Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking into the reviews of the A class and majority have nothing good to say aout the A class besides its looks......

Whatcar, which etc all say the handling and suspension is terrible if you decide to go for the engineered. The 7 speed gear box feels clunky and not the best of shifts from it.

I have on order the engineered but after the reviews thinking of changing for the base model. Due to reading about the firm drive and how you feel every single bump on the road.

I have at home 2 Mercs and do not have a problem with the way they drive but again are completely different cars from the A Class.

What you peeps think of the A class Engineered in terms of driving/ handling/suspension/power etc

thanks

·
Registered
377 Posts
I too read every single review before my engineered arrived... previously had an Audi S3 with Stronic..

I think they are all rubbish... the drive and handling in the merc is far better than the Audi IMO.. I don't find the ride any firmer than the audi .. but it is a sports set up after all, this knocks the spots of the audi!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the reviews just seem to put people off the A Class which IMO is not fair. But it does worry me that there are hardly any good reviews lol

Although it does have sports suspension how firm is it? do you genuinely feel every little bump on the road? what you think of thecomfort in the ride it self?

·
Registered
90 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have an engineered and I love it. I used to drive an M3 at one point and THAT is hard. This is just a sports suspension. The engineered does not come with run flats which after having 3 cars on the trot with them...they make a difference to feeling every bump on the road.

The AMG sport has run flats and most of the reviews have been in these models from the ones I read which might explain comments about feeling every bump on the road and the suspension being stiff. However folks on here with AMG sports are saying it isn't bad. You should test some of the other models if you are seriously considering changing your mind, but I think you would be disappointed if you do!

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
If you read reviews for Audi and BMW you'll notice the same - most reviewers hate the s-line suspension on the Audi and the M-Sport / Run Flat setup on BMW.

It depends what you want - for better handling and IMO looks you need the sports setup. But there is a slight trade off with how hard it is. You soon get used to dodging potholes andspeed bumpsto stay comfy!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Forget the reviews. Look at all the real life comments on here. I have an AMG Sport with run flats and even that is a lovely ride. Go test drive! I've been to Devon and back today, 350 miles and I'm fresh as a daisy - which I definitely wouldn't be if the ride was like the reviews reckon.Edited by: mon2s

·
Registered
318 Posts
I had a 318 Ti M Sport BMW. I could even feel it if I ran over a matchstick but I loved the drive for the 4 years that I had the car. I have not driven an A Class but have ordered and waited 5 months! I know it will be hard but that is why I have bought an AMG Sport and not another Toyota Verso people carrier!Edited by: Anzz

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have an AMG Sport with run flats and the ride is definitely not a hard ride. I had a Fiat 500 Arbath for a while and I had to get rid of it because it was such a hard ride it wrecked my neck, and cost me a fortune in chiropractor fees ! The AMG Sport is a lovely ride.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Glad to hear it as I had an A3 SE which did my back in and that is why I've ended up in a people carrier! Soft seats and soft ride doesn't do anything for me! Looking forward to my AMG Sport on Friday with supportive seats and lumbar support! Bring it on!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a amg sport with runflats and believe me the ride is perfect compared with the audi a3 sline quattro,

·
Registered
56 Posts
Not long now Anzz - bet you are really excited - hope you get some sleep tonight lol, and can't wait to see some pictures.

Jan

·
Registered
318 Posts
Hi Jan, 9 hours and 25 mins but who's counting

·
Registered
318 Posts
It's neverstraightforward!
Just got a phonecall (Yes! 9.10pm) that they've forgot to tax it!
I'll still get it tomorrow but now after 2pm

Edited by: Anzz

·
Registered
56 Posts
the lol was to the countdown, not to the forgetting to tax it. I despair of these Main Dealers sometimes - how can they forget to tax it !!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
BTW don't want to deflate you, but are you aware the DVLA are on strike tomorrow afternoon. Better tell the Dealers to get down to the DVLA local office first thing as they are warning of disrupted services from 11.30 am onwards. Your local office may not be too affected, but I'd hate the dealers to turn up mid morning and get turned away.

Jan

·
Registered
318 Posts
I'd have been upset if it was saturday and I couldn't play but I'm at work so it's not really a big deal.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts