Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A dog attacked my car tonight and smashed the grille. This is what the damage looks like, Car at 75kph, Large black Alsation bolted from bushes at side of road in the dark. Suprisingley little damage, certainly not worth my insurance excess. So the question is who do you recomend for replacement grille. Who's bought one they would recommend ?
Maybe I should take the oppertunity to upgrade to the vertical bars although I don't think it looks as nice as the origonal.
Any help appreciated.
Tire Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Grille

·
Administrator
5,159 Posts
The radar sensor behind the star will need realignment and calibrating.
You might as well get a price from the dealer for genuine parts, fit them yourself or a local workshop, then get the car booked in for a radar sensor alignment and calibration.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anybody got an exploded veiw of front with part numbers for 2019/20 A35 ? It's all the plastic bits and bobs behind the grille I'm particularly interested in.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
V8 I need your expertise does the 'Distronic' front star have a sensor in it or is the wire connection just for the heater element in it? It doesn't appear to be damaged but the chrome bezel that clips on arround it is. I can't seem to find it without the star. Number stamped on it 204448. ( Star is A0008880000) if it's just a heater embeded ( do I need that in Oz?) I could proberbly use the much cheaper non heated version, it seems daft to have to buy the whole thing at about $450 to get the plastic surround.
Any Ideas?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I’m sorry to read about your accident. I’m glad you’re okay and I wish you all the best for getting your car repaired. Dare I ask about the poor dog?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m sorry to read about your accident. I’m glad you’re okay and I wish you all the best for getting your car repaired. Dare I ask about the poor dog?
Unfortunatly the dog was about 3/4 dead when a woman turned up and said 'I shouldn't be driving I've had to much to drink but I'm out looking for my dog and this is it' It was in a bad way but she then proceeded to try to give it mouth to mouth, then put it on the front seat of her Ute and left. I've never made an insurance claim in my 61 years of driving and 39 cars so I reckon I'll just have to get on with fixing it.
My last frontal dog attack was on the Anglia I had just built from a new shell. Ford sold them for £167 when production finished in 1967. I was not pleased then!
Car Vehicle Land vehicle Vehicle registration plate Plant

·
Administrator
5,159 Posts
@sr3rad you really need to sit with the parts dept at the dealership, these parts are quite dependent on the VIN number, and vary according to build date and options.

350 is the radar sensor, 360 is the radar sensor bracket.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@sr3rad you really need to sit with the parts dept at the dealership, these parts are quite dependent on the VIN number, and vary according to build date and options.

350 is the radar sensor, 360 is the radar sensor bracket.

Thanks very much for that it does help. If 120 is the Distronic star then the bezel does look like it's included with the star and not separate although it clips on to the edge of the star. At least it would if the lugs hadn't broken off. The circled point is the socket for the electrical connection which I assume is just for the heater elements in the front. the sensor is mounted on a separate alloy bracket immediatly behind the star not cliped to the back with a plastic holder. I am booked in at MB on the 9th. for the door seal replacement so I'll hope for further info then.
Many thanks for the diagrams. Are these parts sheets available or only to people with contacts such as yourself?
Land vehicle Bicycle part Rim Automotive lighting Oval

·
Administrator
5,159 Posts
You can get a subscription with Daimler for parts info, workshop info, or sometimes a search on the internet can yield parts diagrams too. But don't rely 100% on the part numbers as many items are very VIN specific, and may have been superseded with later parts.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So If anyone is interested the 'Star' is $999 (can't buy Bezel without star) and the A35 front grille is $1061 So thank your lucky Stars if you've never hit a dog/kangaroo/cat etc. Took the front off today and find I do need the radiator plastic shroud so will prepare myself for another expensive visit to the parts department.
Ps Managed to halve the above prices by ordering Star from Germany and Grille from UK even with shipping.
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Super Moderator
5,485 Posts
Unfortunatly the dog was about 3/4 dead when a woman turned up and said 'I shouldn't be driving I've had to much to drink but I'm out looking for my dog and this is it' It was in a bad way but she then proceeded to try to give it mouth to mouth, then put it on the front seat of her Ute and left. I've never made an insurance claim in my 61 years of driving and 39 cars so I reckon I'll just have to get on with fixing it.
My last frontal dog attack was on the Anglia I had just built from a new shell. Ford sold them for £167 when production finished in 1967. I was not pleased then! View attachment 9638
I too was wondering about the dog. I hope it actually did survive. Having had GSDs it's unusual one would have been so unaware to do this.

So you supplied your car to the Harry Potter film franchise I see.

Reactions: sr3rad

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Put the front back on this morning and went to order part no. A1778850003. I photographed the part no on the item. MB parts department say the part no. doesn't exist, Google say's it does with plenty in your neck of the woods but not here. MB have ordered A1778809002 for me in the hope that it's the same. With my long experience of parts departments why do I have a feeling of foreboding.
The parts man say's when it comes it will probably have 2 part no. on it!??
Likely V8????

·
Administrator
5,159 Posts
The parts man say's when it comes it will probably have 2 part no. on it!??
Likely V8????
Hah. M-B parts numbering system…. Read this and weep

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hah. M-B parts numbering system…. Read this and weep

The part isn't shown on the diagrams above unfortunatly. MB have ordered A1778809002 (180 on the diagram below
Product Rectangle Font Parallel Engineering

). I have strong doubts about it as my part does not have filled in panels it's more a frame with centre bar that the alloy bracket for the Distronic module attaches to ( see photo above of car with front off). We'll see what turns up.

·
Administrator
5,159 Posts
I think A1778809002 is the correct part for your A35. The reason it looks filled in is that there are variants of this fitted to other W177 models, that have the active shutters fitted, that open and close to restrict airflow. Not on the A35 though.

·
Super Moderator
5,485 Posts
The part isn't shown on the diagrams above unfortunatly. MB have ordered A1778809002 (180 on the diagram below View attachment 9679
). I have strong doubts about it as my part does not have filled in panels it's more a frame with centre bar that the alloy bracket for the Distronic module attaches to ( see photo above of car with front off). We'll see what turns up.
I have seen the explanation by @veeeight for the new part but wonder if your wiring will still work.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have seen the explanation by @veeeight for the new part but wonder if your wiring will still work.
As far as I can see the wiring is not damaged. Not immediately, but shortly after the accident I lost Active lane Assist, Cruise Control etc. and I understand that I will need to have the Distronic system recalibrated after I've put it all back together. I hope the module is ok as that's another $600 or so if it's not. Fingers crossed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts