Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

My first post!! So im about due for a new motor and ive got my heart set on an A250 Engineered. (in white with exclusive pack and Audio 20/ 6 CD if your interested.) this is going to be a big jump from my current 1.2 tsi polo!

Ive been to the dealers in manchester and stockport, and im getting the usual sales pitch of "theres no discounts available what so ever on any new a classes" and from reading a few posts on here that doesn't seem strictly true.

Without being mega nosey I'm just wondering what level of discounts people have had when they've ordered their new a classes? and how did you manage it?

Its only the second time I've bought a car and personally i hate looking back and realising i've been given the proverbial shaft.

Oh and I'm planning on financing the A250 if it makes a difference.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
349 Posts
I didn't really get any discount at all, maybe due to the fact that it was a very early order, I did get the drive kit plus cheaper than others. I did ask and I would always ask. My advice would be try different dealers,always ask for a discount or something to make you feel better about the deal, may a discount off an upgrade, finance contribution, low apr or try a free first service etc. You know how it goes, don't ask don't get. From personal experience, it shouldn't make any difference whether you finance it or buy out right, I have done both over the years and they seemed to prefer it when i took dealer finance ( could be commission related? ) Polo - A250 is an awesome leap you will love it even if you pay full whack!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hi Fish, based on my experience the truth is that discounts are extremely rare.. I ordered an engineered with the exclusive pack, pan roof, lux climate, upgraded audio 20 with the HK option and drive kit plus for the iphone and I didn't get 1 penny off... I paid full price for everything... all I got was starguard thrown in plus they lent me a C class for a cpl of weeks to save me hiring once I'd sold my audi..

The story I got was that MB are simply not allowing dealers to discount the A class as it is such an important car for them.. (they call it the game changer as it sets the scene for the changes across the whole range, you can see this in the new e class) Plus they say discounts impact the residual & resale value of the car.

The only way they can discount is allow better px deals etc, & that will vary from dealer to dealer i guess

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I got the same story from the 3 dealers up here, I did get a decent p/x though.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info guys. looks like its a question of asking and seeing what gives then.

Also on a side note about the drivekit plus. Do you need the media interface for it or not? If you dont need it ill probably just stick with the standard stereo, save me a few quid.

If you hadn't guessed by now, money is little tight!

·
Registered
377 Posts
looks like you don't need the media interface as the drive kit is fitted behind the dash.. once phone is connected you can use the drive kit as your media interface basically for playing music ...

I'm currently moaning to merc as I wanted the media interface and the drive kit plus so I could switch between the nav on my phone plus keep an ipod connected - currently the drive kit although connected via aux input apparently also needs the media interface connection so can't have both plugged in atthe same time - I think if you have no media interface option in the armrest then this connection happens out of site behind the dash.... hope this helps - the HK logic 7 option does sound wicked tho

·
Registered
377 Posts
just to add IMO the nav on the drive kit app is excellent... I had comand in the C class they lent me and the drive kit does everything that does and more.. especially when the Siri upgrade finally appears

·
Registered
349 Posts
I agree with kevybabes. I treated myself to command albeit in 2008 and thought it was a lot of money for little benefit ( it might be better now but i dont think its evolved too much ) the drive kit ( for me ) is a much better option and a fraction of the cost

·
Registered
626 Posts
Try dealers further afield and not in the same group (Manchester and Stockport are both part of MB Retail and will be signing from the same hymn sheet). If you are prepared to travel, getting a grand off is well worth the trouble.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys, popped up to the dealers in Preston today and managed to get £1K off the deposit what the dealers in manc were asking for, think im going to bite bullet and get it ordered tomorrow morning!
Doubt i'd get much more than that off given your responses.cheers for the advice!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Excellent news. I think you've got a decent deal there. Tell us all about the car if you place that order.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I never got a penny off my Engineered from MB in Ayr.

I did get however an excellent trade in, Free first service, Free cherished transfer and a free MB golf umbrella.

Im counting the days till pick up.....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok so ordered my a250 engineered today.

Gone with white, exclusive pack, media interface, and managed to wangle the reversing camera in there too. Can't bloody wait. I didn't get a lead time though.

Any one else ordered one recently a know what the wait times are?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Congratulations! You should get a letter from the dealer confirming the order and at that point they should be able to give you a date.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Congrats - car sounds lovely. Hope the wait isn't too long

1 - 18 of 18 Posts