Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Does anyone know if there are any updates for the A200 Gearbox?

I’ve had my A200 for a few weeks now and find the gearbox does a odd thing when in second gear it’ll sit around 2000rpm and they’ll be a slight vibration (almost can describe it like if you’re in too low of a gear in a manual car you feel it dying off) - it’ll then change gear and they’ll be a judder.

What I’ve also noticed is that if I brake to stop for a roundabout for instance - the revs seem to go up slightly even though the cars stationary - not sure if this is a design feature to get the car off the mark?

I know the gearbox in the A200 is somewhat controversial between people after doing some digging) - but wondered if anyone’s had a similar problem and had an update or something similar? The car is a 68 Reg and just due it’s first service so not sure if there’s any updates since it was built new!

thanks all

·
Registered
116 Posts
My A200 AMG Line auto is around 2 months old (69 reg) & has none of the issues you describe. However you're not the first person here to complain of these issues.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Sam, I started a thread in the Technical category about this. I have come to the conclusion that it's got to do with the cylinder deactivation. Vibration starts when I'm at about 1700-2000 rpm. Try turn off Start/Stop and you will hopefully notice that the vibration goes away. Cylinder deactivation is not enabled when in Sport mode or the Start/Stop is disabled.

I have a 2020 model and took delivery of it a month ago. I don't think there are any software updates for this, at least not yet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Sam, I started a thread in the Technical category about this. I have come to the conclusion that it's got to do with the cylinder deactivation. Vibration starts when I'm at about 1700-2000 rpm. Try turn off Start/Stop and you will hopefully notice that the vibration goes away. Cylinder deactivation is not enabled when in Sport mode or the Start/Stop is disabled.

I have a 2020 model and took delivery of it a month ago. I don't think there are any software updates for this, at least not yet.
Hi Tom thanks for the reply.

I took the car out for a few long drives today and switched stop start off each time and you’re 100% right it stops the vibration that I was describing.

Not sure if this was also a product of it but switching stop start off has eliminated the jerky gear changes which was directly after the vibration.

Feels like the car it should be now - I wonder if Mercedes plan to bring an update out for this? I’ll be switching stop start off every time I get in the car I think!

Thanks again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Sam I'm glad it worked for you too. Those vibrations are quite annoying so I'm glad there's a way to get rid of them.

I really hope Mercedes will address this in an update soon. It kind of defeats the purpose of having the start/stop function. It's in city traffic it is useful. I will definitely be switching it off every time I drive in the city.

Next time I'm out for a drive I will test if I notice any difference in the gear shifts as well, but when I think about it, you may be right!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts