FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the brand new & FREE Mercedes A-Class forums!

Please signup for free here: Register

Once you have joined, introduce yourself in our newbies forum! We also have technical forums for each A-Class model as well as general A-Class chat, off topic chat, galleries for posting pictures and lots more A-Class forum stuff coming soon!

Front number plate fitting solutions?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Abx View Drop Down
A-Class Expert
A-Class Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Front number plate fitting solutions?
    Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 11:02am
Hi

So my V5 finally came through menaing I can transfer my 5 character reg to the 45, I usually have a short number plate as looks better without all the big gaps, rear is fine as is stuck on but the front is a pita, I've used a full size plate and fixed in each corner to the backing plate with the round number plate caps. Not keen on the 4 caps but had to use as doubt double sided stickers would hold due to the bend in the middle!

Not keen on the German style surrounds, but does anyone make a copy backing plate that has a flat face or even better is shorter?

Cheers
64 plate, Cirrus white, 19's, Aero, Perf Exhaust, Perf Wheel/Shifter, AMG Excl, Leather, Memory Pack, HK, Red Calipers, Rear Cam
Sponsored Links

rcopus View Drop Down
A-Class Expert
A-Class Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcopus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 8:13pm
Did you ever find anything Abx? I'm in the same boat.
Grib17 View Drop Down
A-Class Newbie
A-Class Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grib17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 8:24am
Thought about getting the number plate as a sticker?
Abx View Drop Down
A-Class Expert
A-Class Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 8:44am
Yes found the perfect solution from MB Oz and Italy as they have shorter plates and sell a genuine shorter mount, looks fantastic, but the problem is that the shorter mount unfortunately then reveals 4 holes in the bumper which would need plastic welding and painting so not ideal!
64 plate, Cirrus white, 19's, Aero, Perf Exhaust, Perf Wheel/Shifter, AMG Excl, Leather, Memory Pack, HK, Red Calipers, Rear Cam
rcopus View Drop Down
A-Class Expert
A-Class Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcopus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 10:38am
@Grib17 - I looked at some last night actually. Not sure if the narrowest point between upper and lower grill will fit a legal sized plate sticker or not. Might order one and give it a try.

@Abx - I had a quick look into the different plinths and found 4 different part numbers for what I assume are 4 different sized plinths. Thing is I can't find the dimensions for them or anywhere that sells them! A meet in the middle solution would be a fourtdot plate as they will make them standard UK size but only print the reflective part as big as it needs to be, the rest can be black, or anything else you want. They are so damn expensive though!
Abx View Drop Down
A-Class Expert
A-Class Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Abx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 1:32pm
Here you go recoups.

LENGTH/WIDTH/HEIGHT

36.500 13.000 5.000 - A1768850881

30.500 8.800 4.00 - A1768850381

36.500 11.500 3.800 – A1768850481

33.500 17.300 3.600 – A1768850281

IIRC the 3rd one down is perfect but will require the holes to be filled.
Abx View Drop Down
A-Class Expert
A-Class Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Abx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 1:33pm
Oh, and MB UK can order for you but last time I enquiried it was out of stock.
rcopus View Drop Down
A-Class Expert
A-Class Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcopus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 1:51pm
Thanks for this Abx - considering either a smaller plate or stick on one.
Would probably get some plastic plugs painted to put on the holes. Not ideal but not sure I actually trust a bodyshop to fill and paint the bumper satisfactorily!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic