Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
Has anyonenoticedthe samedifference as me on exhaust note between early published clips (from test drive in Slovenia) and new clips (captured using cameras mounted on mass production car). Check below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKG3RMK__dc

Clearly a "pop" or so called "burst"whengear up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3-FKOOzg7A

No "pop" whengear up

Did Merc or AMG change something on this?

Personally, I would prefer the one with "pop" since it makes you feel the car is more sporty.

·
Registered
373 Posts
g11 said:
Has anyone foundthe samedifference as me on exhaust note between early published clips (from test drive in Slovenia) and new clips (captured using cameras mounted on mass production car). Check below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKG3RMK__dc

Clearly a "pop" or so called "burst"when changing gear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3-FKOOzg7A

No "pop" when changing gear

Did Merc or AMG change something on this?

Personally, I would prefer the one with "pop" since it makes you feel the car is more sporty.

yeah have noticed before that not all clipshavethat, but many reviews have commented on the 'boof' or 'bursting' on flat out up shifts ....i dont think anything has been changed. I just put itdown to the fact that maybe the conditions arent right?? sports mode/revs/quality of micetc etc??

Mbznut or anyone elase with an engineered will confirm soon im sure...

·
Registered
349 Posts
Mine doesn't pop going up the box only on over run and going down the box, turbo gets quite vocal though. Might get better with more use or warmer weather?

·
Registered
373 Posts
cheers fella ... love over run pops.So glad i wont be losing that going from the scooby. Granted it might be quieter on the a class but nonetheless i'm chuffed to have some pops!

what about the 'boof/boom/bursting' on up shift??(or the fart as seem people like to call it). A lot of reviews mention it, and as per the clip round the old airfelid in slovenia ...

Similar to Golf DSG up shift noise.

·
Registered
349 Posts
All I can hear when going up the box is turbo. It might sound different from the back? Down shifts in sport mode sound great and the auto box is much quicker than I thought it would be

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Then looks like the "pop" or "burst" sound when up shift has been dropped by Merc.

The clips from Slovenia test drive are only sources we could hear it from.

·
Registered
373 Posts
There are several reivews which mention it ... i had pasted extracts from them last night but my internet explorer crashed and i lost my post,but here are some now:

'Under the bonnet the Sport gets an overboost function that adds 11kW at throttle openings above 4000rpm. The function delivers the extra power (but not extra torque) for up to 30secs. A new muffler and modified exhaust design delivers the trademark 'boof' on gearchanges that the GTI set so cherishes'

'The gear changes are also quicker in the A250 Sport, followed by wonderful exhaust blow-offs that reminds you of the VW GTI'

But on that slovenia clip there is a comment from someone saying their engineered does not make that sound either.

And on another Youtube clip there is a further comment saying that their engineered doesnt burst either.

All very interesting .... something fishy is going on it seems lol ...

In fact. if i remember correctly, one of the official mercedes adverts for the engineered also subtly includes that sound it the soundtrack ... if i can find a link i'll post it.
Edited by: reza

·
Registered
373 Posts
kevybabes ....

you cant just tease us with that lol

More detail please. Yours def does the brusting on upshift? all the time? on sport mode only? can you here it from in the car? hahah questions questions ....

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
kevybabes said:
mine does ...
Yeah, if possible, could you record the sound and post it here pleaseï¼ I know it could be in appropriate to ask for this but it is really good to prove the burstsound effectis still there. Thanks.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I sent Merc an email about this ... and laid it on a little thick. Judging by their reply, they either think i was complaining about a fault?? or they're suggesting that the test cars may have had a fault?? im not sure really ....

'I am asking this question on behalf of many avid fans/owners/and potential owners of the Engineered by AMG. We are all memebers on the same forum.

<DIV style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt" id=yui_3_7_2_1_1363948610033_8472 =yiv1869644887Msonormal>

<DIV style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt" id=yui_3_7_2_1_1363948610033_8465 =yiv1869644887Msonormal>There are numerous reviews of this car from around the world which reference to a ""˜bursting/boof/boom' on flat out up shifts through the gears. The clip below clearly demonstrates the sound:

<DIV style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt" id=yui_3_7_2_1_1363948610033_8463 =yiv1869644887Msonormal>

<DIV style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt" id=yui_3_7_2_1_1363948610033_8252 =yiv1869644887Msonormal>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKG3RMK__dc

<DIV style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt" id=yui_3_7_2_1_1363948610033_8402 =yiv1869644887Msonormal>

<DIV style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt" id=yui_3_7_2_1_1363948610033_8471 =yiv1869644887Msonormal>All current owners of Engineered's however state that this ""˜bursting'on up shifts does not occur at all.

<DIV style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt" id=yui_3_7_2_1_1363948610033_8475 =yiv1869644887Msonormal>

<DIV style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt" id=yui_3_7_2_1_1363948610033_8477 =yiv1869644887Msonormal>I myself, and many others, are awaiting delivery of our engineered's and would very much appreciate knowing whether we can expect this and if not what has changed from the cars that were reviewed where it was described as being present.'

<DIV style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt" =yiv1869644887Msonormal>

<DIV style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt" =yiv1869644887Msonormal>The reply was: (a very prompt reply i must say)

<DIV style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt" =yiv1869644887Msonormal>Dear Sir

Thank you for contacting the Mercedes-Benz Customer Assistance Center Maastricht N.V.

We write further to your recent email communication. Please may we advise Mercedes-Benz are not aware of an issue regarding the new Mercedes-Benz A-Class AMG Model. It is not possible for us to comment on this situation as we cannot verify the validity of the source or the mechanical status of the car in question.

Should you have any further requirements please do not hesitate to contact us.

Yours sincerely

Chloe Hollingworth
Customer Service
Mercedes-Benz Customer Assistance Center Maastricht N.V.

<DIV style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt" =yiv1869644887Msonormal>Kevybabes come on tell us more about your car making the sound ....

·
Registered
377 Posts
there is a clear difference with the exhaust note when in sport, not sure I am going to risk death by trying to record it.. it is far more noticeable with the window open in a tunnel.. floored it in the Limehouse link and def. noticed the bursts.. but couldn't quite get up through all the gears due to the speed camera at the end

·
Registered
377 Posts
& the reply from Chloe at MB is basically saying I have no idea what you are asking me.. I had a similar reply from her re my media interface :)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Right I'm on it again tonight I used half a tank of petrol yesterday trying to hear the pop, the snow has cleared now so going for a blast

1 - 20 of 74 Posts