Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would share my thoughts on the A-Class W177 now that I have owned one for 6 months. I say owned one but a bit of background. I picked up my first W177 on September the 1st, which after 7/8 returns to the dealership for faults which could not be fixed by keep updating the MBUX, the car was kept whilst they order parts, which they did just before Christmas, by the middle of Feb with parts fitted, the dealership kept the car for testing, only to find that they could not fix the fault, a replacement was ordered and I picked up another on the 1st March. With this in mind I am going to put that in the past and have an open view. The car I have is A200 AMG Line with the executive pack, so here we go on how I feel about Mercy the Mercedes MkII

1. I still walk out and look at the car and think how beautiful she is. The car looks modern and sporty. I did like the look of the Sports version, but couldn't resist that AMG styling.

2. The quality of the materials inside the cabin is perfect. It is very hard to find a piece of hard plastic, they are there but you have to really look.

3. Build quality on the cars seems to vary from car to car. I think Mercedes have very little in final quality control, whether this is because they did not know how well it was going to sell and rushed them out I don't know.

4. I'm bored with talking to "Hey Mercedes". When I first got the car I was talking to it all the time, finding different ways of saying things or trying new things. Since then I have found that it is quicker just to press a button or use the touch pad, only using it to set the sat nav or search for a track. Talking of that....

5. The track pad is excellent, well placed and very responsive. Having had a hire car for a while when mine was in the dealer (a Vauxhall), I found how hard it was to keep leaning over to use the touch screen.

6. The AMG Line seats are the comfiest bucket seats I think I have ever sat in. Years ago I had a Ford RS2000 with Ricaro seats and I am sure the AMG Line seats are comfier.

7. The executive option was well worth the extra money. Having a lease car I don't normally pay extra for options, but I wanted the larger info screen. Afterwards I saw the two 7 inch screens and noticed they was recessed. I dont know why Mercedes did that and then flush fitted the other models. I'm not a lover of the recess.

8. The park assist still freaks me out. I still worry that it will not break when it is supposed to.

9. The folding mirrors are a waste of time. My last car the mirrors folding right into the car, this gave passing motorist less target to hit, but the Mercedes mirror back sticks out as far as the mirrors would do.

10. I can't believe the amount of places that Mercedes have found to put their mark on the car, from the centre wheel caps, AMG on each wheel, Mercedes of the sills, break calipers, in the headlights and the 3 star on the headlight covers and every piece of glass.

11. Wish it had an electric tailgate, which I'm surprised about considering it is standard on the GLA.

12. Wish that it did not have piano black on the centre console, looks so easy to scratch.

Basically I love the car, in my opinion it looks far better then any car in it's class. Sorry for all those who have had or still have problems with their cars, I know how you feel, but stick with it and it will all be worth while.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ive had mine (A250 AMG Line) a week now and covered about 1300 miles.

First impressions - good build quality, 10" TFTs are nice. I agree about the piano black, not sure on its robustness, or that of the seats tbh.

Fuel consumption isn't too bad - on a 280 mile run computer said 36mpg. When I filled it back up my calculator said 40mpg.

The ambient lighting makes me feel like I'm in a Hungarian Brothel :)

The engine is a peach, although the auto box has caught me out on occasions (that may be down to my not being used to an auto).

The lowness is an issue, speedbumps need to be negotiated carefully, instead of at my usual 30mph.

Some of the tech (I feel) has a poor UI and the sat nav is appaling. The lane warning is on the verge of dangerous.

Overall pleased with it, just wish some more thought had being put into some of the details.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
6. The AMG Line seats are the comfiest bucket seats I think I have ever sat in. Years ago I had a Ford RS2000 with Ricaro seats and I am sure the AMG Line seats are comfier.
yes bloody please!!!

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes bloody please!!!
Can't recommend the RS2000. It was a Mk5 with the bonnet humps, but slower then the A200. I suppose that is progress. Good for pulling the girls in my younger days, with the big sub in the boot and graphics down the side (Yes I was a boy racer).

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Can't recommend the RS2000. It was a Mk5 with the bonnet humps, but slower then the A200. I suppose that is progress. Good for pulling the girls in my younger days, with the big sub in the boot and graphics down the side (Yes I was a boy racer).

LOL i went through a couple of them (MKII) before moving to Capri's and had a rare RS2.8 which was just mental for its day

·
Registered
183 Posts
I agree with all of your points and have enjoyed hearing your feedback on your car(s) over the last few months.

I've had my A180 (AMG-line Auto) two weeks (and 1000 miles) now.

Build quality on mine feels really good. Solid and no excess wind noise or rattles.

I have the "value pack" (aka no pack) and find the 7" displays fine. I use CarPlay 80% of the time so wouldn't benefit from the wider screen. I do miss heated seats and front parking sensors, and if I was to lease again would probably go for the Exec pack, unless I was in a partially stingy mood again.

I like the seats, although my right knee is a bit sore. Probably me not having set up a perfect driving position yet.

The A180 is surprisingly nippy. Certainly no problem keeping up with traffic, including the M40 race-track. The engine has hugely quietened down over the last 1000 miles and the gearbox smoothness improved.

I hate lane assist and wish I could turn it off permanently. I always indicate, but if you use the "three-flashes" shortcut you are not given sufficient time to indicate clearly then change lane. You have to indicate and immediately move which I feel is dangerous.

Still, it appears to be a great car.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like the seats, although my right knee is a bit sore. Probably me not having set up a perfect driving position yet.
I have the same problem, which I do in most cars. I think it is the way I sit and I have short legs which doesn't help. I do tend to sit leaning on the centre arm. I also have a son who is 15 years old and nearly six foot and always sits behind me, so I have my chair closer to give him room in the back. But at least the door is not cheap plastic that would hurt more.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Had my A200 for 2 months now and initially i had some loud engine noise on 2nd and 3rd gear and stuttering when taking off and a bit of lag taking of on a hill, but once I hit 1000km those issue mostly disappeared.
Build quality is great, no internal rattles or squeaks. There is a little wind noise from the windows when going at high speeds and there's a crosswind, but its on par with other similar luxury german cars. I just thought it'll be quieter since its a Mercedes.

I have the dual 10 inch screens, and i took a test drive the other day on a car with the 10 and 7 inch combination screens and honestly its a big difference to me. I wanted to view the revs and consumption at the same time and I couldnt as the 7 inch screen only has one dial in the display.

In terms of power, it's adequate for my needs. My city is extremely hilly, there literally isn't a suburb that's completely flat, just on my way to work there's about four 500 meter steep hill climbs, and I have no issues, that also knocks fuel consumption alot, but I still manage around 9L/100km (excuse my metric ways, I don't understand why you guys still use miles and gallons).

I'm average height and the seats are extremely comfortable for me, had to spend some time adjusting it till i was comfortable though.

I used the park assist the first day I got it and never again, it's too scary. It stops and starts too abruptly for my liking.

I love the interior and the front exterior, still growing on the rear exterior, looks a bit generic from the back. I also find myself walking to my car staring at the front thinking "**** that's a good looking car".

I didn't take the satnav as it's going to be very difficult with any satnav to complete with Google, so Android Auto is used for my navigation.

I was initially worried about the ground clearance, but never really had a problem. Just once when I had 4 adults in the car, i scraped the mud flap over a speedbump.
The front is much lower than the back though, so climbing to park on a pavement must be done in reverse.

I barely use hey Mercedes anymore, it turns out its much faster to use the buttons or screen except for 1 scenario: to change the fan speed to max or off or set the temperature to the lowest, its faster using Hey Mercedes, as that requires multiple presses or touches.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I can understand why the linguatronic is of limited use to you, if you don't have the navigation; it's this area where I feel the voice control is at its most useful.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can understand why the linguatronic is of limited use to you, if you don't have the navigation; it's this area where I feel the voice control is at its most useful.
It's also useful for if you have a USB key to store your music. The USB key can hold thousands of songs, more then the MBUX can handle. I managed to get the MBUX to read 82 double albums with 20/21 tracks per CD. The USB had more on but the MBUX could not see them, but searching through the tracks by hand was a nightmare, so asking for a certain genre / album / artist or track was a lot easier.

This and the Navigation are the only time I use it now. A lot of switches are close to hand, I don't really need the weather and I haven't really found out what else it can do. I used to try the joke, but got fed up with "Sorry, my engineers was German".

·
Registered
38 Posts
I wanted to use the playlists on my iPod, but it is not recognised. Even though the Mercedes Guide specifically states that the iPod is a supported device :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you have lots of music stored in USB drive you can say "Mercedes play songs from xxxxxxxx" and she will automatically create a playlist with all songs she finds from that artist on your USB, I find the voice commands to be extremely useful with media, navigation and text messages, although for the later I use the apple car play, didn't try the MBUX default operation for reading and responding to text messages, don't even know if it works the same way.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My playlists were a mixture of artists.

For texts, I did manage to successfully dictate a response via MBUX the other day. Was surprised, but quite pleased. I can't remember the steps, but it was easy to do and I hadn't practiced.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My playlists were a mixture of artists.

For texts, I did manage to successfully dictate a response via MBUX the other day. Was surprised, but quite pleased. I can't remember the steps, but it was easy to do and I hadn't practiced.
Works well for the most time but I have had some messages coming back with "What did you say?", when MBUX got it wrong.

Talking of MBUX, it's a shame that they did not give her a name like Siri. I have named the car, well my kids named the car which they always do, but I think the voice system should have a name, so here are is what I am going to call her, Heidi Hey Mercedes, to go along with Sally Satnav and Lucy LG.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone,
I have the A180 with the executive pack. As mentioned by Voodoo101 and Brunocerq, the facility to ask for songs by artist name or genre or album, is fantastic. It is far too dangerous to manually scroll down the screen whilst driving.
Unfortunately for me, this facility no longer works. Now, as soon as I insert my USB, "Hey Mercedes " goes deaf! No searching for music, no searching for routes home, no weather info, nothing, nada, zilch!

So now I have to make the choice, USB Music or "Hey Mercedes", not both.

This issue has been present ever since the car went in to rectify a faulty temperature sensor. Apparently during their investigations to find the fault, a software update was performed. It has never worked since!

Has anyone got or had the same problem? or know of a fix? I have been communicating with MB in Germany but still no nearer after 10 months or so :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've had my a250 Premium for 3 weeks now. Here's my thoughts which are very similar to the original poster, so I've took the liberty of following his lead as it worked so well :)

1. I think it's a good looking car, certainly from the front, although I also think the back end is a bit generic. There again, my old BMW 1 series wasn't great at the back either.

2. I agree on the quality of the materials inside the cabin. I don't have the aluminium inserts, and while I agonised over that decision, I love the suede effect on the door now and am pleased I didn't get them. Not convinced on what the piano black will look like after a year or two.

3. Build quality seems good to me, although I've got an occasional rattle from below the steering wheel. Other than that, all OK so far.

4. Hey Mercedes is a bit of a novelty. It doesn't seem to get the radio station (ask for radio 5 and sometimes get radio 2 or radio 4. Ask for BBC Five Live and it works, ask for a local station and I get the FM version rather than DAB). So these have been set as favourites.

5. I've not got used to the track pad yet. Seems a bit tricky to control - I've found it easier to use the screen.

6. The AMG Line seats are very comfy. I was concerned about lack of lumbar or width adjustment, but they work well for me.

7. I went for the premium - I love the two big screens and the animated ambient lighting. Very happy with my choice. It's a lovely space to be in and has a 'wow' factor for anyone who's seen it.

8. The park assist worries me too. I also feel that it won't stop when it is supposed to and it makes some quite sharp movements at times. My old BMW felt much smoother and this one hasn't parked entirely straight at times. I think I need to learn to trust it more.

9. I agree the folding mirrors are a waste of time from a width point of view. But I find them handy as a visual check on whether the car is locked.

10. I dislike the tailgate. An electric one would set it off very well and I find that it doesn't shut with that same reassuring 'thump' you get from the doors. The covered reversing camera is clever. My other car's camera gets filthy in the winter.

11. My first week of ownership was a little fraught - there's got to be a better way to be introduced to the car than that massive handbook. Time well spent on Youtube finding those little hacks that really aren't obvious.

12. Eco mode actually makes a massive difference and that's down the the 'glide' function. It raised me from 37mpg to 44mpg on the same route to work. My BMW did little other than turn the air con down and to deaden the accelerator.

13. Performance out of the A250 is good. Not really wound i up while it's being run in, but it is brisk and effortless. The car has a bit of a dual personality; being luxurious when taking it easy to being sporty when driven. I just wish the engine sounded a bit better. It's a bit tinny and rattly on a cold morning and there's no great exhaust note. It is quiet when taking it easy though and almost silent when 'gliding'.

All in all - I love the car - worth the six month wait!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Agree with everyone else here. Car overall is great! I love how its is different to anything else in its class. Sure, it's got its small problems but it's a brand new high Tech car that has features that blow anything else in its class and a lot of other brands high end models out of water. No way am I going back to a boring cookie cutter car.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts