Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Neither do I. Is this when you're plugged in to the wall box, 3 pin socket or neither?

The guy at the Mercedes Benz dealership sent me a video showing it was on his A250e in the showroom, so I'm wondering why mine doesn't.

Hopefully the BP Chargemaster allows you to schedule a charge?
I've not got a charger yet, but will have the same problem (getting Octopus Go). What happens when you use the Mercedes-Me charging departure time option? Can you set it to be charged by a certain time say, 3am?

·
Registered
101 Posts
You set the charge time via the BP Chargemaster app. Not all wall boxes will have this functionality so you'll need to check.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The departure time you refer to is for pre-heating the car not charging it. For some reason you cannot schedule a charge via the car😞 I’d heard a rumour that this functionality would be added at some point but not holding my breath. The ChargeMaster is a total waste of time and in my view they are fraudulently obtaining the grant as all charges have to be smart to get the government grant and bp just don’t seem bothered that the app or website doesn’t work for scheduling😡

·
Registered
30 Posts
I opted for Pod Point in the end, had it fitted on Friday. So much better than using the 3 pin. Now I get a full charge in just over 2 hrs :)
Hi and is it the 22kW type 2 charger that you have installed? Do mind telling us how much it costs you after the grant?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey guys, I haven’t got my wall charger yet and now using the 3-pin domestic charger and the public ones. A question, MB advise not to use extension for the 3-pin charger. My power outlet in the garage is located at the end wall and it is more than 5m away from the garage door. Has anybody here ever used any outdoor extension reel to plug in the 3-pin charger? Interested if this is possible and only hope that MB out the advice just to be safe..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey guys, I haven’t got my wall charger yet and now using the 3-pin domestic charger and the public ones. A question, MB advise not to use extension for the 3-pin charger. My power outlet in the garage is located at the end wall and it is more than 5m away from the garage door. Has anybody here ever used any outdoor extension reel to plug in the 3-pin charger? Interested if this is possible and only hope that MB out the advice just to be safe..
..... Interested to know if MB put their advice just to be safe....

·
Registered
101 Posts
I wouldn't risk it that's a lot of power to be pulling. I have a proper charge master installed and the wiring for that is pretty hardcore!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hi and is it the 22kW type 2 charger that you have installed? Do mind telling us how much it costs you after the grant?
It will be a 7kw unit not 22kw. I think the Zoe (and certain Tesla's) is the only car which can charge on more than 11kw AC. To get 11 or 22kw you will need a 3phase supply which is rare to domestic properties in the UK.

·
Registered
30 Posts
D8586CB4-2503-48A9-92FE-4613FF218AA9.jpeg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I've just has an EO PRO Mini 2 installed which seems like a good charger, however I'm struggling with the schedule charge function. From what I can gather the vehicle does not seem to handle the cable being connected to the smart charger which is not delivering charge (if that makes sense). The car charges absolutely fine when the charger is set to charge any time but when the charge is only set for specific time periods the car immediately errors once connected to the charger, the Mercedes Me app displaying a charge failure message and a popup 'error has occurred' message. When the charge schedule starts on the EO this doesn't seem to 'reset' the error on the car and the battery does not charge. The only solution appears to be to physically remove the cable and reinsert, which defeats the point of the smart charger.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks,
Stephen

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have seen this issue discussed elsewhere - but I can't remember where now! There was also a response from a chap who works for a charger manufacturer - many cars need an initial 'handshake' which can be done through charging for around 30 secs or so when the cable is first connected. Have you spoken to EO? There might be a firmware update available.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just realised that max charge station that my A250e saloon can use is 22kW Type 2 socket at the charge stations. No wonder it won’t charge when I connect it to BP Pulse charge station 43kW Type 2 socket... so frustrated. Just wondering if this is the across the board or depending on which type of A250e you have e.g. standard, premium, etc?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Just realised that max charge station that my A250e saloon can use is 22kW Type 2 socket at the charge stations. No wonder it won’t charge when I connect it to BP Pulse charge station 43kW Type 2 socket... so frustrated. Just wondering if this is the across the board or depending on which type of A250e you have e.g. standard, premium, etc?
It will charge on any AC charger with a type 2 connector - however the onboard systems limit it to 7kw. This is the same for all versions. In other markets you can option DC charging which uses the CCS connector (the small bottom flap opens too) and gives upto 25kw charge rate. Unfortunately Mercedes didn't think the UK market would want that option.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It will charge on any AC charger with a type 2 connector - however the onboard systems limit it to 7kw. This is the same for all versions. In other markets you can option DC charging which uses the CCS connector (the small bottom flap opens too) and gives upto 25kw charge rate. Unfortunately Mercedes didn't think the UK market would want that option.
Hi Antree, thanks for the advice. Regarding onboard system limit 7kW however I can successfully use the Osprey public charge station at 22kW type 2 socket (using its app).

Read one of the comments for the Nottingham Belfry Q Hotel BP Pulse public charge station that even though the BP Pulse web stated both mobile app and Polar Card could be used to pay, only Polar Card can be used apparently. So I am thinking if I could charge A250e saloon via type 2 43kW socket using the Polar Card, which I don’t have at the moment and I believe you have to register as BP Pulse member £5 a month to get the card. Is that right?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hi Antree, thanks for the advice. Regarding onboard system limit 7kW however I can successfully use the Osprey public charge station at 22kW type 2 socket (using its app).

Read one of the comments for the Nottingham Belfry Q Hotel BP Pulse public charge station that even though the BP Pulse web stated both mobile app and Polar Card could be used to pay, only Polar Card can be used apparently. So I am thinking if I could charge A250e saloon via type 2 43kW socket using the Polar Card, which I don’t have at the moment and I believe you have to register as BP Pulse member £5 a month to get the card. Is that right?
It doesn't matter if the charge point is above 7kw (ie the 22 or 43kw points you mention) - the car will only charge at a max of 7kw.

You can use BP Pulse through their app without a subscription for 25p/kwh. By paying the subscription (£7.85) it brings the unit cost down to 15p. You would have to do 8 complete charges (ie from 1% to 100%) a month on the BP network to break even.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It doesn't matter if the charge point is above 7kw (ie the 22 or 43kw points you mention) - the car will only charge at a max of 7kw.

You can use BP Pulse through their app without a subscription for 25p/kwh. By paying the subscription (£7.85) it brings the unit cost down to 15p. You would have to do 8 complete charges (ie from 1% to 100%) a month on the BP network to break even.
Thanks for the clarification Antnee, now it is much clearer. 👍👍👍

·
Registered
30 Posts
I ordered my 250e premium last week, it's due in June, I also get the free MB wall charger, can you schedule the charge with this?

21 - 40 of 46 Posts