Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am contemplating purchasing a new shape A class and stuck between an A160 (1.6 petrol - 122BHP) and the A180D (109 BHP)

I know the diesel is more economical but is the performance better in the 1.6 petrol?

I know 0-60 the petrol is faster but I can't seem to find any figures for 50-70 which is probably the most useful acceleration.

Views from people who have driven both or pointers to more detailed performance figures would be great.

Also, what would be the "cheap" options you think one of these cars can't do without ?

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
240 Posts
How many miles do you do? The diesel will be more expensive initially so unless you're gonna be doing enough miles to recoup that from the improved fuel consumption you would probably be better off in the petrol. Performance isn't too different between the two is it? Less than a second for 0-60?
By going for the petrol you'll also be able to get some additional extras for the same price as the diesel, theres probably a couple of thousand £ difference.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I realise it will be cheaper but I was wondering if there were any performance figures, particularly around 50-70 acceleration times, that I could compare the two engines with ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have an A180d. this is by far the slowest car I've ever owned. on the A roads it's fine, infact it feels like it pulls well when it's in sport mode. Even on the motorway it doesnt skip a beat when I take it up passed 90mph. where I feel it the most is joining the motorways, from 50mph to 80mph is just a dead spot. maybe its the way I'm driving it, I'm not sure, but it feels like I'm whiping an old horse

·
Registered
381 Posts
i would suggest that theres something wrong with your a-class then,we have a 1500 cdi plus ive driven a few other which are quite nippy for what they are,the other night piss poor weather i had to be in birmingham airport for 11pm,cruising up the m50 then bash its closed,de tour through to gloucester to pick up the m5,then the motorway slip roads shut,another de tour through some lanes following the black dots lol,anyways i got to the m5,i am a bit annoyed with myself as my lil a180 cdi was flying at well over the 100 mph mark,i should know better as i got caught on m4 wiltshire doing 115 mph in a poxy astra sxi????????
Edited by: btc201

·
Registered
19 Posts
I bought an A180 petrol, very veery happy with my choice. The car just pulls in every gear, there is no need for the car to be pushed hard!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Completely agree with that. The A180 Petrol is a really good engine and will have more to it than the A160 petrol.

I think the 0 to 60 time in the petrol is 8.9 manual and 8.6 automatic and the diesel is 11.3 so there is quite a bit of difference.

I think the A180 Petrol is on a par with the A200d.

I've only done 400 miles in mine but I've got 43-44 mpg so far in 50/50 comfort and sports mode. I drive on the motorway and on extra urban a roads so there is very little town driving in that or traffic.Edited by: JamesHowell91

·
Registered
240 Posts
JamesHowell91 said:
Completely agree with that. The A180 Petrol is a really good engine and will have more to it than the A160 petrol.

I think the 0 to 60 time in the petrol is 8.9 manual and 8.6 automatic and the diesel is 11.3 so there is quite a bit of difference.

I think the A180 Petrol is on a par with the A200d.

I've only done 400 miles in mine but I've got 43-44 mpg so far in 50/50 comfort and sports mode. I drive on the motorway and on extra urban a roads so there is very little town driving in that or traffic.

Whats it like in traffic? I'm looking at switching back over to an A Class and was considering the A200d, A180 or A160 - I had an A180d before and it was decent enough, I just always felt like I wanted something with a bit more shove. I also found that at high motorway speeds and with a few people in the car it would struggle.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My A160 does mostly town driving and a mixture of motorways at weekends, I average 43-45mpg (I'm normally in Sport mode at weekends)

Great engine although full car and a 2 mile long hill will see a downshift needed... (too keep at 70-75)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts