Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,051 Posts
Certainly we never see Greta and Johnson in the same photo.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
We have had the car a week now and used the 3 pin plug charger and not had a issue, charging over night this is enough for us don't think we will invest in a dedicated charger as we only have the car on lease for 2 years. Thoughts please !!!!

·
Super Moderator
3,637 Posts
We have had the car a week now and used the 3 pin plug charger and not had a issue, charging over night this is enough for us don't think we will invest in a dedicated charger as we only have the car on lease for 2 years. Thoughts please !!!!
The occasional overnight use, yes, Long term, no.

Standard BS1363 accessories aren't really designed to carry a constant 13A load for a lengthy period of time, your 3kW kettle at home is on for no more than 4 minutes, for example (See Post #16 in this thread).

You have no idea what is unseen, are your MCB's overheating in your Consumer Unit, if the 13A socket is on a Ring Final Circuit (Ring Main) - is there a broken leg, in which case all the current is overloading the cables in the wall, are the contacts arcing etc.

Ideally you should get a proper charge point, but if you want to carry on using the Mode 2 charging cable, you should get an electrician to install a dedicated Radial circuit, complete with a robust BS1363 socket outlet that is suitable for EV charging.

The EV forums are full of 13A socket charging disasters, often not discovered until something catches fire or overheats.

(There are other issues with a non-dedicated EV charger too, if your house has a TN-C-S (PME) earthing arrangement, a broken PEN conductor supplying your house could mean that the whole car body goes live at 240V, and anyone touching this could receive a lethal shock......)

·
Registered
333 Posts
If you want to continue using the 3-pin plug charger - ask an electrician to come out and assess your socket & ring main.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I’ve had my A250e now for 4 weeks( loving the car when I’m allowed to drive it🙄) and when using the plug in charger I was only getting 2.2kw charge rate and was taking forever to charge. After charging had finally finished the heat off the plug top was unreal. Didn’t feel comfortable leaving the car on charge during the night so I ended up putting in a 7.3kw pod-point charger. Highly recommend there unit. Easy to install and with its built in safety features its saves you having to put in an earth rod. I’m now getting a charge rate of 6.9-7.1kw.

·
Registered
A250e AMG premium Saloon
31 Posts
I charge my A250e from a dedicated outdoor 230v EV rated 3 pin socket. It's run on an individual radial circuit from my garage consumer unit, through a 32A relay and timer box. I have a cheap off peak rate deal with Octopus Energy at 5p/KW hr between 12am-4.30am so that's the only time I charge at home, What I'm finding is that on average it's absolutely fine. If the battery is completely flat, then after 4.5hs at 2.3KW (equates to 10.35Kw) the battery is about 75% charged. Most days we don't flatten the battery completely, so 4.5hrs is enough to bring it back to 100%, even if it gets to 75% one night, then on average the next night will take it to 100%.

If we're out and about, then I'll just charge it at one of the free stations that seem to be popping up all over the place.

Based on my vehicle usage, I don't see any personal benefit to me in investing in a fast charger at home. A full BEV would be a different story however.

Regards

Mat

·
Super Moderator
3,637 Posts
I charge my A250e from a dedicated outdoor 230v EV rated 3 pin socket. It's run on an individual radial circuit from my garage consumer unit, through a 32A relay and timer box.
This is definitely the way to do it (if you don’t want an EV charge point), dedicated radial circuit off the Consumer Unit, preferably Type B RCD on that circuit, and EV rated socket.

·
Registered
A250e AMG premium Saloon
31 Posts
Screwfix do an outdoor 230v EV socket. Ignore all the online reviews saying it's just a normal outdoor socket in a new box. It clearly isn't... For a start it incorporates a 16A MCB, it's all wired in 6mm square cable internally, and the 13A outlet doesn't have a switch, which is one less weak link to deal with the constant higher current. The plug outlet itself is also beefy from what I can see, with bigger contact areas for the pins (bigger surface area= better contact, lower current density and therefore lower heating)

·
Registered
A250e AMG premium Saloon
31 Posts
In theory I guess it could be used on a 32A ring main... if you think about it, there's nothing to stop you overloading a ring main by plugging in a load of high power appliances into standard 13A sockets... kettle, washer/dryer iron etc all at the same time. The only protection is the MCB at the consumer unit, weather it's 20A or 32A.... it's only there to stop the cable catching fire.

Good practice however, where you know that your EV will be taking a high constant load would be to use a dedicated spur/radial from the consumer unit. However if you only charge your EV at night, with no other load on the circuit it would be OK.

·
Super Moderator
3,637 Posts
Can be used on a 32A Ring Final Circuit, but only after checking thoroughly (EICR) that the ring is complete, no broken legs, and that every socket termination screw is secure and tight against the 2x 2.5mm cable that feeds it (don’t want loose connections causing arcing and overheating and fires).

Then given the age and unknown condition of the ring wiring, and other sockets on the ring, should do the various other tests, Insulation Resistance, Zs, R1, R2, Rn etc.

Your normal 32A B-type MCB will not trip instantaneously unless the current reaches 160A, anything less and it will still hold in, until the thermal part of the trip curve determines when it will trip.

Overall safer installing a new dedicated radial circuit from the consumer unit.

Have seen enough overloaded circuits and fires to last me a lifetime, do it properly. The EV forums are full of people that have found out the hard way not to continually charge an EV from a normal 13A socket long term.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I qualify for the free BP wall box, they contacted me the same day I submitted application and completed a phone survey. Have since sent the requested pics now awaiting and instalation date.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

It's 5.5hrs to go from 10-100% on a typical wall socket, so charging overnight would be no issue.

If it's worth investing is a personal choice for a phev i'd say! If you'd prefer a dedicated charger, being able to charge in less time or might have another electric car, then a wallbox is worth it.

You can get the BP Chargemaster wallbox (7kw) through Mercedes at a lower price, but there's other options on the market too.
Doing the charger free at the moment

·
Registered
42 Posts
Does anyone have any feedback or experience with an external 3pun plug charging pod such as this one below.

Seems a generic design with rolec producing an identical item.

Don't need fast charging so overnight is fine and they appear to be protected and heat/surge protected etc.

Thoughts

Tia

·
Super Moderator
3,637 Posts
Does anyone have any feedback or experience with an external 3pun plug charging pod such as this one below.
Infinitely better than a standard domestic 13A socket, this one won’t burst into flames or melt, and has that all important local Type A RCBO fitted (Type B is preferable).

But the electrical circuit to which its connected still needs to be checked and verified by a competent electrician. Have a read of this whole thread about the dangers of charging from a standard 13A socket long term.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts