Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
i have a non 4 matic a200 amg line and was wondering if you can fit the 4 matic system onto it and where to buy a system if it is possible?

·
Administrator
5,299 Posts
Anything is possible given a huge amount of money, and you would need a huge amount of money for this.
It would probably be cheaper to sell you current car, and buy one with 4Matic.

·
Super Moderator
5,750 Posts
I also wonder how easy it would be to get insurance on such a conversion.

·
Registered
2020 A45S Edition 1
7 Posts
Hey all,
i have a non 4 matic a200 amg line and was wondering if you can fit the 4 matic system onto it and where to buy a system if it is possible?
Having totally dismantled two A250 4Matics from a complete and drivable state down to a bare body shell (where even the rubber shell grommets are removed) I reckon I know and have handled every part that makes a FWD into an AWD. I have two A250 FWDs and contemplated - for a nano second - whether to upgrade one off them to an AWD on the basis that I had all the parts and lots of free time.

I decided against it - it’s relatively easy to swap out the parts required but there’s just too much risk that the electronics will thwart you in the end - some control unit won’t talk to another control unit. For certain.

If you want AWD then sell your car and buy another.

Here’s a before and after photo and a photo of the whole chassis electrical harness which is very different in the AWD vs FWD - just for fun.

Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Photograph

·
Super Moderator
5,750 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts