Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Does anyone know if there are any updates for the A200 Gearbox?

I’ve had my A200 for a few weeks now and find the gearbox does a odd thing when in second gear it’ll sit around 2000rpm and they’ll be a slight vibration (almost can describe it like if you’re in too low of a gear in a manual car you feel it dying off) - it’ll then change gear and they’ll be a judder.

What I’ve also noticed is that if I brake to stop for a roundabout for instance - the revs seem to go up slightly even though the cars stationary - not sure if this is a design feature to get the car off the mark?

I know the gearbox in the A200 is somewhat controversial between people after doing some digging) - but wondered if anyone’s had a similar problem and had an update or something similar? The car is a 68 Reg and just due it’s first service so not sure if there’s any updates since it was built new!

thanks all

·
Registered
373 Posts
My A200 AMG Line auto is around 2 months old (69 reg) & has none of the issues you describe. However you're not the first person here to complain of these issues.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Sam, I started a thread in the Technical category about this. I have come to the conclusion that it's got to do with the cylinder deactivation. Vibration starts when I'm at about 1700-2000 rpm. Try turn off Start/Stop and you will hopefully notice that the vibration goes away. Cylinder deactivation is not enabled when in Sport mode or the Start/Stop is disabled.

I have a 2020 model and took delivery of it a month ago. I don't think there are any software updates for this, at least not yet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Sam, I started a thread in the Technical category about this. I have come to the conclusion that it's got to do with the cylinder deactivation. Vibration starts when I'm at about 1700-2000 rpm. Try turn off Start/Stop and you will hopefully notice that the vibration goes away. Cylinder deactivation is not enabled when in Sport mode or the Start/Stop is disabled.

I have a 2020 model and took delivery of it a month ago. I don't think there are any software updates for this, at least not yet.
Hi Tom thanks for the reply.

I took the car out for a few long drives today and switched stop start off each time and you’re 100% right it stops the vibration that I was describing.

Not sure if this was also a product of it but switching stop start off has eliminated the jerky gear changes which was directly after the vibration.

Feels like the car it should be now - I wonder if Mercedes plan to bring an update out for this? I’ll be switching stop start off every time I get in the car I think!

Thanks again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Sam I'm glad it worked for you too. Those vibrations are quite annoying so I'm glad there's a way to get rid of them.

I really hope Mercedes will address this in an update soon. It kind of defeats the purpose of having the start/stop function. It's in city traffic it is useful. I will definitely be switching it off every time I drive in the city.

Next time I'm out for a drive I will test if I notice any difference in the gear shifts as well, but when I think about it, you may be right!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi All

Does anyone know if there are any updates for the A200 Gearbox?

I’ve had my A200 for a few weeks now and find the gearbox does a odd thing when in second gear it’ll sit around 2000rpm and they’ll be a slight vibration (almost can describe it like if you’re in too low of a gear in a manual car you feel it dying off) - it’ll then change gear and they’ll be a judder.

What I’ve also noticed is that if I brake to stop for a roundabout for instance - the revs seem to go up slightly even though the cars stationary - not sure if this is a design feature to get the car off the mark?

I know the gearbox in the A200 is somewhat controversial between people after doing some digging) - but wondered if anyone’s had a similar problem and had an update or something similar? The car is a 68 Reg and just due it’s first service so not sure if there’s any updates since it was built new!

thanks all
Hello, there are gearbox updates that can be uploaded to your car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello guys,

I have noticed that i hear small noises coming from gearbox when i leave my foot from the pedal or when changing gears with low revs especially from 2nd to 3rd. Some of these noises are barely heard, but they are annoying. I believe that i hear them more frequently now.

Has any of you heard any weird rattling noises coming from gearbox? You need to have radio off to hear them.

Thanks

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hand mine a week or so and have noticed the vibration when going through start of the rev range in second sometimes. Supposedly had a gearbox software update, at my request, while it was recently in for repair for a unrelated matter. Still happening on occasions but it’s not terrible now, less vibration and for a much shorter rev range, can’t be sure anything was done though.

I do find second gear too long in both comfort and sport mode and also in comfort I find it changes down to second too soon, this is particularly annoying when travelling in 20-30mph zones with speed bumps. Always going from second to third and back.

Hopefully there is custom map available now or sometime in the near future as it’s not a bad little engine apart from some quirks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi guys, I haven't noticed any unusual noises from my gearbox. About the long gears Deejay mentions, I have noticed it too, but for me it's the 3rd gear that is too long and it is in 3rd, just before shifting to 4th at around 2000 rpm I notice those vibrations. So now I either switch off Start/Stop or manually shift to 4th gear earlier than the auto would.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts