Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I am weighing up a A250e vs a BMW330e. I’ve had a weekend demo of the 330e and it was nice I must admit but I prefer the looks and overall value for money of the A250e.

My driving does involve being away from home so won’t always be able to charge at home. The 330e had a self charge / battery level target option - useful to top up the battery for city use or to generate charge for pre climate etc, and maintain max available power.

ive got the A250e this weekend. I can’t see a similar option in its mass of menus. I can see a battery level option and I’ve driven in that mode for 20 miles but the battery is still at 1%. I plan to charge it overnight but have I got something wrong?

Any views much appreciated!!
Thanks
John

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think the Battery Level option is only designed to keep the battery maintained at the current level, it won't fully charge the car. In terms of the regen braking, the A250e and 330e work in the same way - in battery level/control mode they harvest as much as possible from braking.

·
Registered
333 Posts
There is no mode for the petrol engine to charge the battery - it is a very inefficient way for hybrids to work. It will charge from regenerative braking though, it is possible to build up quite a few miles that way.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I saw a video on the new Ford KUGA PHEV yesterday - interestingly that has a battery charge mode, which will charge the battery as you are driving with the ICE running. Despite it not being very efficient method, I wonder if OEMs are adding this mode to allow for forced EV mode operation in city/town centres to comply with clean air zones?
BMW announced recently that their PHEVs would automatically switch to EV when entering some cities, by making use of the geo-fencing systems available BMW launches world-first eDrive zones in the UK | Discover BMW

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you’re getting a car through a salary sacrifice or company car scheme the a250e is a no brainer. Worked out so much cheaper at 6% BIK vs 12% for the 330e. Interior space didn’t feel that much smaller and the boot in 330e is useless! Why they didn’t make a touring at the same time with a bigger battery is beyond me!

·
Registered
5 Posts
When my battery is empty the car goes in “Drive + Charge » mode which uses a lot of gas. Anyway to disable this mode? I’d rather wait until I can recharge my vehicle than burn gas to recharge my battery.

·
Registered
333 Posts
When my battery is empty the car goes in “Drive + Charge » mode which uses a lot of gas. Anyway to disable this mode? I’d rather wait until I can recharge my vehicle than burn gas to recharge my battery.
What drive mode are you using? Using 'battery level' may reduce how much it goes into charge.

·
Registered
5 Posts
When battery has charge, I'm using the "Electric" mode (EL).
It switches over to "Comfort" (C) mode on its own when the battery is at 1%.
I may have to try with "Battery Level" (BL) mode, but I was assuming it would do the same as it's trying to "recharge" the battery to the same level, ie 1%?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts