Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's 4 weeks away from my insurance renewal. Just went on to comparethemarket.com and the cheapest fully comp is £430. That's for a 57 year old duffer with 3 years no claims (as drove abroad for 11 years prior). Last year I paid about £370 with Churchill who didn't appear on my list of 55 providers this time. So it looks like with Covid and actual A35 claims records for insurers to drool over that premiums are going up!!

Must be a load of you guys coming up for renewal so please share your experiences.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Went through this myself last month. All quotes were higher than I paid last year, some massively so! I actually stuck with my current provider (Privilege) as they were the best offer at only £20 more than last year...
£371.84. 36, 8 years NCB, wife also on insurance, 10,000 miles p/a, £300 voluntary excess

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Went through this myself last month. All quotes were higher than I paid last year, some massively so! I actually stuck with my current provider (Privilege) as they were the best offer at only £20 more than last year...
£371.84. 36, 8 years NCB, wife also on insurance, 10,000 miles p/a, £300 voluntary excess
Good price @rokut. I will be having a word with Churchill and see what they can quote for a renewal. Trouble is, I think loads of people initially went with them as they were the cheapest in the early days of the A35 by a decent margin. I'm guessing they might just be regretting that, which is why they no longer appear on my comparethemarket quote list.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Oh dear :( I'm with Churchill at the moment. I think I paid £460. Hope I can find a renewal for similar...

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
I have this issue with my youngest daughter's insurance every year, it always goes up. I am hoping it will be the last year as she is now qualified. I go on comparison websites and then call the company up such as currently Hastings, previously Admiral and negotiate. Aviva don't negotiate but the others I find do. Also some insurance companies such as Admiral quote a higher premium for parking in a carport and then getting the mileage down to what you actually realistically do rather than say 12K miles make a difference as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Re-insured with Aviva end of the month. Last year was £401, this year £478. Did search other companies but no-one was cheaper. Some were within a few pounds and some much more expensive, so not worth the bother of switching. I'm 73, live on the south coast and have an exemplary record (i.e. never been caught!). Was thinking of a stage 1 tune with someone like Brabus but given up the idea as I'm sure insurance would be even more of an issue.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Re-insured with Aviva end of the month. Last year was £401, this year £478. Did search other companies but no-one was cheaper. Some were within a few pounds and some much more expensive, so not worth the bother of switching. I'm 73, live on the south coast and have an exemplary record (i.e. never been caught!). Was thinking of a stage 1 tune with someone like Brabus but given up the idea as I'm sure insurance would be even more of an issue.
My insurance is with Aviva too and they were one of the few who would quote me for a Brabus on my last A45. I had to leave my Lloyds policy for the stage 1 and move to Aviva part way through the policy period. My wife and I have a multicar policy with Aviva, which means I pay of course, but that lowers the price as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Now that's interesting, Tks. Still trying to find some solid facts and figures and reviews about Brabus for the A35 before I take the plunge. But that's for another thread on another day!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh dear :( I'm with Churchill at the moment. I think I paid £460. Hope I can find a renewal for similar...
How long until renewal, @AThirtyFive? I think they issue revised premium info 21 days prior to policy end date. Should have mine in a week. I'll post it here for a heads-up. I have a felling it will be prohibitive but fingers crossed they want to keep my business.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
How long until renewal, @AThirtyFive? I think they issue revised premium info 21 days prior to policy end date. Should have mine in a week. I'll post it here for a heads-up. I have a felling it will be prohibitive but fingers crossed they want to keep my business.
Hi @Maxspencer99, mine is due for renewal in November. I’ll be very interested to see if your renewal is significantly higher as it will surely be a sign of what’s to come for me too. I assume you haven’t made any claims?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Ah yes, good call @Maxspencer99

I had 14K miles per annum on my insurance policy to match the mileage on my lease contract. I actually only did 9K in the first year, and I suspect this current year is going to be even less due to the restrictions. I'll probably put 6K down for next year come renewal time. Hopefully this will offset any premium increases that I would have had like for like.

Reactions: Maxspencer99

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You're making me think that 10k is too much now, @AThirtyFive. Does it make a huge difference in premium? It's a bit of a lottery guessing how badly this pandemic will mess with the next twelve months.
Ah yes, good call @Maxspencer99

I had 14K miles per annum on my insurance policy to match the mileage on my lease contract. I actually only did 9K in the first year, and I suspect this current year is going to be even less due to the restrictions. I'll probably put 6K down for next year come renewal time. Hopefully this will offset any premium increases that I would have had like for like.

·
Registered
A200d Prem+ DAP
136 Posts
In the past I’ve found that adding 10k to my annual mileage hasn’t made much difference to my premium, so don’t build your hopes up

·
Registered
25 Posts
@Forrester - Gave Aviva a call regards stage 1 Brabus. They say it's changed within the last few weeks and they no longer insure any remap that generates more than and extra 35bhp and Brabus generates an extra 44bhp(ish). Shame as I had made my mind up to give it a twirl but can't be asked ringing around other companies.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Have a look at the W176 section. If you search through Google, as the site search engine isn't great, Shaun mentioned a broker.

Once I find out what Brabus has for the A45s I will ask Aviva too. When I floated the idea with them before lockdown they said come back once I had spec details. Anyway what I might do if Aviva still don't offer cover is wait for the FL version which should be a lot more powerful using electric turbo and hybrid technology. It's just that with my wife's car with Aviva as a multi car package I am slightly locked in.

It was mentioned here Keith Michaels Insurance Renewal Quote

·
Registered
2020 A35 AMG
60 Posts
Can’t believe how cheap it is for you lot.

I’m 28 years old, I’ve got 8 years no claims and I’ve just paid £700 with eSure. Haha!

Does anyone know when you’re no longer considered a “young driver”, isn’t that when the prices drop dramatically? Or is it a myth?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Can’t believe how cheap it is for you lot.

I’m 28 years old, I’ve got 8 years no claims and I’ve just paid £700 with eSure. Haha!

Does anyone know when you’re no longer considered a “young driver”, isn’t that when the prices drop dramatically? Or is it a myth?
I'll pay your insurance premium if you gift me our 29 years age difference to live over. Not sure what emoji follows that!!! Age has to have some compensations, though, they aren't many. £700 isn't so bad. I paid £400 on a Peugeot 305 3rd party fire and theft when I was 18 (39 years ago).

1 - 20 of 66 Posts