Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Will get our new A250e in a few weeks just wondering how long it takes on a 3 pin plug socket charge and is it worth investing in a wall charger as its only going to be charged at night.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

It's 5.5hrs to go from 10-100% on a typical wall socket, so charging overnight would be no issue.

If it's worth investing is a personal choice for a phev i'd say! If you'd prefer a dedicated charger, being able to charge in less time or might have another electric car, then a wallbox is worth it.

You can get the BP Chargemaster wallbox (7kw) through Mercedes at a lower price, but there's other options on the market too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum!

It's 5.5hrs to go from 10-100% on a typical wall socket, so charging overnight would be no issue.

If it's worth investing is a personal choice for a phev i'd say! If you'd prefer a dedicated charger, being able to charge in less time or might have another electric car, then a wallbox is worth it.

You can get the BP Chargemaster wallbox (7kw) through Mercedes at a lower price, but there's other options on the market too.
Thanks for that information think we will invest in a bp Chargemaster wall charger as we only have the car for 2 years then will swap it for a different hybrid.

·
Registered
360 Posts
With a wall box you will only get a 3.7kw charge rate (even if the wall box is a 7.4kw one), so time will reduce to approx 3 hours. Electric cars aren't going away, so might as well get one now while there are government grants available.

·
Registered
A250e
36 Posts
With the 3 pin plug I get 2.2kW p/h so a full charge takes just under 6 hrs. My wife just plugs it in at work every day and is fully charged when she finishes work; no need for anything faster for us tbh.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mercedes has announced any PHEV ordered within 4 months or delivered between September 3- December qualifies for a free BP wall charge installation or 2 years free BP charge plus subscription.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Jump all over that if you can. Althoogh I suspect that is only available to retail customers, not to fleet/company car customers.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Jump all over that if you can. Althoogh I suspect that is only available to retail customers, not to fleet/company car customers.
Unfortunately I think you are right, retail only and had to be ordered after Sept 3rd.

There's always a new offer/incentive for car purchases each quarter.

·
Super Moderator
4,002 Posts
Not a good idea to charge your EV from a standard 13A socket long term.

(Click on the tweet for more pics and different examples):

If you regularly charge your EV from a BS1363 13A Socket - you should get one that has been specifically approved by the manufacturer for EV charging, eg:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Unfortunately I think you are right, retail only and had to be ordered after Sept 3rd.

There's always a new offer/incentive for car purchases each quarter.
I believe it said ordered or registered after September 03 2020 to December 2020

·
Super Moderator
4,473 Posts
Reactions: veeeight

·
Registered
A250e
36 Posts
Jeeese the others on that twitter feed....."Julie (Littlemissgiggles)" talk about conspiracy theorists and other things I won't write here.
Yeah Twitter is the worst place for facts, the minority get too much attention/validation on social media platforms. I do think it is worthwhile for people to ensure their plugs are up to scratch as I imagine a lot have "old" plugs in their homes; but using posts such as these to say "don't use a plug long term" is silly/irresponsible.

·
Super Moderator
4,473 Posts
Yeah Twitter is the worst place for facts, the minority get too much attention/validation on social media platforms. I do think it is worthwhile for people to ensure their plugs are up to scratch as I imagine a lot have "old" plugs in their homes; but using posts such as these to say "don't use a plug long term" is silly/irresponsible.
Absolutely agree.

And the people this guy Tim follows are complete nutjobs so I question anything the guy himself posts. The lot of them should be kicked off twitter they don't belong in society let alone any social media platform.

·
Registered
2020 A250e AMG Prem+ Metallic Mountain Grey
10 Posts
DO NOT CHARGE FROM YOUR HOME 3 PIN SOCKET UNTIL INSPECTED BY AN ELECTRICIAN.

Sorry for the caps, but needed to draw attention. I used the 3 pin charger without knowing about the possible issues. Mercedes really need to make a much bigger thing about this on the vehicle handover. I came very close to melting (and then possible setting on fire) the ring main wires in the RCB that fed the 3 pin socket I was using. This only came to light when the very nice man from Power EV (PodPoint installers) pointed it out to me. I will possibly need a new RCB board, will see what the electrician says. Mercedes do mention about getting the electrics inspected but it really is in a matter of fact way when really this need to be in big flipping letters 'that this can burn your house down if it goes wrong' kind of way. As for BP Chargemaster, they are a joke. I made an enquiry with them and didn't hear back from them until last week, 7 weeks after the initial enquiry! Thankfully this gave me time to do some research, Trustpilot ratings for BP are 1.6 !!!!! Podpoint are 4.1, who would you choose? Almost forgot charging time from 0-100% about 1hr 50mins with the wall charger which works out at about £1.70 per charge.

·
Super Moderator
4,002 Posts
^ This.

There are so many issues with charging from a domestic 13A socket. From the heat issues on the socket/circuit/MCB/RCD, the circuit drawing a high current load for an extended time, to the earthing arrangements If your house is supplied by a TNC-S (PME) electrical system. If there is a PEN failure in the electrical supply, the whole exterior of the car could become live at 230V.

You should seek to get a proper EV charging station installed ASAP. And by a qualified and competent electrician, that knows all about BS7671 Amendment 1, in particular EV Charging requirements.

·
Super Moderator
4,473 Posts
Can I ask you guys. One of daughter's has a ground floor flat and a designated parking space probably about 20 feet from her nearest bedroom window. If her next car needed charging what should she have installed in that bedroom, or should it be on the outside of the flat on the wall with the power switch inside the property.

·
Super Moderator
4,002 Posts
If she owns the pavement or has a wayleave to run services from her flat to her designated parking spot, the safest place for the charging station is at the head of the parking place, pole mounted freestanding charging station surrounded by steel tube protection around it for bump protection.

The problem with mounting the charger on the wall outside the bedroom is trailing cables, always a H&S litigious issue.

·
Super Moderator
4,473 Posts
If she owns the pavement or has a wayleave to run services from her flat to her designated parking spot, the safest place for the charging station is at the head of the parking place, pole mounted freestanding charging station surrounded by steel tube protection around it for bump protection.

The problem with mounting the charger on the wall outside the bedroom is trailing cables, always a H&S litigious issue.
She doesn't own the pavement outside but it must be something the government needs to facilitate if it is stopping combustion engine sales by 2030. I was thinking in her case she could run a cable over the door canopy to the property and minimise trailing cables.

We'll see over the near future what bright ideas the government comes up with having not really thought through how this transition will work in practice.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts