Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
i currently use the "granny" charger at home but am looking for a proper socket.

However, my problem is at work....
we have a charging pillar and it has 2 sockets, each rated at 16A (the overall rating in the office fusebox is 32A hence 2x16A sockets)
When i connected the cable (that came with the car) the 16A breaker on the post tripped out. After many attempts i noted though the app that the car was trying to draw 32A, hence overloading the socket.
My colleague (who has a tesla) discussed this with me and he said that he changed the charge rate from 32A down to 16A through the tesla app (he showed me).

So my question is - is there any way to slow down the draw of current from the car (or app?) to 16A when required?

(obviously i want 32A at other points)

Thanks

·
Administrator
5,224 Posts
Don't know if you can program it in the app, alternatively you need the 16A cable version:

Some early A250e owners were supplied with the 3.7kW cable in their cars, they will have upgraded to the 32A version, so you may be able to buy their old cable off them.

See:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for your response.
I am still a little confused though. Does a 16A cable have some sort of self-limiter built in as I am led to believe that it is the car that is trying to pull 32A and so would try that with whatever cable is connected.
If the 16A cable does not have a self limiter built in then I will get the same result.
thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts