Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My daughter has a 12 month old A35 and on the service it was reported back that the front rims have cracked is several places. I assume she must have hit a pot hole or two!

Mercedes recommended replacement at over £1500 for 2 which seems expensive, any recommendations for a cheaper alternative?
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Light
Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel Automotive tire Bicycle tire
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Tread
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle tire Tread

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both wheels have the same damage. just had the tyres changed and the technician referred to them as chocolate wheels! Ive gone back to Mercedes to see if I can get them under warranty but not holding out much hope, cars only done 12k miles.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Ah right. Good luck, you may get a gesture of good will unless there are other know cases of this. I’d imagine they’d argue it’s the driver’s fault for hitting potholes or banging up on kerbs 🙄

·
Super Moderator
5,516 Posts
The above thread posted by @veeeight is a good source. My view when it comes to my daughters, Mini and another's X3, if I'm paying, I will only go for the manufacturer recommended parts for critical items such as tyres and I would put wheels in that same category. The one who owns the X3 had a tyre blow, literally, on the M25, but the wheel was fine even though the undercarriage suffered damage and was quoted £9.5K to fix by BMW, but the insurance company has got that down. Basically, for £1,500 is it worth an insurance claim. Are the other two wheels actually alright, have the garage checked the car side of those rims.

·
Premium Member
A35 Premium Plus
143 Posts
The part number for the A35 19” 14 spoke is A1774011900.

There’s loads on flea bay that look similar, remember that the offset is ET40.

@Weegie has one for sale on here, or he did have.

·
Registered
31 Posts
These wheels are poorly made/designed with the low profile tire combo. Very high claim/replacement rate on them as they're also found on the c43s and a few other cars. Cast wheels made in CZ by Ronal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Premium Member
A35 Premium Plus
143 Posts
The offset will be different, think they are ET48 and you need ET40. You may need to fit spacers.

The depth of the actual wheel is smaller too. Those are 7.5J and the correct wheels should be 8J, as I said it’s a mine field. Correct SKU/part number is A1774011900.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey all,

Just looking for some advice, my rim originally had a crack around a year ago and I got it welded. The rims cracked again so will need a replacement as I am told they can't weld the same crack twice. As well as this I require a new tyre which has lost tread.

Mercedes have quoted around £800 for a new rim (19 inch) and around £210 for a new tyre. Although they noted they won't fit them and will just hand me the rim to get it fitted elsewhere. They have also said I need to come into the local showroom to order which makes things complicated as I am informed I shouldn't really be driving the car with the rim/tyre as it is due to a possible blowout.

In any case I asked if I could get the rim fitted during my upcoming service (which is under the service pack) and they have quoted an additional £140 an hour fitting but depends how long it takes.

This is quite a bit of money so just wondering, is there a good reliable place to buy replacement rims, possibly second hand for a cheaper price? One thing is I need it to be the same rim and no fakes. Same thing for tyres too, is there a reliable place to buy? Although I think my local tyre shop also quoted me around £200 last time I went so I guess that's the going rate.

Never had a rim crack before but heard it's common with bigger rims. Apparently it hit a pothole and caused the crack so I am also going to put in a claim to the council.

I am looking to sell the car/replace by end of May next year so need a rim which keeps me going for next year or so.

Appreciate any advice.

·
Premium Member
A35 Premium Plus
143 Posts
Try Asda tyres for the tyre, very responsible and you can select a fitting service close to your home location. The part number for the correct A35 rim is A1774011900. They are 5x112, 8J with a ET40 offset.

Reactions: bboy

·
Super Moderator
5,516 Posts
Gave up and bit the bullet got two from Mercedes’ managed to knock them down to £1350.
Good decision.

As I said above are you sure about the rear two.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts