Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I used to lease one of the first A35 Premiums however ownership was curtailed due to numerous issues with rattles, uneven tire wear amongst others. However I’ve come across an excellent lease deal for a CLA 35 or 45s shooting brake - both premium only without Adaptive suspension. Sorry to post here but there is a lack of good CLA shooting brake forums. I have a couple of questions

• is the AMG suspension in the 45s the same as on the 35. If not is the ride likely to be harsher. The A35 was on the limit of comfort I would say
  • road / tyre noise - would I be right to assume this is likely to be as loud on the CLA as on the A
  • build quality - how are folks finding their A45s?
  • the monthly cost differential is £40 extra for the 45s. Dealer is trying to dissuade me and has suggested A35 is better value which I may argue £40 extra per month for a car that costs an extra £10k is better.

Thanks all

·
Registered
48 Posts
Cant answer your specific questions, but you have allready had an a35, for that money per month definitely get the 45. Its a very different beast to drive. Build quality is going to be similar, you will stumble across lemons from every manufacturer.

·
Super Moderator
3,940 Posts

·
Registered
CLA 45S
227 Posts
  • is the AMG suspension in the 45s the same as on the 35. If not is the ride likely to be harsher. The A35 was on the limit of comfort I would say
  • road / tyre noise - would I be right to assume this is likely to be as loud on the CLA as on the A
  • the monthly cost differential is £40 extra for the 45s. Dealer is trying to dissuade me and has suggested A35 is better value which I may argue £40 extra per month for a car that costs an extra £10k is better.
  • The CLA45s does use different springs and dampers to the A35. Personally I'd recommend the adaptive suspension if you live in an area with poor roads.
  • The CLA45s uses 255/35 tyres which makes them slightly larger than the A35. So expect similar if not slightly more road noise.
  • Build quality is a mixed bag, mechanically the car feels sound but the interior has a lot of rattles in my experience. I wouldn't expect the build quality of the CLA45s to be any better than the A35.
  • Definitely worth the extra money for the 45s, the rear clutch packs make it far more engaging imo.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. I would without hesitation order the car with adaptive suspension however by upgrading to either the CLA 35 premium or 45s to get this option, it increases the monthly lease cost by £100 which in turn makes the lease too pricey. Also I prefer the car without the aero packs. Roads around me are crap so I’m a little apprehensive. Road noise was a real issue on the 18s - how have you found it @Forrester. Despite my reservations there is something very appealing about the AMG CLA SB but how long can I live with it? It’s a 3 year lease but can get at anytime subject to a penalty if the ride and rattles are too much. Arnold Clarke have some amazing personal lease deals on the CLA 45s shooting brake at the mo - £450 pm on a 6+35 and 6k miles. No fees.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Not sure how different the make up of it is but I have a non aero A45s and don't have any issues with ride comfort or noise and I live in London where the roads are less than hospitable.

I would without hesitation go for the 45, the CLA45 is a lovely looking car aswell.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Ark that’s good to know. Being an ex London’er I hear you. I recall the A35 was particularly noisy on most stretches of motorway. I might well take the plunge and go for mountain grey. Curiously I got an insurance quote for a CLA 45s and CLA 35 and there was only a £20 difference per year???

·
Super Moderator
3,940 Posts
I too could not go with the aero, although I am probably now more reconciled to it. I have no problems with the A45s suspension.

Reactions: Ark

·
Super Moderator
3,940 Posts
Slight correction to my above comment on the A45s standard suspension. I have now encountered some pretty bad pot potholes which I failed to avoid, and the suspension bottomed out. But generally, no complaints with it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To be fair that is to be expected. How have you found the road noise / tyre roar on course surfaces at high speeds / motorways. I’m naively hoping that with the Michelin pilot sport 4s tyres it might be quieter. Had the continentals on the A35 and these we’re really noisy.

·
Super Moderator
3,940 Posts
The PS4s are quieter and softer, quite a lot softer, going by my experience in switching from Contis to PS4(s) not PS4s on my original A45. But the PS4s' grip and handle better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all. I used to lease one of the first A35 Premiums however ownership was curtailed due to numerous issues with rattles, uneven tire wear amongst others. However I’ve come across an excellent lease deal for a CLA 35 or 45s shooting brake - both premium only without Adaptive suspension. Sorry to post here but there is a lack of good CLA shooting brake forums. I have a couple of questions

Thanks all
Hi I have just upgrade my A35 to the A45S Sport without adaptive suspension and the ride is not as hard as the A35. The A45S is a completely different car in every matter. Much more composed, more solid and far better build quality. I hope this helps......?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts