Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy guys,

I am new here... Perhaps I should introduce myself properly on the newbie forum...

Anyway, I am mostly here because I just bought myself a new car... And it's an A Class!!

I have to admit, my heart beats for beautiful Alfa Romeos... but we all know that when the rational head is screwed on, they just don't represent value for money... So I decided to go German. Was choosing between an A3 and the A Class and got what I think is a really decent deal, aided by a sale, a bit of wiggle from my dealer and the fact I was buying a pre-built car in a range which will soon be updated. Winner for me! (Hint, it wasn't the A3!) If I'm honest, I didn't expect to end up buying the Merc, although I think they are really good looking cars.

I was on a budget, so as much as I'd have loved a specced out A45 (or indeed a top drawer A3, they're genuinely lovely) I managed to get myself the car described in the title within my budget. Could have had an A180 for about the same money (SE, no Exec pack), but that wouldn't have allowed room for any extras at all... (Plus I don't think they had any pre-built at anything other than basic spec).

I didn't have a choice on colour, so although I fancied Mountain Grey or Black, I have got Polar silver, with a manual box and in petrol. Couldn't go lower than AMG Line for looks or Exec Pack for kit driving up and down the M25, although I would have really liked Premium or Premium plus (it's hardly essential, but that panoramic roof appeals to me).

It's already built, as I said, so I can have it in 10 days, but I think I might take them up on the offer of delaying registering it until the new plates come along. For the sake of a couple of weeks, I suspect that could help it hold a little extra value in a few years' time. I can't wait though!

I did have a couple of afterthoughts...

1. being that it's a shame DAB radio isn't standard. I once had a Ford Fiesta as a courtesy car which did have it (I think they all do now) and it was really good.
2. I find it odd that going 'up' in trim level from Sport to AMG Line results in the headlights being downgraded from LED to standard. Only realised this after buying and have to say, I am disappointed. Anyone else managed to negotiate an upgrade there, or managed to organise them aftermarket? I feel if there's anything I'd change or add... that would be it. Obviously it doesn't matter if you have Premium or Premium Plus equipment, but sadly, I don't.

Anyway, just thought I'd say hi, talk through my journey to becoming a Mercedes A Class driver and I look forward to drawing on everyone's knowledge and contributing as I get more experience with the car.

Cheers guys (especially to anyone who made it to the end of my excitable ramble!)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hi and welcome!
I agree, it's a shame DAB radio doesn't come as standard, it does in many other cars but then the A Class comes with a lot of other kit that isn't standard on other cars; reversing camera, cruise control, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto are just a few examples!

In regards to LED headlights, I didn't notice this until recently when looking at the brochure. I went with the Premium pack on mine because I wanted the high performance LEDs. I don't think you'll be able to negotiate an upgrade because they cannot be retrofitted, you'd be better trying to negotiate on a car with the Premium pack instead.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi there OJ

Yeah, I even got them to do a search and there wasn't a single pre-built A-class with DAB installed, which I was shocked by.

I looked on carwow (which I admit, I hadn't heard of until I came on here) and found that you can get a car with the Premium for barely any extra (£50-£100) over the Executive by buying through there. Trouble is, that would have meant a reasonable wait for me and I am not sure what numbers would have come out on the finance and I really needed something more quickly and on budget. It's difficult to compare the figures you get with what carwow throws up, because of the different ways discounts are applied etc, I also took the scotchguard and curbed wheel protection (I am bad for killing alloys!!)

On the headlights I am wondering how hard I should have pushed at the point of sale to try and find a premium model rather than Exec. That was the main thing I would have wanted from the upgrade, but I didn't really clock the difference until I looked into it more afterwards. I asked the dealer and they were 100% unwilling/unable to do anything about it, as you say, retrofitting doesn't seem possible.

I have already put a deposit down on the car and there are none in the spec I want already built and available, so looks like I am stuck with what I have.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts