Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Vendor
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since these have been very popular, i'd thought it might be a good idea to put up a specific topic on just the guards. Hopefully this will answer any questions that I regularly receive.
The guards started off from myself and a lot of owners voicing concerns of how many chips were appearing from stones and debris coming up and hitting the arch's, doors and lower skirts. I was fortunate with another forum member helping out with the initial designs and I developed the guards over time through around 12 revisions to where they are now.

The guards are laser cut from a 0.9MM very high grade Aluminium which proved to be the best thickness for conforming with the curve on the arch and also working with the OEM Mushroom clips. The design allows for a little movement in the fitting procedure which caters for differences model to model which means they fit any A/B or CLA class.

Once the guards are cut they are hard anodised with a fairly thick coating, this helps give them a long life and take some serious stick from stones and debris alike. There are 4 different variants currently which are - Satin Black, Satin black with carbon fibre vinyl, Edition 1 Carbon (red with Carbon Fibre Vinyl) and Edition Gold Carbon (Gold and Carbon).

Fitting is very straight forward and the steps are as follows:
- Remove both mushroom clips by firstly pulling out centre part, use a trim tool or kitchen fork for this.
- Clean the arch thoroughly with the supplied alcohol wipe to make sure there is no dirt, dust or grease.
- Slide the Arch Guard in between the arch liner and side skirt with the double sided tape facing the metal arch.
- Pop the Mushroom clips back in place through both the arch liner and the guard now in place.
- Heat double sided tape up gently with a hot air gun or hair drier.
- Remove the tape backing followed by hold the guard firmly into the arch for 30-60 seconds.
(Full Instructions are supplied with each set of guards)

All guards are available from the Carbonwurks store which can be found here -http://carbonwurks.com/product-category/mercedes-benz/a-class/

Now a few pictures! (last 2 pictures are of the latest revision, hence the slightly difference on the earlier other photos)

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I am waiting for mine, can't wait to have them fitted. Hope they help with the debris splashed up the doors in the rain too? Will find out soon enough.

·
Vendor
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lynne said:
I am waiting for mine, can't wait to have them fitted. Hope they help with the debris splashed up the doors in the rain too? Will find out soon enough.

They do all round cut down massively any sling off the wheel. They also do reduce road spray as well however, water does move around a lot more than solid objects so doesn't completely eradicate spray like it does with stones etc.

With any luck your guards will be with you today

Edited by: Carbonwurks

·
Vendor
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sweden said:
Just ordered these, mostly to protect the paint. They look great too as a bonus.

Your order is being sent out today and should be with you in Sweden shortly! Thanks for your order

·
Registered
86 Posts
Getting them fitted today. Should have got them sooner though, there's already a lot of damage done to the paint. And the car has only gone 9000 miles.

·
Vendor
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sweden said:
Getting them fitted today. Should have got them sooner though, there's already a lot of damage done to the paint. And the car has only gone 9000 miles.

Post some pictures up when they're fitted
It is amazing how much damage the sides of the cars get over time from stone chips.

Remember to get the tape nice and hot before sticking down

·
Registered
86 Posts
Carbonwurks said:
Sweden said:

Post some pictures up when they're fitted 
 It is amazing how much damage the sides of the cars get over time from stone chips.

Remember to get the tape nice and hot before sticking down 
Yeah that's true, I hope they help. I have a question though, I had it done at a shop and they didn't put the bottom part underneath the plastic, but over. Could this be a problem?
I didn't take a picture of it but I think you know what I mean.

Here's a pic I took, not that great though:

Just went and took a picture now, this is what I mean:

I should have done it myself but they were installing the Brabus exhaust and I thought they might as well do this at the same time.Edited by: Sweden

·
Registered
80 Posts
Interested in these, do you do a set with a green edge (to match my Elbaite Green)

·
Vendor
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sweden said:
Yeah that's true, I hope they help. I have a question though, I had it done at a shop and they didn't put the bottom part underneath the plastic, but over. Could this be a problem?

We generally recommend putting them inside of the plastic liner as they will hold better to the arch. They should be fine and wouldn't worry about it though.

Great pics! Really liking those wheels, what make are they?

·
Vendor
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Scotty_C said:
Interested in these, do you do a set with a green edge (to match my Elbaite Green)

Unfortunately not. We anodise in batches so hard to do certain colours unless we do them in bulk. We are trying to expand the range further but currently we offer the following : Satin, Gloss black (wrapped), Carbon Fibre effect, Edition 1 (red stripe with carbon), Edition Gold (gold stripe with carbon). The satin, gloss or carbon fibre versions will work nicely against the green but have had some customers go for the edition 1 red guards too.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Carbonwurks said:
Sweden said:

We generally recommend putting them inside of the plastic liner as they will hold better to the arch. They should be fine and wouldn't worry about it though. 

Great pics! Really liking those wheels, what make are they?
Thanks for quick reply. I think they should hold, right now they're sitting on there like they're welded to the car.

The wheels are MB-design. There are more pics in the mod section under Brabus exhaust w 176.Edited by: Sweden

·
Vendor
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sweden said:
Thanks for quick reply. I think they should hold, right now they're sitting on there like they're welded to the car.

The wheels are MB-design. There are more pics in the mod section under Brabus exhaust w 176.

Yeah when they are properly bonded on they will stick like concrete! They are still fully removable though.

Ah ok, very tidy looking car!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Carbonwurks said:
Sweden said:

The wheels are MB-design. There are more pics in the mod section under Brabus exhaust w 176.

Yeah when they are properly bonded on they will stick like concrete! They are still fully removable though. 

Ah ok, very tidy looking car! 
Thanks.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I did find that the flex for the guard seemed too much for the adhesive and there is a bit of a bridge/gap where they haven't stuck well enough. Maybe I didn't heat it up enough? If I were to remove and re-fit, what adhesive pads do I need to use?

(guards are great btw - and it's only me who sees the little gap when I'm washing car!)

·
Vendor
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A250_FL said:
I did find that the flex for the guard seemed too much for the adhesive and there is a bit of a bridge/gap where they haven't stuck well enough. Maybe I didn't heat it up enough? If I were to remove and re-fit, what adhesive pads do I need to use?

(guards are great btw - and it's only me who sees the little gap when I'm washing car!)

When you mean the gap do you mean the part where the arch meets the side skirt? If so there isn't a great deal you can do about this as some A classes have slightly different alignments. If there is a little bit more of a gap then the only way to get the guard to really stick down is to pull the old guards off, re-apply new tape and re-fit. Making sure the arch area is clean and grease free is important but also when installing putting enough heat into the tape to get it really sticky. Using some masking tape to hold the guards in place for a day after installation is a great failsafe too until the full bond is achieved

·
Registered
278 Posts
Yeah, my A Class seemed to have more of a curve than ones I've seen (such as on the video you made). What is the tape which comes on the guards if I wanted to get some more?

·
Vendor
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A250_FL said:
Yeah, my A Class seemed to have more of a curve than ones I've seen (such as on the video you made). What is the tape which comes on the guards if I wanted to get some more?

The tape we use used to be 3m VHB but now have a special tape made for us that copes with the humidity of different countries we sell to and also being black its more subtle than VHB which only comes in grey.

If you need some more tape, drop me a message and i'm sure we can sort getting some sent your way.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts