorkshire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 9:01pm
I've just been told that my 14 plate A180 AMG A class Merc has a damp passenger side footwell after a dealer connected my tower electrics to the fusebox. I also noticed some water in the spare wheel well. after looking through this forum it appears this may be my problem. Invaluable information... thank you
A-Class Groupie
A-Class Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 4:42am
Just make sure your dealer doesn't try to charge for 'investigation' work.
Also check under 'Technical' section for loads more info on this subject plus, it's almost always that the rear carpet section is replaced rather than attempt to dry it out (as was the case in the early days).
Cabbey View Drop Down
A-Class Newbie
A-Class Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabbey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 10:44pm
Hello, where is the best place to get the vents from.
A-Class Groupie
A-Class Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 1:31am
Do we take it that MB are not going to support this repair?. If you are going to carry out the repair I would suggest you only purchase the oe vents from Mercedes. They don’t look that expensive & it’s absolutely crucial that these parts are manufactured to the correct specification. After all, we’re dealing with the sealing of water here
xxx View Drop Down
A-Class Expert
A-Class Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 1:59pm
The vents are £10 each at Mercedes dealerships (depending on euro exchange rate)
Cabbey View Drop Down
A-Class Newbie
A-Class Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabbey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 5:48pm
MB want £159 for a diagnostic test first but they know what the problem is anyway, so I can’t work out why am I paying it. It would be cheaper to fix it myself.. any suggestions would be greatful. Thanks
A-Class Groupie
A-Class Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 2:43am
Do NOT pay for diagnostic investigation. Tell the dealer 'they know what the problem is' there are numerous bulletins from MB on this problem. Tell them you want them to submit a claim to MB on your behalf or you will go to MB uk customer service direct.
There is loads of info on this forum so go to your dealer armed with copies of customers/dealers who have carried out this repair. Some on this forum have named dealers who have been very helpful so give this info to your dealer. You could ring that dealer & get their response & again sling that at your dealer who are clearly being awkward. If you still struggle ask to speak to the service manager & don’t accept the standard spew from the robots on reception desk.
What may affect your claim however is whether the car has "main dealer service history". They’re not to keen to support owners who use 'Fred in the shed' for servicing' (understandably).
Glen View Drop Down
A-Class Newbie
A-Class Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 6:38am
To clarify, was this a problem only with earlier cars, or does it affect the FL too?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic