Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
The 7" screens look absolute naff IMO.
They do, but only in comparison to the 10.25 screens. However, have the same functionality on the media screen and have lots more functionality on the instruments screen than two analogue dials.

I am getting my car (B180 Sport Auto) on Motability this month. I had it narrowed down to 3 cars as I require a higher seating position for entry/exit. Volvo XC40 R design manual, BMW 218i SE Active Tourer Manual or the B class. All three had deals on them from various dealerships around the country (Motability Deals | Motability Cashback Offers | MotaClarity).

The BMW, Volvo and the Merc all had deals where the advanced payment of £99, £799 and £999 respectively would be covered by the dealer. At the time, the BMW dealer would also give £250 cashback upon collection of the car (since price change in January now £500 cashback). I could have gone with the XC40 which has two huge screens or the BMW which had two smaller screens. The Volvo you have to do EVERYTHING through the centre screen. My sister has one and I find it a pain in the arse. The BMW is at the end of its life-cycle and a new one comes out later this year.

For me to move up to the two big screens it would currently increase that advanced payment from zero to £1,949 - £600 dealer contribution of £600, so £1,349. I couldn't justify that price difference as I have a wife and 12 year-old son who suffer from an ultra-rare genetic disease and we have to live very, very frugally as we have to regularly travel from Edinburgh to London (GOSH and Royal Free) for medical appointments.

What we do get with the B Class is the seemingly great, frugal engine, high seating position, heated seats, movable rear bench, automatic gearbox, lots of safety equipment and the ability to do everything without moving hands from the steering wheel enhancing that safety. As the B Class is an A Class that's eaten all the bacon rolls and still only weighs about 50kg more than the A class, I am assuming I will get close to the same mpg as the figures mentioned in this forum.

In 3 years time, we will have a look around again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi all,

Reading this thread with interest as I'm in the market for a second hand A Class.

I'm not really fussed about the ambient lighting and having test driven both AMG and Sport found the cabin noise a bit too loud in the AMG line presumably due to the bigger wheels.

The displays are more important to me, and it seems I can get a 19 reg exec for £20,500 but need to look over £22,500 for a premium. I definitely need the larger nav/media display, but how badly am I going to miss the larger driver display?

·
Super Moderator
2,437 Posts
Go for the big screens.
You’re going to be looking at them every day, every journey.

Regret is a terrible thing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the 7 inch instrument cluster and I find it nice. It is nice not to have to try and see past the steering wheel to see the edges and a lot easier to control when you are driving. Being an automatic I don't worry about the rev counter only the speedo, when I change to nav it is right in front of me with the speed directly below.

I do have the exec pack so I have the 10.5 inch infotainment screen which is nice, what I also liked was the fact that the two 7 inch screens seemed to be a bit recessed, where as the 7 inch and 10.5 inch are flushed on one smooth surface. You don't really notice the extra black because that part is hidden by the steering wheel.
Interesting comment this, thanks.

When I test drove I too found it was a bit of a struggle to see the top corners of the wider driver display unit, even though it looks A LOT nicer. But would I feel short changed with the smaller display? Exec pack with the larger nav is my minimum spec requirement.

·
Registered
2020 A35 Amg
54 Posts
Interesting comment this, thanks.

When I test drove I too found it was a bit of a struggle to see the top corners of the wider driver display unit, even though it looks A LOT nicer. But would I feel short changed with the smaller display? Exec pack with the larger nav is my minimum spec requirement.
I found the larger drivers display to be rather annoying, but you do need 10.25 inch media screen. The 7 inch drivers display is perfect to see through the steering wheel and its keen driver focused in my view. A large rev counter, what gear youre in and speed, with fuel etc either side.

But try it yourself and see if its something youd be happy with.

Heres what the drivers 7 inch is like.

·
Registered
145 Posts
You need the big displays. Sat in one with the smaller drivers display and it's very limited. Though if you have never had it you might not miss it.

·
Registered
2020 A35 Amg
54 Posts
You need the big displays. Sat in one with the smaller drivers display and it's very limited. Though if you have never had it you might not miss it.
Too much is cut off by the wheel. Ive had an E220d and an E400d and in both i used the AMG line central rev display as you can actually see all the key info without it all being cut off.

Old binacles were designed to fit within the steering wheel. Audi probably has the best drivers display as it is fully visible.

Peugeots are god awful, but their displays are also fully visible as theyve raised the height of the dash and lowered the wheel.

But anyway, he needs to try it himself.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Can I get a show of hands?

I've found a premium for really good money, about £2,500 less than any other 19 plate premium I've found. I called mercedes who said it had been a staff car at head office, so presumably they just dropped it on an auction site as they had no forecourt to put it on.

But it makes me nervous as it's not a main dealer. The bloke on the phone said 'my friend' about five times in as many minutes. When I asked 'can it be serviced to validate the mercedes warranty" the bloke said yes, but someone in the background was going 'No no no'.

The dealer reviews are about 50/50 delighted v horror story.

I'm buying the car not the dealer, but who would buy this car, and who would just admit they're going to have to pay more and run a mile?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Can I get a show of hands?

I've found a premium for really good money, about £2,500 less than any other 19 plate premium I've found. I called mercedes who said it had been a staff car at head office, so presumably they just dropped it on an auction site as they had no forecourt to put it on.

But it makes me nervous as it's not a main dealer. The bloke on the phone said 'my friend' about five times in as many minutes. When I asked 'can it be serviced to validate the mercedes warranty" the bloke said yes, but someone in the background was going 'No no no'.

The dealer reviews are about 50/50 delighted v horror story.

I'm buying the car not the dealer, but who would buy this car, and who would just admit they're going to have to pay more and run a mile?
Depends on the mileage it might not even have had a service and to validate the warranty as you put it I would simply get it serviced with official mercedes parts soon after buying.

It's under 3 years so it's under warranty l, get it checked by a decent mechanic, then buy it and enjoy a cheap car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just 2,000 miles, but it's July 2019 so needs A service.

On the face of it it's a bargain. I'm hoping they just don't realise what they have. But I'd rather get them to service it than part with £20k to find out there's a problem

·
Registered
145 Posts
Too much is cut off by the wheel.

Dont have anything being cut off... This is my phone held against the headrest as well. So your head and with especially having two eyes giving a wider perspective, I've never had to move my head to see anything on the screen. Even with my bigger paddles.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Depends on the mileage it might not even have had a service and to validate the warranty as you put it I would simply get it serviced with official mercedes parts soon after buying.

It's under 3 years so it's under warranty l, get it checked by a decent mechanic, then buy it and enjoy a cheap car.
My only real concern is perhaps it's had an accident that was repaired off the insurance, but if it was a mercedes staff member they'd have just got it done on the company policy I presume. As long as there were no in-between owners, it should be fine...

·
Registered
145 Posts
My only real concern is perhaps it's had an accident that was repaired off the insurance, but if it was a mercedes staff member they'd have just got it done on the company policy I presume. As long as there were no in-between owners, it should be fine...
Hence get it inspected. Get it on a ramp if possible, as they are too low to peer under.... Even a high kerb...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hence get it inspected. Get it on a ramp if possible, as they are too low to peer under.... Even a high kerb...
Just checked the car on gov.uk, and it says it is SORNed. Most dealer cars are just untaxed. Any idea why it would have a SORN on it?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Just checked the car on gov.uk, and it says it is SORNed. Most dealer cars are just untaxed. Any idea why it would have a SORN on it?
Just had tax actively removed, as its off the road, rather than lapsed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The polar white executive I had my eye on has been reduced to under £20k, but I'm still not sure how much I'd regret not having the bigger driver dash. Also, polar white seems to look a little creamy - I love digital white but there seem to be close to none on the second hand market

·
Registered
22 Posts
I actually chose the 7” screen version after the test drive with the all singing dancing version. Real life daily driving with all essential info to hand, not a prob, with a large saving! No brainer.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I actually chose the 7” screen version after the test drive with the all singing dancing version. Real life daily driving with all essential info to hand, not a prob, with a large saving! No brainer.
I actually got the premium for less per month than the exec due to residual values apparently including metallic paint. The plus model was a fortune more.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm paying cash for a year-old car so although most premiums are £1500 more than the exec, I've found one that's cheaper.
Either the garage don't realise, or there's something wrong with it. It's only got 2000 on the clock...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I drove the car. It's lovely and I definitely want the larger driver display.

Two issues.

They said they would service and it would count for the warranty as they are 'approved'. Is there any way to verify this?

Second, there's a fault with the airbags/sensors. When I got in the car it said left airbag fault, but the seats also registered as if all rear seats were occupied and neither of the front. Anyone had any experience of this issue?

61 - 80 of 80 Posts