Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
As title states, my a200 petrol makes a constant hissing sound from the turbo when under load. Easily heard with windows down driving at night and even more audible when driving next to concrete barriers. Familiar with turbo sounds and this sounds like pressure constantly escaping from either wastegate or a turbo hose. Just checking to see if everyone else has it? Never experienced it on my w176 a250 but they were different engines.

·
Registered
436 Posts
The M282 engine found in the A200 has an electronic controlled wastegate that constantly adjusts boost pressure for various engine loads.

Could be that you're hearing...?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Saying that, I haven't noticed any hiss from my A200. I'll listen out for it though tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Not quite sure about the constant sound under load. But I’m pretty certain that it makes a blow off valve hiss when releasing the throttle under load.

Also, does anyone’s A200 “farts” when upshift in sport/manual mode? Mine does sometimes, mostly under load and when shift around 4000 rpm.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks user4 if you guys can have a listen over the next few days and let me know. There is a possibility it could be the wastegate adjusting but I have never heard it hiss this bad on any of the turbo cars I have had including the a250 w176 I had. Mine does have a bit of a blow off sound too, hisses on load and blowoff noise after. Just makes me feel like there is a leak somewhere as it's noticeable with about half power with steady acceleration, especially up slight inclines.As far as farts go, I have the non gpf model which makes mine do it pretty good in sports mode.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Thanks user4 if you guys can have a listen over the next few days and let me know. There is a possibility it could be the wastegate adjusting but I have never heard it hiss this bad on any of the turbo cars I have had including the a250 w176 I had. Mine does have a bit of a blow off sound too, hisses on load and blowoff noise after. Just makes me feel like there is a leak somewhere as it's noticeable with about half power with steady acceleration, especially up slight inclines.As far as farts go, I have the non gpf model which makes mine do it pretty good in sports mode.
After a couple of days of experimenting & listening on my commute I can't hear any particular outstanding 'hiss'.
I'm not entirely sure but I think my car has a GPF (I'm in the UK) so that may affect the presence/volume of a 'hiss'.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for that user4. I have also been replicating it and is easy to do in comfort mode with about half throttle. It seems like when the turbo winds up it starts hissing quite orominantly followed by blowoff when throttle is released. If I give it full throttle in manual mode starting in low revs you can hear the turbo spool nicely but in that medium throttle mark in comfort it just hisses so much and interrupts the normal turbo sound.Cupgang can you please elaborate on your statement??

·
Registered
2018 A200 AMG Line Executive pack
117 Posts
Not quite sure about the constant sound under load. But I’m pretty certain that it makes a blow off valve hiss when releasing the throttle under load.

Also, does anyone’s A200 “farts” when upshift in sport/manual mode? Mine does sometimes, mostly under load and when shift around 4000 rpm.
I’ve not noticed any hiss on mine - but I have heard the ‘fart’ as you said. I quite like it!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all
As title states, my a200 petrol makes a constant hissing sound from the turbo when under load. Easily heard with windows down driving at night and even more audible when driving next to concrete barriers. Familiar with turbo sounds and this sounds like pressure constantly escaping from either wastegate or a turbo hose. Just checking to see if everyone else has it? Never experienced it on my w176 a250 but they were different engines.
Bumping this as I'm getting the exact same noise and cant find a solution in any forum.

I have 200 engine and it hissed as soon I took delivery. I went back to the dealer a few months later after the run in and the dealer said it's a normal sound coming from the turbo or wastegate and it is a normal sound so nothing was done to rectify the noise.

A year went by and the noise is a lot louder now, hissing is constant in comfort mode at 1500-2500 RPM and when changing from 3rd to 4h gear. Then follows with a blow off sound as if it's dumping a whole of bunch of air out. It is annoying and very loud. I have it booked with the dealer again to have a relook but I'm afraid they will say the same thing.

If you have a solution can you please let me know???? I will tell the dealer exactly where to look

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any noticeable performance loss?
Nope.

I had a loan car and it was a brand new a200 with about 1500km. I turned the music off and could faintly hear the hiss, like the first day I drove my car. You have to listen out for it but it was there on the loaner. I reckon over time it will be as loud as mine

1 - 12 of 12 Posts