Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was at the gas station and forgot the car key on the rear wing, that I put there for a moment to sanitize my hands and take care of my wallet and things. Started the car, no key missing no nothing. Btw I've noticed that even if the key is not in the car, it'll still detect it as long as it's really close, like sitting on the rear wing, on the roof, hood, etc. Nothing would've happened if car had refused to start, I would've come out and grabbed the key. So anyways, I did half a mile to get to a roundabout and took the highway to get back home, which is another 5 miles, doing 80mph. First 3 miles it's basically just straight, no curves whatsoever, but for the last 2 miles I take an exit to a ring road (still highway) that makes a few curves until I exit the highway, doing 60mph. That's the route I take when I'm in a hurry to get back.

I realized I had forgotten the key a few seconds after taking the ring road, so I immediately called the gas station to take a look. I was 100% sure it'd be somewhere close to the pump, or maybe just outside the station. By the time they walked outside to look around, I was already exiting the highway, so I pulled over and, dear God, key was still there, sitting on the wing's left corner (left hand drive car). I was like an 8 year old opening his Christmas presents. Gas station guy couldn't find anything but I said no problem, guess what, I just did 9km with the key on the rear wing!

So that's my story. Makes me wonder though, for key to stay there that long doing 80mph, what kind of downforce does our wing really provide. Not much probably. Of course, it was sitting on the edge of the wing which probably held it there, but still, 80mph? Now I know where to place the key if the actual key spot is occupied.

Reactions: craggyislander

·
Super Moderator
4,359 Posts
Very lucky. Is the key or anything on the wing magnetic?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not that I know of!!

·
Super Moderator
4,359 Posts
Just improbable luck (y) 🤞

Reactions: Theo

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Me: OMG where's the key?
Wing: I got this.

·
Super Moderator
4,359 Posts
Reactions: Kunimo and Theo

·
Super Moderator
3,877 Posts
Lucky!

Yeah, the rake of the factory rear wing isn't a lot, so I wouldn't expect it to do a lot until you're above 50-60mph.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah. You know what I think? If I had taken the slower route to avoid tolls, it would've fallen. A lot more curves, sharp turns, stopping and pulling away from traffic lights, etc. Not to mention potholes and speed bumps. Even if I wouldn't have gone anywhere near 60 or 80mph, it'd have been a lot worse than a perfectly paved highway.

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
I placed a full cup of coffee on the wing to free a hand up to open the boot. Needless to say what happened 😩😩

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Never thought the wing could be used as a liquid disposal unit.

·
Super Moderator
4,359 Posts
I must admit not getting an aero has multiple upsides after all.

Reactions: Theo and steve_3939

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Most definitely has. Of the entire car, I find our wing to be the most tempting spot to place things.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts