Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car went back to the dealership this week to have a possible gearbox whine investigated. They had my car for 5 days and gave it a thorough check over. No faults were found. They also took a customers A220 for a comparison test drive and found it to make the same noise, so they have put it down to a 'characteristic' of the car. When I collected the car, I asked if I could have a drive in another A220 but they said that they had none available. It only makes the noise in 2nd gear at around 2000 to 2200 rpm. Could I please ask any A220 auto owners to let me know if they've experienced this with their car? If this is not a 'characteristic', then I'll have to take the matter further. Thank you. Here's a link to a video I made of the problem: A220 gearbox whine.mp4

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have an A250 and it makes the exact same noise. I never interpreted it as an issue and figured it was just a sound the engine makes.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Thanks for the reply.
I checked mine and it doesn’t seem to have any sound. My A220 is a recently created model so I guess they must have fixed it assuming yours is a slightly older model. If not then i’m not sure.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Could I ask if you only hear the noise in 2nd gear?
Can’t remember off the top of my head, I’ll have a listen next time if I remember. It’s definitely prevalent in 2nd though, especially when you’re giving light gas and stretching 2nd further than usual. I have also noticed a whine if I coast at roughly 50mph, not sure if it’s the same sound I hear in 2nd though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked mine and it doesn’t seem to have any sound. My A220 is a recently created model so I guess they must have fixed it assuming yours is a slightly older model. If not then i’m not sure.
Thanks for checking yours. Mine is a slightly older model (registered September last year).
Can’t remember off the top of my head, I’ll have a listen next time if I remember. It’s definitely prevalent in 2nd though, especially when you’re giving light gas and stretching 2nd further than usual. I have also noticed a whine if I coast at roughly 50mph, not sure if it’s the same sound I hear in 2nd though.
Thanks very much. It will be interesting to know if you only get the noise in 2nd gear. The noise I get is more noticeable when under load going uphill.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for checking yours. Mine is a slightly older model (registered September last year).

Thanks very much. It will be interesting to know if you only get the noise in 2nd gear. The noise I get is more noticeable when under load going uphill.
Had a listen and can only hear it in 2nd up to around 2k rpm.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mine is a petrol A200 and does that sound.. like before engaging 3rd or something
Now that's interesting! I believe the A180/A200 uses a transmission made by Getrag, whereas the A220/A250 is a Mercedes transmission. Perhaps the noise is not transmission related after all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts