Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm looking at changing my Leon DSG for an A200 auto and I've got a quick question about the gearchange. Is there a 'manual' mode where the car doesn't take back auto control of the gearchanges, leaving it fully in flappy-paddle mode?

I use this all the time in my Leon (it's quicker and more economical than auto) and would really miss it if it's not available.

Any opinions on the Merc gearbox in comparison to the Leon DSG?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Someone will have to correct me if i'm wrong but I've not actually seen a mode that allows you to select manual gears in the W177 unlike i had in the W176. I've only had the car 6 months and it's not something i'd use, i'm sure i would have seen an "individual" mode like on my last model though.

As far as the gearbox is concerned, i can't compare it to the DSG but i don't like it at all. I believe the one in my A180d is the same as the A200 but despite having it reset and the software updated at the dealer, it's still annoys me due to it's constant dropping down of the gears, i'm ready to get rid of this car as soon as i possibly can.

EDIT

I've actually just read that it does still have the individual mode, hopefully someone can confirm soon.

·
Registered
208 Posts
You can set manual gear changes all the time in individual mode. You can change manually in full auto with the paddles but it will revert back to auto after a short period without any changes.

·
Registered
128 Posts
You can set manual gear changes all the time in individual mode. You can change manually in full auto with the paddles but it will revert back to auto after a short period without any changes.
I guess I've just spent so little time in the car due to it being at the dealers and then sat on my drive doing nothing, I've not had a chance to notice anything other than how much i dislike the gearbox.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's good to know. Probably not quite as easy as knocking the gear lever over to the side as in the Leon, but still looks pretty simple.

Thanks for your help. 🙂

·
Registered
122 Posts
I use mine in manual all the time, removes all the annoying problems from A200 gearbox being erratic, and I actually find it more fun, and quicker changing than a manual... I got the extended paddles , makes it much easier.

·
Registered
MB A250 4M W177
245 Posts
Lower than A220 got gertag gearbox which is yhm worse(?) than MB 7G-DCT, got some issues with changing gears, jerking etc
And yes on individual mode u can set manual changin, on auto after shiftpaddles it will revert back after some seconds

·
Registered
696 Posts
I guess I've just spent so little time in the car due to it being at the dealers and then sat on my drive doing nothing, I've not had a chance to notice anything other than how much i dislike the gearbox.
🤣 🤣 🤣

·
Registered
19 Posts
I previously had Leon 1.5 with DSG and have A200 1.3 turbo with auto. I think the Merc feels faster and a lot smoother. In Sport mode with Manual use of paddles it is a tremendous drive where the road demands but rightly the system takes over and reverts to auto as required by the systems, but with a simple flick of the paddle you’re back on it- no probs. Overall superior to the DSG, which had well documented issues.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I use mine in manual all the time, removes all the annoying problems from A200 gearbox being erratic, and I actually find it more fun, and quicker changing than a manual... I got the extended paddles , makes it much easier.
Maybe wrong place to post this but has Anyone else noticed if you turn stop start function off the auto on a200 changes are much better I have only tried in comfort mode but does seem improved.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Maybe wrong place to post this but has Anyone else noticed if you turn stop start function off the auto on a200 changes are much better I have only tried in comfort mode but does seem improved.
I'm gonna give that a try, gear changes are all over the place on mine at the moment...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts