Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

New to this forum.

I have a 7-month-old Mercedes A35 (got it from new) and its been making a horrible grinding/clunking noise when steering right to the point it makes the car shudder and vibrate.

It’s been to Mercedes twice and have had Mercedes assist out also. I have been told this is a common noise A35s make in cold conditions.

Does anyone else have this issue. I can’t believe for a car that expensive and produced by AMG that this noise is standard and just to do with tyres and cold weather. I was not made aware of this noise when purchasing the car and quite honestly probably wouldn’t have proceeded as the noise is truly horrendous.

Thanks,

Livi

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Hi @livihurley24 and welcome to the forum.

The noise and shudder you describe is almost certainly normal and not a fault, although I agree it feels awful. It's common to a lot of high-performance cars that have a sporty suspension/steering setup.

Have a read of this other thread for more info

You'll get used to it, so whilst it's never pleasant, it will cease to bother you too much in time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi @livihurley24 and welcome to the forum.

The noise and shudder you describe is almost certainly normal and not a fault, although I agree it feels awful. It's common to a lot of high-performance cars that have a sporty suspension/steering setup.

Have a read of this other thread for more info

You'll get used to it, so whilst it's never pleasant, it will cease to bother you too much in time.
Hi,

Thank you for your reply. Mine only happens when turning right at low speed ie parking or turning into a corner.

Is that still the same?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Coincidentally my A35 is in for this noise + warranty brake replacement. I’ll let you know what they say when they hand it back.

Not sure why it’s acceptable for the noise to be so prominent... for a premium brand, it seems us MB customers have to put up with a lot of niggling issues!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Coincidentally my A35 is in for this noise + warranty brake replacement. I’ll let you know what they say when they hand it back.

Not sure why it’s acceptable for the noise to be so prominent... for a premium brand, it seems us MB customers have to put up with a lot of niggling issues!

Hi,

Mines been in twice and it wasn't until the second time they said it was a common noise. See attached what was said!

·
Registered
26 Posts
It is completely normal and quite a lot of ‘premium’ brand cars do it too.. it’s all down to steering geometry, it’s quite simply the inside wheel skipping across the surface whilst using highish steering lock as both wheels are turned at different angles.

It is nothing to worry about and it’s more prominent in low grip conditions, basically this time of year.

It’s a compete non issue.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Hi,

Thank you for your reply. Mine only happens when turning right at low speed ie parking or turning into a corner.

Is that still the same?
Mine does it when at full lock when turning left or right. It’s most noticeable when pulling out of my drive or in car parks and only when the tyres are cold.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts

Do report back with what the dealer says. As @Philmots wrote, it is a trait of a sporty suspension/steering setup. It’s well documented on Porsche forums with people new to the brand querying the skipping, although my old Porsche only used to do it when reverse parking using full lock. My A35 does it both forwards and reverse. I suspect the symptoms may be more acute for cars with the 19” wheels, but that’s just a hunch.

I hope for your sake that the technician doesn’t start messing about with the wheel geometry to try and fix the symptoms because this might screw up the handling of the car. Still I’m sure they know what they doing... ?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Gents, that grinding noise is completely normal as I have this on my 911. Its due to the negative camber on the front wheels. You should be happy that you have cars which have negative camber at the front as it will help you more than you realise in high speed manouvering.

·
Registered
A35, 2019
63 Posts
This is "normal" but it doesn't have to be.
When we got our C43 in 2017 the noise from the front wheels on full lock and cold tyres was horrible, the car seemed to jump. Our dealer made a big fuss and Mercedes finally agreed that there was a subjective issue. About 8 months later I was asked to bring the car in to have new tyres fitted: it seems the Mercedes AMG front end set up is VERY tyre sensitive.
The Conti's went and a set of Bridgestone Potenza Sport tyres were fitted.
The problem disappeared.

The A35 does this, to a lesser degree.

As the A35 us eating its Conti's, fronts down to 3.8/2.8 at 5300 miles, I've swapped front to rear and will be fitting a set of 4 Potenza's in the Autumn.

·
Registered
121 Posts
This is "normal" but it doesn't have to be.
When we got our C43 in 2017 the noise from the front wheels on full lock and cold tyres was horrible, the car seemed to jump. Our dealer made a big fuss and Mercedes finally agreed that there was a subjective issue. About 8 months later I was asked to bring the car in to have new tyres fitted: it seems the Mercedes AMG front end set up is VERY tyre sensitive.
The Conti's went and a set of Bridgestone Potenza Sport tyres were fitted.
The problem disappeared.

The A35 does this, to a lesser degree.

As the A35 us eating its Conti's, fronts down to 3.8/2.8 at 5300 miles, I've swapped front to rear and will be fitting a set of 4 Potenza's in the Autumn.
My car was on the 18's with factory Conti's which I recently replaced with the 19" A35 alloys which came with new Pirellis, and reading this i've only just clicked that my car is not doing it anymore. So yes definitely tyre sensitive.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
my 45 did it on pirelli Pzeros but was fine on michelin PS4s
My A35 is on 19" Michelin PS4S tyres and it does skip and jump at low speed when the tyres are cold. That said, it was a lot more pronounced when the tyres were new. Now that they are partially worn (fronts are 5mm after 8.7k) the skipping is barely happening. PS4S' have a sticky compound and there is probably a lot of tread block movement which might exaggerate the skipping which is caused by the ackermann/anti-ackermann suspension geometry setup.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Despite the above, I'd have Michelin PS4S' back on my car in a heartbeat. Absolutely brilliant tyre, although I'll admit I don't have any experience of other tyres on the A35 to compare them against.

Hope the lease company agree to replace them like for like when the time comes.

·
Registered
71 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
It’s normal as it’s all to do with the tracking on some sports cars or something like that. By all accounts porches can do it as well as a quite a few others. Will only happen when tyres are cold and turning slowly as they skip across the surface of the road and that’s the noise you can hear.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts