Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Are they 3meter or 5 in length mate? Do you know?
I've just measured mine. Without the plugs at either end:
13 A end - 152cm
Black box - 26cm
Car end - 316cm

So altogether just short of 5m.

I'm not sure how weatherproof the black box is, couldn't see any markings.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My front door leads straight on to the road so no hope of a wall charger until I move house. Can I check sockets with a multimeter?

·
Super Moderator
4,007 Posts
My front door leads straight on to the road so no hope of a wall charger until I move house. Can I check sockets with a multimeter?
Not really. At the minimum you need an Insulation Resistance tester, 500V DC applied to the circuit under test.

Get an electrician in to do an EICR, Meaure R1, R1, Rn. And fit a Type A RCD/RCBO to the socket that you will be using. And upgrade the actual socket so that it doesn't melt!

Or charge at Tesco ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Not really. At the minimum you need an Insulation Resistance tester, 500V DC applied to the circuit under test.

Get an electrician in to do an EICR, Meaure R1, R1, Rn. And fit a Type A RCD/RCBO to the socket that you will be using. And upgrade the actual socket so that it doesn't melt!

Or charge at Tesco ;)
It's a company car and I'll be doing 25k miles a year in it, so I'll be charging everywhere. Thanks for the advice 😁

·
Registered
A250E Saloon Prem Plus
61 Posts
Hi all - picked up car today and very impressed so far, still working out how everything works...

I wondered if anyone has found a water proof extension cable to use with the granny charger cable? The cable with the car is 5m and I could really do with another 5m extension. Any help or advice appreciated!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi all - picked up car today and very impressed so far, still working out how everything works...

I wondered if anyone has found a water proof extension cable to use with the granny charger cable? The cable with the car is 5m and I could really do with another 5m extension. Any help or advice appreciated!
Hi Tim,

Glad to hear it has finally arrived. Let's see it then 😊

I've read good things about tough leads and their extensions and sockets. This should be what you're after.

·
Registered
A250E Saloon Prem Plus
61 Posts
Hi Tim,

I've read good things about tough leads and their extensions and sockets. This should be what you're after.

Excellent just what I need and a great price too thank you!

will take some pics tomorrow and post :)

·
Registered
A250E Saloon Prem Plus
61 Posts
Hi Tim,

Finally took a picture….
A407C070-57CB-40C3-A782-551BFA60F666.jpeg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Picked a new 250e today, put on charge with 3 pin granny charger which using until wallbox is installed and when I just walked past I can here a fan running which stops if I switch off the charger and starts again when I switch it back on. Has anyone else noticed this, I thought I had switched on pre conditioning at first but that is definitely off.

·
Registered
362 Posts
It does sometimes make a bit of noise while charging. The fan could be for battery cooling as the ambient temp is so warm currently.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Picked a new 250e today, put on charge with 3 pin granny charger which using until wallbox is installed and when I just walked past I can here a fan running which stops if I switch off the charger and starts again when I switch it back on. Has anyone else noticed this, I thought I had switched on pre conditioning at first but that is definitely off.
The noise is the cooling fans that switch on and off while charging, depending upon temperature. I have had a Golf GTE and Audi A3 e-tron before and they did exactly the same.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts