Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2020 CLA 35 (Premium) in Digital White
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Apologies for the non A-Class post but given that the CLA 35 is similar to the A35 mechanically (and because this forum is a lot more active than the CLA equivalent), I thought I'd post here.

I should be collecting my CLA 35 Premium in Digital White from the dealers mid-week. I had a few questions I was hoping people could help with:
  • I'm assuming the AMG cars don't come with run-flat tyres fitted - am I wrong in thinking this?
  • I have the option of taking a 3 year maintenance plan (including tyres) which would cost £1,156 over the agreement. Considering the cost of servicing and at least 4 new tyres over this period, does this sound like it'll be worth it?
  • I have asked the dealer to make sure MBUX/Maps are updated to the latest versions and that Mercedes Me is activated ready for me to use the digital services - is there anything else I should ask them to do/check before I pick up?
Thanks in advance

RId1

·
Registered
250 Posts
That’s £32 a month over three years. Are you sure it included tyres? That’s the normal rate for servicing only. If it’s true I’d snap their hands off at that price!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That’s £32 a month over three years. Are you sure it included tyres? That’s the normal rate for servicing only. If it’s true I’d snap their hands off at that price!
Yup - so 35 payments of £33.04 to be exact. I think it's a special rate agreed by my broker.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My CLA35 Premium came with ‘normal’ tyres and the boot contains a compressor and can of repair gunk. No runflats!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Oh, and that’s been a **** of a wait you’ve had to take delivery! Hope mid-weeks rolls round quickly for you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My CLA35 Premium came with ‘normal’ tyres and the boot contains a compressor and can of repair gunk. No runflats!
Cheers @Fergus - just the answer I wanted. And it has been a he*l of a wait. My initial order ended up being cancelled so I went straight to Mercedes in the end. Got a decent discount (about £4.5k off list price) on PCP so I went for it. After waiting so long, my heart was pretty much set on this car.

How you been finding yours? I bet the run-in period couldn’t be over quick enough.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Once you’ve got those 1,000 miles run-in done, you’ll find out what an awesome piece of machinery it is ?. I may have pushed it a few time’s during the run-in period, but you can enjoy it guilt free after the odometer passes 1,000. It still makes me grin every time I stick it in Sports+ mode.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Once you’ve got those 1,000 miles run-in done, you’ll find out what an awesome piece of machinery it is ?. I may have pushed it a few time’s during the run-in period, but you can enjoy it guilt free after the odometer passes 1,000. It still makes me grin every time I stick it in Sports+ mode.
It’s definitely gonna be tough keeping under the Rev limit - may have to use cruise control and eco mode as much as possible. Any quirks I should look out for - you had any issues with anything. I know quite a few A Class owners had screen issues - hopefully this was sorted by the time the CLA was released.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Welcome!
Mine turned up on Michelin Pilot Sport 4s'. Amazing tyres. Seem to grip and grip.
The first 1000 miles are painful, but well worth it afterwards :D
I've already fallen into the trap of getting too used to the performance though and have a remap booked in at DMS in the next few weeks. Though I'd imagine that'll now have to be postponed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I reckon you’ll have read enough from the forums during your wait to be clued up already, but here’s my notes...

I’ve got a couple of minor creaks and squeaks from the dash, but only really noticeable when I‘m not listening to music (USB or exhaust pops and crackles). l‘m not intending to pay them any attention, but some folks seem to be more sensitive to them.

I thought the ‘lock’ feature of my Keyless-Entry was playing up when I first got the car, but the key goes to sleep when it’s not been moved for a few minutes, and it turns out that tight jeans pockets don’t give it enough room to move if you step out of the car gracefully. If you bounce out of the car, carry the key in a loose pocket (e.g. jacket) or wiggle the key it’ll work every time.

If you want to play your music from a USB stick, make sure you’ve got a USB-C stick or adapter to hand.

You do have a handbook in the glovebox, it’s just hidden in a secret compartment!

·
Registered
2020 A35 Mountain Grey
39 Posts
It’s definitely gonna be tough keeping under the Rev limit - may have to use cruise control and eco mode as much as possible. Any quirks I should look out for - you had any issues with anything. I know quite a few A Class owners had screen issues - hopefully this was sorted by the time the CLA was released.
If you have your VIN, you can sign up for Mercedes Me before hand which should make it smoother on collection day.

Also Mercedes (on the website) offer free insurance for 7 days which the dealer didn't tell me about. If there is enough time you can still sign up for it. I believe the process takes a couple of days.

I have some wind noise on the rear left door, which I'm taking it back for. I'm not sure if the CLA has the same issue but worth looking out for.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welcome!
Mine turned up on Michelin Pilot Sport 4s'. Amazing tyres. Seem to grip and grip.
The first 1000 miles are painful, but well worth it afterwards :D
I've already fallen into the trap of getting too used to the performance though and have a remap booked in at DMS in the next few weeks. Though I'd imagine that'll now have to be postponed.
Cheers @tone2019 I’m hoping mine turnsup on the same. Preferred tyres going forward will be Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2 or Goodyear Eagle F1 AS5s but as they’re not OEM, the Michelin are the best available.

Hopefully there’s not much of a delay on your remap.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I reckon you’ll have read enough from the forums during your wait to be clued up already, but here’s my notes...

I’ve got a couple of minor creaks and squeaks from the dash, but only really noticeable when I‘m not listening to music (USB or exhaust pops and crackles). l‘m not intending to pay them any attention, but some folks seem to be more sensitive to them.

I thought the ‘lock’ feature of my Keyless-Entry was playing up when I first got the car, but the key goes to sleep when it’s not been moved for a few minutes, and it turns out that tight jeans pockets don’t give it enough room to move if you step out of the car gracefully. If you bounce out of the car, carry the key in a loose pocket (e.g. jacket) or wiggle the key it’ll work every time.

If you want to play your music from a USB stick, make sure you’ve got a USB-C stick or adapter to hand.

You do have a handbook in the glovebox, it’s just hidden in a secret compartment!
cheers for that. already have a USB C stick so ok on that front. hopefully the key issue won’t be too annoying (although prefer it to sleep to minimise risk of signal being relayed). Will look out for the other things.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you have your VIN, you can sign up for Mercedes Me before hand which should make it smoother on collection day.

Also Mercedes (on the website) offer free insurance for 7 days which the dealer didn't tell me about. If there is enough time you can still sign up for it. I believe the process takes a couple of days.

I have some wind noise on the rear left door, which I'm taking it back for. I'm not sure if the CLA has the same issue but worth looking out for.
I have my VIN and have added it to my Mercedes Me garage but it’s asking for an activation PIN before it can complete.

I have sorted the insurance and will check for wind noise. Cheers

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So picked up this beauty earlier today - absolutely made up. Looks awesome (pictures don't do it justice) and drives like a dream (steering is so light)!

Set up/collection went smoothly - thanks to David and the team at Lincoln Mercedes! Would highly recommend if anybody is looking in the market for a Merc. He made sure all the Mercedes Me services were properly updated/activated/working before I set off which was appreciated.

So far I'm 100 miles into the bed-in period - 900 long miles to go. Surprisingly good economy so far - averaged 31mpg on a mix motorways/A roads and local roads.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quick question for fellow CLA owners - does the Premium pack come with Hands-Free boot opening. Seem to be reading mixed things online - is maybe limited to the Shooting Brake version?
Also fairly surprised that the boot doesn't have electronic closing via a button. Obviously not big issues but would be nice to confirm.

TIA

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mine (same spec as yours, but a different build date) does have hands-free boot opening. If I kick foot under the boot, with the key in my pocket, it springs open. Doesn't have a power close though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mine (same spec as yours, but a different build date) does have hands-free boot opening. If I kick foot under the boot, with the key in my pocket, it springs open. Doesn't have a power close though.
Cheers. What’s your build date - I may just be doing it wrong. Is there a particular foot placement that works best?

The lack of power boot was just an observation rather than a complaint/query.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I took delivery on November, so presumably built October/November. Wouldn't imagine the feature would have fallen out of the package line-up in the meantime.

I usually just kick straight forwards-backwards, standing behind the centre of the boot.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts