Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've an A200d Sport, 2017, bought at 15k miles and 18 months old. Ever since I got it there has been a vibration, worst between 70-75mph.
First of all the tyres were balanced, no difference. Then it had 2 new tyres, no difference. Then it had 2 new wheels, no difference. Thankfully all at the expense of MB.
This last week it's been back in with instructions not to give it back until it was fixed. Today I got it back with new front discs and a chat with the workshop foreman.
They tried wheels from another car and my wheels on another car. The surprising thing was no difference to either car so the mechanics went out in 3 other sales A Classes and found each vibrated at the same speed to a lesser or greater extent with 74mph being the worst speed. Their conclusion is it's a characteristic of the model but as it's generally so slight most people don't notice it.
So has anyone else noticed a vibration between 70 and 75? Not necessarily through the wheel but possibly through the footrest or floor in the pedal area.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yes. I noticed this in my AMG A45 at about 2 1/2 years old with approx 17k miles. I put it down to the wheels needing balancing as the tyres looked good, but I didnt pursue it through the warranty as I traded it in shortly after.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the same problem in my 2013 180cdi, but it was fixed when I changed the wheels. It was due to a bad balancing.

But the worst part was in my last 200d, when y they balanced them and the problem stayed there. Finally I sold the car and no-one knew what happened.

Both with amg18" tires.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting, my last car was a 180cdi, 2013 and it suffered too. It started after I was crashed into in the front o/s and forced off the road on the n/s. I put it down to some unseen damage and like ml350btmatic I traded it in for my 200d never thinking it would have the same issue.

Seems to me there must be some sort of problem with the front geometry or maybe the steering system, valves or software maybe?

·
Super Moderator
2,244 Posts
I tried very hard this morning to detect any increase in vibration at 74mph, both at the foot rest, or centre cubby box, and the rear of the passenger headrest.

I put the car on cruise control at 74mph, and 80 mph (on a smooth private road, of course).

I also placed my phone on the centre armrest, with the vibration app monitoring the car at both speeds.

Couldn't detect any noticeable difference (but clearly there's a slight increase in vibration due to speed)!
(but this might not be of help to you, the W176 A45 has different geometry and setup to A200d)

First Graph is at 74mph
Second Graph is at 80mph

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
@veeeight im actually quite scared of you now

·
Registered
278 Posts
I had this issue which was solved by new tyres.

One thing you haven't mentioned is having the wheel alignment checked. Sounds like it might be worth it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I tried very hard this morning to detect any increase in vibration at 74mph, both at the foot rest, or centre cubby box, and the rear of the passenger headrest.

I put the car on cruise control at 74mph, and 80 mph (on a smooth private road, of course).

I also placed my phone on the centre armrest, with the vibration app monitoring the car at both speeds.

Couldn't detect any noticeable difference (but clearly there's a slight increase in vibration due to speed)!
(but this might not be of help to you, the W176 A45 has different geometry and setup to A200d)

First Graph is at 74mph
Second Graph is at 80mph

I had this issue which was solved by new tyres.

One thing you haven't mentioned is having the wheel alignment checked. Sounds like it might be worth it.

Thanks guys, I am thinking of trying laser wheel alignment, should have asked MB if they'd done it as part of the problem solving process. Possible castor issue do you think?
I've found if I put my left foot under the brake on the floor I can feel the ripples on the road surface like the rack isn't isolated enough from the bulkhead. Whether this is a build issue or a design one I don't know but I don't find it very satisfactory on a prestige car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts