Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Went to MB World at the weekend and sat in a new A Class
Never been to MB world. Do they have demonstrators you can sit in for all of their current models or just the A class ?

Are they in the museum where anyone can go or is there a dealer next door who would quite reasonably want to sell cars ?

Thanks

·
Registered
220 Posts
For anyone (like me) having difficulties finding examples with the 7" screens, I came across this YouTube video. One of the rare (only?) ones with twin 7" screens.

He's kindly offered to video the MBUX next week.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Unless I’m mistaken (and I could well be) the centre screen experience looks just as good on the 7”. The icons are just closer together.

The instrument screen will certainly take some getting used to, but doesn’t look too bad.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think there will be a lot of disappointed buyers when they find out the 7 inch instrument screen can only show one dial. After all, this is supposed to be a mercedes not a mini. All that wasted black glossy screen space.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Unless I’m mistaken (and I could well be) the centre screen experience looks just as good on the 7”. The icons are just closer together.

The instrument screen will certainly take some getting used to, but doesn’t look too bad.
Yeah, they did not butcher the central console it's just compact, that's positive. I got a 7 inch instrument cluster and it works after some time. I can't deny that having 3 sections would have been more efficient and I think that'll come standard for the C-class and above. I wonder if the B-class will be stuck with the 7 inch "option" though chances are they do that (it is still a "baby" Benz).

·
Registered
220 Posts
I think there will be a lot of disappointed buyers when they find out the 7 inch instrument screen can only show one dial. After all, this is supposed to be a mercedes not a mini. All that wasted black glossy screen space.
Interestingly though, on lease the equivalent Mini was a fair bit more! :surprise:

I think three sections on the small screen would have been a bit cramped, but two would have fitted ok. Perhaps one round and one rectangular. Possibly considered not to be symmetrical enough.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks to you all - I have been trying for ages to get some proper shots/video of the standard MBUX. All I could find was the big screens. Good to finally see what they look like.

I've just ordered an A200 AMG Line Auto (personal lease) and it has the standard 7" screens shown in the video. They look fine to me to be honest.

It's arriving in December and is a stock car (great deal... £300 down, £300 a month, 3 years). I am very disappointed in the lack of CarPlay and Adaptive Cruise Control though (and the bigger screens would've been nice too) but given the deal, beggars can't be choosers!

Thanks again

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I have the 7 inch instrument cluster and I find it nice. It is nice not to have to try and see past the steering wheel to see the edges and a lot easier to control when you are driving. Being an automatic I don't worry about the rev counter only the speedo, when I change to nav it is right in front of me with the speed directly below.

I do have the exec pack so I have the 10.5 inch infotainment screen which is nice, what I also liked was the fact that the two 7 inch screens seemed to be a bit recessed, where as the 7 inch and 10.5 inch are flushed on one smooth surface. You don't really notice the extra black because that part is hidden by the steering wheel.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Very nice. I'm coming from a manual Golf GTD which has features I'l miss going into an A Class AMG: CarPlay, dimmed and folding mirrors, parking sensors.

The car I'm getting is in stock hence the deal. Anything extra means a factory order and it becomes mega expensive.

Just trying to resign myself to the fact that you can't have it all! haha

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Very nice. I'm coming from a manual Golf GTD which has features I'l miss going into an A Class AMG: CarPlay, dimmed and folding mirrors, parking sensors.

The car I'm getting is in stock hence the deal. Anything extra means a factory order and it becomes mega expensive.

Just trying to resign myself to the fact that you can't have it all! haha
I don't have CarPlay in mine, but from what I have read on here, it is not a major thing to lose. I do have folding mirrors, but to honest they don't really fold in because they stick out as much when folded as when they are out because of the mirror shape, my last car had folding mirrors that folded in and was slim. The parking sensors front and back are handy but I have had years of not having them so it would make no difference if I did not have them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
In my opinion, all those bits of techonology that comes with the A class is what it is all about. I did the test drive with an AMG line with 10.25" screens and ordered mine like the one i drove. I went back to the dealership because they forgot to add the 10" instrument cluster. Would be a major disappoint ther car had arrived with the 7" screens, for me it is one (of many) of the best things this car has.

·
Registered
220 Posts
For the price of one 10” screen I bought an iPhone X and Apple Watch! And I get to sell/trade them in after a few years, the lease extra is dead money.

Of course I’d have loved both, but the alternative cars had far worse than the 7”. It’s all relative. Have a look at the interior of the Ford Focus St-line X, which is the same price. Talk about depressing!

I will miss CarPlay, but only for Audible. Besides, I’m still hopeful it’ll be a downloadable upgrade as suggested in the Mercedes Me Store.

·
Registered
101 Posts
How are you guys finding the 7 inch instrument cluster so far?
Since building a car for me would take over 8 months, I have to look for something in stock or already on its way to the country.
And i've found a car in stock with everything I want at the right price, except for the 10 inch instrument cluster. I've played around with both the 10 and 7 inch cluster in the showroom but it's a bit different living with it everyday.
Are you guys happy with it? Do you find yourself wishing you had the bigger screen?
I appreciate the feedback. Thanks.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I took an A250 out for the afternoon the other week, which had 7 inch displays ... somebody had actually ordered a base model A250 and it had inevitably ended up as a demonstrator.

Whilst the 7 inch displays were still useful overall, I would not willingly choose them, finding them a bit claustrophobic, particularly the instrument display with room for only one dial. Neither did I appreciate the expanse of piano black bezel around the screens.

Needs must though and if you can live with the limitations, it's a matter of personal choice.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I have the A200 AMG Line with the Exec pack, this has the 7 inch instruments and the 10.5 infotainment. I don't think I could live with the 7 inch infotainment, mainly because the 10.5 inch looks so good with the space on it, although I have never used the 7 inch. With the instrument cluster, the 7 inch does everything I need and fits nicely in the middle of the steering wheel without having to look to the edges, normal clusters are not rectangular do they fit in the wheel. The only time I wish I had the bigger screen is when I see youtube videos, and that a "they have I want" mood, not when I think of cost or whether I need it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thanks for the feedback!
The car I was talking about is the same as yours @Voodoo101, it has the 10.5 inch infotainment screen with the 7 inch cluster.
The deep bezels of the dual 7 inch screens looks out of place in that car, but the mixed sized screens are flat and glossy and don't look that bad.
I'll have to sleep on this.
The other option in stock with both 10 inch screens is missing the LED headlights (it has the old style yellow halogen lights which isn't available in the UK, i've attached a pic), reverse camera, aluminium trim but it does have the multi link axle with adaptive suspension.

Attachments

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Thanks for the feedback!
The car I was talking about is the same as yours @Voodoo101, it has the 10.5 inch infotainment screen with the 7 inch cluster.
The deep bezels of the dual 7 inch screens looks out of place in that car, but the mixed sized screens are flat and glossy and don't look that bad.
I'll have to sleep on this.
The other option in stock with both 10 inch screens is missing the LED headlights (it has the old style yellow halogen lights which isn't available in the UK, i've attached a pic), reverse camera, aluminium trim but it does have the multi link axle with adaptive suspension.
I think the question you need to ask yourself is what do you prefer, I went for the A200 AMG Line because I liked the extra styling on the outside, the LED Lights and the sports seats, I thought the whole car looked better, but I could not afford that and the premium pack with the two 10.5 inch screens on top, so I decided that I would stick to the 7 inch, it does the same as the 10.5 inch just all in one dial. I do agree with the dual 7 inch screen and with the bezel and the extra expanse of black plastic did not look as good in my opinion, but it is everybody's own opinion on what they prefer.

I was quite surprised to see a picture of the A35 with the base 7 inch screens, I assumed that would be a standard 10.5 inch all round, infact I think that Mercedes should have put 10.5 inch instrument clusters in all the cars, but at least it is not as bad as Vauxhall, they have a funny system of half dial and LCD, where the LCD actually has half the dial and the other half is a standard dial on both sides.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thanks, that's the hardest thing for me to decide on now, LED headlights vs 10 inch instrument cluster.
I would be looking at the instrument all the time while driving as opposed to just using the LED's at night, on the other hand the LED's pick the car up so much as both the head and tail lights improve.

I think i'm going to be ending up tossing a coin.

21 - 40 of 82 Posts