Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,516 Posts
Hey all,

Just looking for some advice, my rim originally had a crack around a year ago and I got it welded. The rims cracked again so will need a replacement as I am told they can't weld the same crack twice. As well as this I require a new tyre which has lost tread.

Mercedes have quoted around £800 for a new rim (19 inch) and around £210 for a new tyre. Although they noted they won't fit them and will just hand me the rim to get it fitted elsewhere. They have also said I need to come into the local showroom to order which makes things complicated as I am informed I shouldn't really be driving the car with the rim/tyre as it is due to a possible blowout.

In any case I asked if I could get the rim fitted during my upcoming service (which is under the service pack) and they have quoted an additional £140 an hour fitting but depends how long it takes.

This is quite a bit of money so just wondering, is there a good reliable place to buy replacement rims, possibly second hand for a cheaper price? One thing is I need it to be the same rim and no fakes. Same thing for tyres too, is there a reliable place to buy? Although I think my local tyre shop also quoted me around £200 last time I went so I guess that's the going rate.

Never had a rim crack before but heard it's common with bigger rims. Apparently it hit a pothole and caused the crack so I am also going to put in a claim to the council.

I am looking to sell the car/replace by end of May next year so need a rim which keeps me going for next year or so.

Appreciate any advice.
I personally, as @Bluebaron has done below, would go with MB. The MB garage must use an alloy refurb company so that could deal with the pick up and tyre fitting for you without costing an arm and a leg. For instance to get my previous A45 alloy picked up repaired and refitted at home was less than £100.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi all,

My daughter has a 12 month old A35 and on the service it was reported back that the front rims have cracked is several places. I assume she must have hit a pot hole or two!

Mercedes recommended replacement at over £1500 for 2 which seems expensive, any recommendations for a cheaper alternative? View attachment 9641 View attachment 9643 View attachment 9642 View attachment 9644
If you buy Non-Standard Wheels for your Merc you will probably invalidate the 3 year warranty that you hold. It is always advisable to fit standard parts, even if they are expensive, that's the drawback in buying a premium car.
What is surprising is the shape of the Crack. I cannot see any other damage in the area to imply that an impact took place. Normally such damage on both Wheels would imply a straight ahead Kerb impact and not at high speed [probably less that 20mph]. The edge of the Wheel should show signs of deformation and the Tyre would have some damage because of the forces pushed through onto the wheel.

·
Registered
185 Posts
If you buy Non-Standard Wheels for your Merc you will probably invalidate the 3 year warranty that you hold. It is always advisable to fit standard parts, even if they are expensive, that's the drawback in buying a premium car.
What is surprising is the shape of the Crack. I cannot see any other damage in the area to imply that an impact took place. Normally such damage on both Wheels would imply a straight ahead Kerb impact and not at high speed [probably less that 20mph]. The edge of the Wheel should show signs of deformation and the Tyre would have some damage because of the forces pushed through onto the wheel.
My current A35 is my first foray into Mercedes brand and I've got to say I'm not impressed with their quality and reliability. Many people have said that they're, once stellar quality and reliability, diminished some time ago. I can't fault their design and use of technology though. I suppose many of us make the compromise to enjoy this “luxury” brand.

·
Super Moderator
5,516 Posts
Reactions: ReDellaStrada
21 - 26 of 26 Posts