FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the brand new & FREE Mercedes A-Class forums!

Please signup for free here: Register

Once you have joined, introduce yourself in our newbies forum! We also have technical forums for each A-Class model as well as general A-Class chat, off topic chat, galleries for posting pictures and lots more A-Class forum stuff coming soon!

FL GEARBOX ISSUES

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 62636465>
Poll Question: have you suffered
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
38 [34.55%]
72 [65.45%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
sipar69 View Drop Down
A-Class Newbie
A-Class Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sipar69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2017 at 8:55am
Originally posted by Stubbly Stubbly wrote:

COMFORT ISSUE? WTF is that supposed to mean. In this day and age the gearbox shouldn't crunch end of. They spend millions developing a gearbox and then say a crunch on a gear change is ok, sounds like a complete cop out and BS.

Indeed.  The crunch itself doesn't bother me because it only occurs in a specific set of circumstances that are easy to avoid.  The reason I'll be pursuing this is a concern that it could develop into a more serious problem when the car is out of warranty. 
Sponsored Links

jasonerkerold View Drop Down
A-Class Newbie
A-Class Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonerkerold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 4:02pm
Hi All

Just to let you know i had this exact same problem on by 65 Plate A45

a few weeks ago i was reversing out of my drive early morning and heard the dreaded crunch for the first time.

Called up AMG helpline who sent over a Mercedes technician 4 hours later (really impressed with the service)

he checked some things - spent about 1.5 hours in the car trying to update the ECU/TCU software to latest versions - he said sometimes software updates can change hardware timings and gears which can supposedly fix the issues - after 1.5 hours he said car was running the latest code already and that was not much he could do - but he did a full TCU reset and advised to check again tomorrow once the car was cold again - if it happens again then to take it to the dealership asap - they would arrange recovery to dealership if i was not comfortable taking it to them.

next day came - still had the issue - so took it straight to the dealer.
they diagnosed it - they heard the crunch - they took a video and sent it to AMG for analysis - said it defo was not normal for gears to crunch when engaged.

3 days later i got a call from them saying someone had authorised a replacement gearbox - apparently the older gearbox has a potential synchro tolerance issue which can manifest itself under certain conditions (same conditions can also make it go back to normal) - something about driving the car at low MPH and putting the car in to reverse whilst in motion!? - So sometimes replacing the synchro will fix it - but it may happen again - in my case they suggested to replace the gearbox with a newer version.

car stayed with the dealer for 4 weeks! whilst they sorted it.

anyway - since the new gearbox with new tolerances all is ok - and was all done under warranty.
k44ent View Drop Down
A-Class Newbie
A-Class Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k44ent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 3:28pm
My 2017 September 8th built CLA 45 AMG has just started making the crunch sound when selecting R from an overnight park. The car has only done 400 miles!! Today Mercedes assist came out and did a software update so i will see how it behaves in the morning when cold but I suspect it will be the same. Only had the car 2 weeks and certainly not prepared for it to be taken to bits.
Irish boy View Drop Down
A-Class Newbie
A-Class Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 11:13pm
May delivery 2017 a45 I have done 4K from new no problems with box and run car in properly for the first 1k can feel the car making more pops and bangs and the miles goes up was also told when she gets to 5k she will get louder and open up a bit more
Neil31 View Drop Down
A-Class Groupie
A-Class Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by k44ent k44ent wrote:

My 2017 September 8th built CLA 45 AMG has just started making the crunch sound when selecting R from an overnight park. The car has only done 400 miles!! Today Mercedes assist came out and did a software update so i will see how it behaves in the morning when cold but I suspect it will be the same. Only had the car 2 weeks and certainly not prepared for it to be taken to bits.

That sucks,hopefully it’s just a software update, I can’t believe they would have put a non updated gearbox in such a new build
2016 A45 Jupiter Red,Premium pack,Night pack,Aero pack and adjustable dampers. and now performance exhaust
sipar69 View Drop Down
A-Class Newbie
A-Class Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sipar69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 6:29am
Unfortunately after my initial optimism about the service I got from Mercedes at Maidstone when they took the car in I never got the promised call back which was supposed to happen once they'd heard from Mercedes.  I will be chasing them up and will report back. 
A45 AMG, Aero Kit, Performance Exhaust and much more...:)
weedminer View Drop Down
A-Class Newbie
A-Class Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weedminer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 8:16pm
Hello guys!

My name's Boris and I am from Bulgaria. Nice to meet all of you.

I have an E63 650 08' and I am looking to change it with either an A45 or a Golf R.
Going to London next week to test-drive these cars as in my country that's impossible.
I was really leaning towards the A45, up until now at least. Would you still recommend me to buy this car? There are pretty good offers in Germany for some used ones (FL), used for around an year, year and a half, with 2 years of warranty.
Do you know if there is a real fix for this gearbox issue (as far as I can tell from reading 10-15 pages from the whole thread, there isn't)?
I think this car's better than the Golf R, but I might have to go with a new VW with 5 years of warranty instead.

Thanks!
combitz View Drop Down
A-Class Groupie
A-Class Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote combitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 6:46pm
A working gearbox (even if slightly slower) that doesn't feel like you're being hit from behind all the time is better than zero customer service and shambolic resolution times and empty promises is better. 9 months in and still no fix. Golf or Focus RS although Ford seem to have issues their too.
If it has t!ts or wheels, it will give you problems.,,,, but they are all worth it :)
weedminer View Drop Down
A-Class Newbie
A-Class Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weedminer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 8:27am
Yes, the Focus RS has a big issue with the engine where a lot of people wait more than 2-3 months for a replacement and there isn't a permanent fix too. Newer cars as well.
Seems like the Golf R is the only reliable car in the class, but it looks so boring...
Might stick to the E63 or get a 335x diesel :D
DaveH View Drop Down
A-Class Newbie
A-Class Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by DaveH DaveH wrote:

so much for the new output shaft ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA2a7Bt2Ygw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vjZPibXIQE

anybody have a contact at merc GB that is aware of the problem?

Car is back in again, drive train faults seam to be escalating

Car often sufferers from driver side wheel spin when pulling away (has optional LSD spec'd) as thou its no longer 4WD

Intermittent loud metallic clunking from rear (sounds like diff area) when changing gear, slowing down on engine, or pulling up

Crunching on reverse, and a couple of times a month R is not even selectable, have to switch off to reset gearbox

and its developed an active brake assist fault ....

i try to have a happy outlook as i love the car but its becoming very tiring / depressing

Edited by DaveH - 31 Oct 2017 at 1:43pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 62636465>
  Share Topic