Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Infinitely better than a standard domestic 13A socket, this one won’t burst into flames or melt, and has that all important local Type A RCBO fitted (Type B is preferable).

But the electrical circuit to which its connected still needs to be checked and verified by a competent electrician. Have a read of this whole thread about the dangers of charging from a standard 13A socket long term.
It was this thread that made me aware of the potential issues with 3 pin charging. For now 500+ is an expense that I dont need nor justify as over night trickle charge is fine for us.

Ill have it installed by a qualified competent electrician. Our house was fully rewired 3 years ago so cannot see much issue with the wiring etc of the property.

Thank you for the reply, it has put my mind at ease that this would be a better alternative to trailing the cable from socket in the garage

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

newbie here about to collect my new A250e next week and I have a ton of questions that have been answered in the forums already (thanks to all).

The question I haven’t found the answer to is what size is the 3 pin plug that comes with the car?

I have had an outdoor double socket installed to use the granny lead until I decide on which (if any) ev charger to get. I know some of the plugs are moulded plastic and can be bulky and not a standard shape so I am worried it might not fit a standard outdoor socket.

can anyone confirm if they use the standard Mercedes charger with an outside socket?

Many Thanks
Liam

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hello,

newbie here about to collect my new A250e next week and I have a ton of questions that have been answered in the forums already (thanks to all).

The question I haven’t found the answer to is what size is the 3 pin plug that comes with the car?

I have had an outdoor double socket installed to use the granny lead until I decide on which (if any) ev charger to get. I know some of the plugs are moulded plastic and can be bulky and not a standard shape so I am worried it might not fit a standard outdoor socket.

can anyone confirm if they use the standard Mercedes charger with an outside socket?

Many Thanks
Liam
Yes I do. Had an outdoor socket with built in rcd installed for use of charging my a250e over night. The plug is ever so slightly chunkier than your average 3 pin plug found on appliances in the house. Nothing massive, just a thicker plastic used tbh. I can take a photo later on if you wish

·
Registered
16 Posts
I qualify for the free BP wall box, they contacted me the same day I submitted application and completed a phone survey. Have since sent the requested pics now awaiting and instalation date.
How do you qualify? Do you need to apply somewhere?

·
Registered
119 Posts
How do you qualify? Do you need to apply somewhere?
It's an offer MB are promoting with new retail purchases. The gov grant however is dependant on passing some install checks, like private off street parking etc. Home owner right etc. Pretty simple stuff and BP handled it all for me. Just sent some pictures during application. I can get the grant but not the full MB offer due to being a company car driver. I still bit the bullet though before the £350 grant isn't on the table anymore.

·
Registered
119 Posts
... in the meantime, until install date, I'm debating whether to use the 3pin though. Issue is it's a reasonable distance to my outside socket. Anyone know the length of the 3pin cable? It's a pain in the ass to get back in the bag so thought I'd ask before measuring and trying 😂
If not long enough has anyone used an extension. I think it's a no no but thought I'd ask.
I did test 3pin with a BMW 330e early in the year. I won't lie, the plug heat was crazy hot and did put me off. Understand everyone's circuits are different and some on dedicated circuits whereas mine was on my house load.

·
Super Moderator
4,051 Posts
If it's a no in terms of extension leads how are people going on holiday going to charge their vehicles, where they rent a house. I know the answer might be an outdoor charger or a proper charging point but these will rarely be available in many cases.

There is an article in Which Magazine this month on charging EVs and they seem pretty relaxed on 3 pin plugs and while I will have to check again I didn't notice they ruled out extension leads. Also I remember an old Top Gear episode where Clarkson was charging his EV using an extension lead from a restaurant or somewhere similar.

·
Super Moderator
3,637 Posts
Top Gear is an entertainment programme.

Unless you have an extension lead made of the correct conductor material and insulation material, and of sufficient cross sectional area of conductor, it will act as additional resistance, and not only heat itself up, but also the plug and socket, and any unsuitable house wiring/terminations/accessories and is 100% an additional fire hazard.

The risk is not necessarily outside where the car is, but for example, if there is a loose connection behind a ring socket in your kids bedroom, this is where it will heat up, arc, and start a fire.

(There is a new code in the pipeline to fit Arc Detection devices in houses).

This is why EV charging should preferably be done on a dedicated protected radial circuit, rather than the house socket ring - even with the granny charger.

No to domestic extension leads.

Unless you are 100% sure that the circuit you are drawing from is 100% compliant, with a recent EICR, Type A RCD/RCBO, can withstand 10A continuous without stressing/heating the existing wiring and accessories (additionally, if on a RFC no broken ring), Just say no.

·
Super Moderator
3,637 Posts
There is also an additional hazard/danger where if your property (or the holiday property) is supplied with a TN-C-S earthing arrangement (PME) - you are at risk if you “export” the earth from the house via an extension lead (or even just the granny charger on its own, but the longer the cable, the higher the risk).

In the event of a PEN failure in the street, everything metal at the end of that extension lead in your garden or driveway (eg tea urn, PHEV) will rise to a deadly 230 Volts.

And even if that extension lead has a RCD on it, it will not trip in this situation. You will be fried when you touch your car.

Hence why all “proper” EV chargers have to have an earth rod at the charger installation, or some other means of monitoring the supply for a PEN failure, it will disconnect everything before the whole car becomes “Live” at 230 Volts.

Which is why most things sold that you use in the garden or driveway via a long or extension lead (eg hedge trimmers, car battery chargers) are Class II devices with no earthed metal parts on the outside.

Domestic extension leads are a terrible idea on a metal car.

If it were me at a random holiday home with unknown integrity of electrics, I would 100% forego charging my hybrid, and just rely on the ICE. Or charge at Tesco. A few pounds saved is just not worth the risk.

·
Super Moderator
4,051 Posts
That's brought all the points together in one place. Thanks for that @veeeight 😊

·
Super Moderator
4,051 Posts

This a charging image from Which Magazine. This is what I meant about using an extension lead but take @veeeight comments as authoritative.
1607774762358.png

·
Super Moderator
4,051 Posts
It could be another class action. Especially around people getting tripped up by the cable on the pavement.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have been using the 3-pin since I got my car in June, for a while I was also using an extension lead as I didn't have an outside socket. However, I am aware of the risks and have monitored all components, with nothing to cause any concern. However a lot of the wiring being used is new (infact both sockets used are brand new!).
Couple of things you can do to reduce the risk - if you are going to need to use a 3-pin socket for more than the odd charge, get an electrician out to have a look at the condition of the socket & wiring (and make any changes if required!). You can also reduce the electrical current via the MBUX system, as standard it draws 10 amps, this can be restricted to 6 or 8 amps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have been using the 3-pin since I got my car in June, for a while I was also using an extension lead as I didn't have an outside socket. However, I am aware of the risks and have monitored all components, with nothing to cause any concern. However a lot of the wiring being used is new (infact both sockets used are brand new!).
Couple of things you can do to reduce the risk - if you are going to need to use a 3-pin socket for more than the odd charge, get an electrician out to have a look at the condition of the socket & wiring (and make any changes if required!). You can also reduce the electrical current via the MBUX system, as standard it draws 10 amps, this can be restricted to 6 or 8 amps.
That's good to know. I might do the same. Do you have a socket outside or inside the house? My car will be on driveway and I am thinking to install a socket outside so it's easier to charge.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts