Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I am new here, just purchased a small A200 Turbo, after now driving it for several weeks I am a little bit hesitant with "spirited driving" aspects of the car. I feel that although for a car of such small stature produces a decent amount of grunt, however, I always feel that the body roll and general handling seem to be really spongy and lacking feel.

So with this in mind, I wanted to see if I could find any aftermarket parts such as: Front & Rear Anti Roll Bars, Strut Brace, Adjustable Coilover and Spring Kit, and potentially some wheel spacers (as the wheels have been updated by dealership to 18" AMGs so don't really want to buy wider set of wheels and tires hence the budget option).

After looking around the web there does not appear to be any real aftermarket parts for this car, so I wanted to ask;

• Has anyone else had success with improving the ride handling on this type of car?

• Does anyone have any links to any websites that do decent (not boy racer) modifications for A200 2.0 Turbo?

• Does anyone know if upgrade parts exist as per above for this type of car?

Thank you all in advance :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
hello, i'm driving a renault modus now.
i want buy a200 turbo my fear is the body roll and bad handling, i want to improve in some ways from the same handling i have now on the modus.
also i a sport car with 193cv so I'd love to do fast corner.

·
Registered
436 Posts
i want buy a200 turbo my fear is the body roll and bad handling, i want to improve in some ways from the same handling i have now on the modus.
Would you not be better off buying a W176? Lower centre of gravity, wider & a lot more sporty.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
W168 had this issue, which failed the 'Moose Test' i.e. it ended up on its roof. W169 had this issue fixed by MB, so it's a lot more stable on the road.

I have change my alloys and increased the width to 7.5 from original 7 @ 18 inch alloys and this has significantly improved handling!

I am looking to get new coilovers to reduce the vehicle height further (30mm on the front and 25mm on the back), so it should lower the centre of gravity even further. Now, when I put my foot down off the lights, the car is incredible (no skidding or mass body roll).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey Guys,

I am new here, just purchased a small A200 Turbo, after now driving it for several weeks I am a little bit hesitant with "spirited driving" aspects of the car. I feel that although for a car of such small stature produces a decent amount of grunt, however, I always feel that the body roll and general handling seem to be really spongy and lacking feel.

So with this in mind, I wanted to see if I could find any aftermarket parts such as: Front & Rear Anti Roll Bars, Strut Brace, Adjustable Coilover and Spring Kit, and potentially some wheel spacers (as the wheels have been updated by dealership to 18" AMGs so don't really want to buy wider set of wheels and tires hence the budget option).

After looking around the web there does not appear to be any real aftermarket parts for this car, so I wanted to ask;

• Has anyone else had success with improving the ride handling on this type of car?

• Does anyone have any links to any websites that do decent (not boy racer) modifications for A200 2.0 Turbo?

• Does anyone know if upgrade parts exist as per above for this type of car?

Thank you all in advance :)
This is what I can tell you from driving my W169 at the limit on many occasions, they are just observations more than anything. I'm on 15" steels with very good brand new tires but apparently the 16" are best compromise between ride and handling. Also according to the MB tech manuals I have, the A150 has no rear torsion bar (anti roll bar) which may make my experience different.

It's a very good HANDLING car, the engine laying so low and the weight of the engine and transmission being entirely behind the front axle make it extremely agile. You get very precise steering and turn in, for electric steering the feedback is actually rather good. You are relying on the front end to do literally everything, the rear wheels are not even connected by an axle, no other passenger car has to my knowledge ever used a parabolic axle with coil springs. So absolutely nothing in the way of lift off oversteer etc or using the rear end at all is possible. It's primitive adaptive dampers do something.......but not much. They do make a good difference at high speed especially with the speed sensitive power steering assistance weighing up the steering. I've not driven ANY car the size of a W169 that feels so capable and competent at speed. It's 2mm shorter than the current Ford KA! but I will happily corner on a fast dual carriageway or something just as I would in something like a C class or 3 series.

While the handling is good, ROADHOLDING is poor, the centre of gravity being low from the engine placement is negated entirely by the height of the body. Small wheels and by modern standards pretty skinny tyres mean it just can never find much in the way of traction. It gets unsettled very easy by rough surfaces, camber changes or bumps due to the very short wheelbase. Also it gets blown about pretty bad at high speed by crosswinds and by large vehicles/trucks etc. Diesels and the A200T get slightly larger brakes ( though probably negated by the increased weight). Discs all round is something lacking even in some modern small cars but I'd describe the brakes as adequate and with good feel, though naturally the ABS is going to kick in quick because of the lack of traction. If my A150 can manage to activate traction control in second gear entering a wet road with heavy throttle then I don't want to think what an A200T or one of the more potent diesels must be like.

The fact the ESP is only possible to disable through the service menu (and a speed limiter is put in place) tells you a lot about the 169, it really needs it in order to be safe. The wheelbase and height, the unusual engine placement and weight distribution, the unique rear suspension setup etc all equate to a car that is going to feel odd or unpredictable even to a keen driver when pressed hard. That ESP system however is one of the best implementations of an ESP system I've personally experienced. The only time the rear wheels actually become of any use is when the ESP is braking on them to help you follow the desired line. It is remarkably quick to act and react even compared to a lot of modern cars. I've felt my 169 being pulled around corners quite aggressively by braking of a rear wheel while some modern cars are understerring like mad and the ESP seems to be very late to help and pretty ineffective when it finally does intervene. The owners manual is a bit misleading as it makes you think that the orange triangle on the dashboard is the ESP light, but actually that light only ever flashes if power is reduced due to a lack of traction, so in other words, it's an ASR light and not an ESP light. You could have the ESP activating like crazy and if you don't have any throttle on you will get no dashboard light.

So with all the time I've spent experiencing a 169 as if I'd stolen it I can say to you; lowering springs would definitely help, the less opportunity that car has to lean the better. There are three distinct suspension setups available for the w169 from the factory, standard, sport and rough road. I have no experience with either the sport or rough road suspension. However, I have been made aware that the sports suspension makes the ride very, very harsh and hard to live with on a daily basis. I can see no anti-roll bar upgrades for this car, which is kind of understandable when you look at the way the front torsion bar is designed. I do believe I have seen shock absorbers available for the car, but removing the Mercedes adaptive ones in place of third party could be a bad thing or it could be good, unless someone has an experience of doing that then who knows? There are also no polybush kits available for the car that I can find, but making sure to renew any bushings could possibly improve handling and feedback. Wider wheels and tires will possibly look odd and put a lot of pressure on joints and bushings not meant to handle them. You have 18s so have less sidewall but your just prone to tramlining like that, having some sidewall is actually conducive to performance cornering especially in a car where weight transfer is important.

But even if you were to go for the lowering springs and minimise body roll, you still have everything else to contend with that I have highlighted to you. The A200T is a cracking motor, I would give my left leg to have one but sadly they don't do facelift ones here in the UK and I do not like the look of the pre-facelift cars. It is however not a hot hatch and never will be. It is just merely a very powerful version of a car with a very odd but ultimately lackluster platform, from an enthusasts perspective. Whether it's an A150/60, or an A200T I can honestly say the only difference is going to be acceleration and speed in a straight line.

I'd invest in really good tyres, good maintenance and just enjoy blowing past people at crazy speeds in something that looks like a Honda Jazz. Before spending any money on lowering springs or anything like that just remember that a clutch change is going to cost you a small fortune so plan ahead. I bet a good A200T isn't easy to find so keep it alive and well and you will have something pretty rare and special in time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts