Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
A250 AMG Line Premium Plus 2018
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Proud new owner of my first Mercedes, as of yesterday and it is an incredible machine.

Found a few early problems through, unfortunately and I'm hoping for some pointers.

1. Found a small puddle of water in the boot, underneath the emergency warning triangle. Is this a known issue, or could it be from the valeting prior to transport?

2. Received a warning light stating 'Right hand side main beam dipped', or something like that. Then checked the lighting settings and found the Intelligent Light System - Function unavailable, so it looks like that wasn't working. Also got out and the right hand front headlight was stuck on, but the other side off.
Saw that someone had a similar issue in another thread and wondering what the best way to resolve this is?

3. The car is really noisy on the outside. Again, seen a thread about these cars sounding like a diesel andit sounds like the exhaust is rattling, but someone mentioned it being a fuel injector issue, which is normal apparently 🤷‍♂️

Any help, guidance or assistance would be greatly appreciated and I'm glad to be part of the club 👍

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: Just taken it for a night time spin and the issue with the lights didn't appear, but a new warning sign popped up: -

4. Currently unavailable - Camera dirty and a pic of 2 cars.

Assuming this would be the system that prevents you from getting too close to the car in front, but what exactly is dirty? Surely not the camera behind the rear view mirror?!

·
Super Moderator
3,309 Posts
Location of various cameras here:

This time of year, the cameras are susceptible to fogging. You have to run full demist for a fair few miles so the cameras don’t fog up, or you’ve got a problem with the ILS see:

However autonomous braking doesn’t use a camera, it uses a radar sensor.

·
Registered
158 Posts
That last fault with the two cars is the radar unit behind the MB emblem. I get that when driving in heavy snow or rain and the emblem gets covered.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses.

Took it for a long drive this evening and no faults appeared on the dash.

Still extremely noisy on the outside with the engine running though, but guess I'll never have to listen to it 😂

·
Registered
417 Posts
Thanks for the responses.

Took it for a long drive this evening and no faults appeared on the dash.

Still extremely noisy on the outside with the engine running though, but guess I'll never have to listen to it 😂
Yes I took mine back 3 times but always got told "They all sound like that". I said just because they are all below standard does not prove its OK. They said it "might run in" but it didn't
I like the car too much to reject it over the noise.
My hope was that it was just a bad batch, mine is 2019, if yours is new I guess they are designed that way.
At its service last year I requested they did the oil change with the optional "thicker" oil, thinks it might be quieter when cold but that did not seem to help. Not sure they actually remember to do it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My opinion is, that if the sound inside the cabin in NOT annoying or gives you a headache , then everyting is OK! In all of my old cars, when i couldn't stand the noise or if a new sound was appeared (everyday i had a new one coming from wherever part of the car you can imagine) i just turned the music louder and everything was back to normal 🤣🤣🤣

Seriously, if you had confirmed tha the engine sound is normal and that the sound insulation of the cabin is good enough in order not hear it, then the only thing left to do, is to enjoy the ride with your MB!!!!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Must agree on the diesel thing, I have an A35, which is the same engine as the 250, and I can't help but think when stuck in traffic how noisy it is at idle compared to cars next to me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sounded harsh at first comparing it to other car engine with the windows down, once all windows up and it's all good and go. But than the other noise kept coming it; Road Noise and from the tires which not much can be done

·
Registered
35 Posts
The engine is not the sweetest sounding, nothing like an old Alfa Romeo. The problem are the high pressure injectors, they cause a lot of the clutter you hear, but I definitely find it much more silent than a diesel.

The road noise... Well I had the same problem on my Mini R56 until I changed tyres. Imo the tyre type is more important than the car itself in this area. Also one thing I noticed, it is less noisier if you lower the tyre pressures to something reasonable. They inflate them to 2.7bars to achieve their eco ratings, try at 2.4 and it feels so much smoother. And unless you are doing lab measurements, I doubt you'll find much difference in consumption.

·
Registered
996 Posts
The engine is not the sweetest sounding, nothing like an old Alfa Romeo. The problem are the high pressure injectors, they cause a lot of the clutter you hear, but I definitely find it much more silent than a diesel.

The road noise... Well I had the same problem on my Mini R56 until I changed tyres. Imo the tyre type is more important than the car itself in this area. Also one thing I noticed, it is less noisier if you lower the tyre pressures to something reasonable. They inflate them to 2.7bars to achieve their eco ratings, try at 2.4 and it feels so much smoother. And unless you are doing lab measurements, I doubt you'll find much difference in consumption.
I agree it isn't the sweetest sounding engine (A250) but I don't find it hugely noisy either. Interesting you mention the injectors, I've just been out for a listen and you are right I can hear them but on mine they are only just audible, when cold anyway.

Thanks so much for the tyre pressure advice, I will certainly give that a go as I find the road noise quite loud and the ride a bit firm at std pressures

1 - 12 of 12 Posts