Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<table id="post2139442" ="tborder vbseo_like_postbit" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><t><tr valign="top"><td ="alt1" id="td_post_2139442" style="border-right: 1px solid #869BBF"><div id="post_message_2139442">Good day all,

Need some advise from forum users, i have 2013 model A-Class purchased brand new.

After a year the windscreen washer fluid stopped, so no water would spray.

Checked the water level, no problem there so naturally booked it in under warranty to Beaconsfield MB.

They investigated the situation and found a "Gel like" substance which
was blocking the jets and hoses etc in the the washer bottle.

Right next they proceeeded to blame me that i have put something other than washer fluid/water down the bottle.

I made it clear that it has only been serviced by MB and ONLY myslef has ever put WATER in the bottle.

I may not be a David Beckham look a like but I am not stupid.

Beaconsfield came up with that the bumber has to be removed the washer
bottle has to be removed and cleaned out all the hoses have to be steam
cleaned all for a price of £600.00!!!!!

Anyways after some argument they washed the jets out and I didnt have to pay.

Made a complaint to customer service which was a waste of time, they
replied back stating that I was at fault as I must have put something
down the washer bottle.

Yes ok so i would like to damage a £30,000 car for the fun of it. Worst customer service ever which i have all on email.

So here we are 6 months later and guess what the same situation has occured.

this time its booked in at Park Royal and they want £350.00 to complete the job.

So anyone got any advise for me?

Is this a problem that anyone else has had?

<div ="vbseo_s" id="lkbtn_1.194578.2139442">

</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td ="alt2" style="border: 1px solid #869BBF; border-top: 0px">

</td>

<td ="alt1" style="border: 1px solid #869BBF; border-left: 0px; border-top: 0px" align="right">

</td></tr></t></table>

·
Registered
984 Posts
crikey !

I never use their stuff but one from Halfords and touch wood no issues, however years ago with a Clio I did block the nozzles with this weird stuff that looked like frog spawn, I've always bought 5l containers and mixed a load up ready for use keeping it in old 5l bottles and one of them had some kind of spore stuff growing in it, never happened since but some kind of contamination.

All we did was take the pipes off the nozzles and flushed everything through with hot water, problem solved ,I'd give that a try before paying, good luck

Edited by: ALS391

·
Registered
134 Posts
So what did/do you use in the Washer Bottle? I normally use Halfords Concentrated stuff and I have had no problems, what you use may have! You may have a problem with mixing different chemicals that are setting into the "Gel"

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well im getting the car back today with a sample of what the gel like is.
The only thing i can think of is that the water that i put in didnt like the washer fluid they would have used in the service.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I only ever use bottled water. 2 litre Tesco value less than 20p. Can't think hard tap water is good for small pipies and a tiny price to pay.

·
Registered
423 Posts
How weird for that to happen! Do you have front washer jets for the headlights? As I Just wondered if they still worked ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have had exactly the same problem with 2015 c class which Drayton Mercedes sorted out free as a goodwill gesture although they insisted it was my fault for using cheap fluid which I buy in 5 litre containers.Foolishly I have used the same fluid in my wife’s 2013 A180 and now have the same problem.I am trying to find out how to remove the resovoir to clean out myself but Mercedes make it very difficult for any home maintenance.
Cannot find any items on internet detailing the removal of the bottle.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Majorman
You MUST contact me directly.
I have gone through this twice & know exactly what the problem is. I’ve posted threads a few time on the forum & the problem is....
MB have fitted a small rubber plug into the washer pump. It has a very fine filter that gets blocked. It’s a known problem not only the A class (s/mngr at main dealer told me) it applies for example to C class as well & it was resolved by removing & throwing the plug away. On the 1st occasion they replaced pump (as goodwill) problem occurred again this time I insisted “throw the effin plug away” I have photos (they gave me the plug) but don’t know how to upload them hence pm me. I was charged £80 labour 2nd time. Had MB service every year, they were the only ones to top washer bottle up (very low mileage 5 yrs less than 20k) so all this shite about owners fault .....crap

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got a similar problem. I have a 16 plate A Class.

Today, I mistakenly put some anti-freeze in the reservoir. It was pretty weak (only about 1/4 of a small bottle to a whole reservoir of water).

I wanted it all out of the system so I drained it using the front jets. I covered the jets by placing some cloth over them so it wouldn't spray all over the paint work or window.

Ever since then, the front jets are lame. They don't spray a fine mist any more, they spout water (seems like the same volume, but just no mist).

I've refilled and drained the tank several times (including once with warm water) and air dusted the jets on the front to clear them out.

The pump is going too, and the back window works fine.

Could this be just the jets on the front- before I get MB to start messing about with it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Majorman
You MUST contact me directly.
I have gone through this twice & know exactly what the problem is. I’ve posted threads a few time on the forum & the problem is....
MB have fitted a small rubber plug into the washer pump. It has a very fine filter that gets blocked. It’s a known problem not only the A class (s/mngr at main dealer told me) it applies for example to C class as well & it was resolved by removing & throwing the plug away. On the 1st occasion they replaced pump (as goodwill) problem occurred again this time I insisted “throw the effin plug away” I have photos (they gave me the plug) but don’t know how to upload them hence pm me. I was charged £80 labour 2nd time. Had MB service every year, they were the only ones to top washer bottle up (very low mileage 5 yrs less than 20k) so all this shite about owners fault .....crap
Charlie Boy, my 2013 A180D has recently picked up this problem of dribbling out the jets, with no pressure. Where abouts is the rubber plug located?

thanks

Kriswillow

·
Registered
27 Posts
Having the same problem.
Took the pump out, even tried replacing it. Had no luck. Used an air line at work to check my hoses weren’t clogged, they are fine.
I dont see the plug/filter Charlie is speaking about so I have no idea what to do now. I ain’t spending £££ at Mercedes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Same mate. I’m not paying £100’s at Mercedes. Mine are just dribbling out. Very annoying even more so in this weather. I read in another post about loose wiring could be the problem if you’ve had your bonnet open recently and knocked a connection loose when shutting it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Pump works, hoses cleane, if you a scoosh a small bit of air into the bottom of the tank where the pump inserts into the water bubbles upto the top where you fill it up. I honestly have no idea it’s driving me insane!!!! The not funny thing is it happened to my BMW too. I picked up my Mercedes 2 months ago, excited just to have window washers that work (sad) and they only worked for a week lol

·
Registered
427 Posts
This rubber filter is fitted in the bottom of the washer bottle & is what gets blocked. Mine was removed by MB & I have not had any problems over last 2 yrs

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for reply mate. So is this in the hole where the pump goes into the tank? I’m gonna get the wheel off again tonight I’ll post pics soon

1 - 20 of 38 Posts