Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

A35 Questions & Issues

6K views 24 replies 6 participants last post by  AMV8 
#1 ·
Sorry if this has been covered. Collecting my 2019 a35 this weekend. It’s a premium pack car ( not prem plus ). Am I right in saying that all the 2019 onwards a35 premium and premium plus hatches come with twin 10” screens and ambient lighting?

Reason I ask is, I’ve seen some premium a35 saloons with the 7” screens and no ambient lighting..

The car i’m buying does have the twin 10” screens and pretty sure it has the lighting as well.. when spec’d on the a35 does the lighting extend along the dash, centre console and door cards?

Thanks

#2 ·
Sorry if this has been covered. Collecting my 2019 a35 this weekend. It’s a premium pack car ( not prem plus ). Am I right in saying that all the 2019 onwards a35 premium and premium plus hatches come with twin 10” screens and ambient lighting?

Reason I ask is, I’ve seen some premium a35 saloons with the 7” screens and no ambient lighting..

The car i’m buying does have the twin 10” screens and pretty sure it has the lighting as well.. when spec’d on the a35 does the lighting extend along the dash, centre console and door cards?

Thanks
Yes, your car should have the ambient lighting that runs across the dash and door cards. I believe all Premium pack cars have this along with twin 10" screens. I suspect the A35 saloons you've seen with 7" screens have no packs on them and are being advertised inaccurately as Premium.

Base = twin 7" screens, no ambient lighting
Exec = 7" drivers screen + 10" central screen, no ambient
Premium & Premium Plus - twin 10" screens + ambient

HTH

Reactions: AMV8
#4 ·
Picked the car up today. Went well for the most part, apart from 2 front tyres which will need replaced shortly and a little bit of curbing on the front wheel. Car drives great, cabin is elite for a hot hatch too. On a side note, should the Dealer have gave me a copy of the hpi report on the car?

#5 ·
ask for may tell you , if not and you have the car reg look up a HPI checker may have to pay, but its a great peace of mind

#6 ·
So picked up the car. Quicker than I expected with slugs of torque. Ride is firm but not crashy. Interior is such a nice place to be. Some of the materials do feel a bit cheap but the main focal points are lovely - the screens, steering wheels and centre console..

Few issues, the brakes tend to squeak. Doesn’t matter if they’re warmed or not, the discs and pads have lots of life left - is this a common issue? The front seats have some sagging but nothing Major - is it worth booking into Mercedes to see if they will sort these issues under warranty?

The front tyres are getting low on tread. Jct600 claim they sell cars with a minimum of 3mm tread, these seems less. When i complained about this they refused to do anything.. don’t think im being unreasonable? Worth trying to escalate to upper management?

#7 ·
Picked up my used a35 from Jct600 this weekend. It’s a 2019 car with 11,500 miles.
When speaking to the sales person I was told the “cars mint”. As I live 5/6 hours away I took his word for it and placed a holding deposit followed by the balance in full a week a later.

Initially I was meant to get a train to the garage to collect the car but being too far I asked them to have the car transported to stansted airport and I’d collect from there.

The car arrived pretty filthy on the transporter due to weather etc. Upon viewing I noticed one front wheel has some curbing on the lip, the two front tyres were around 60-70% worn as well. I called the sales guy and he said he refund me £50 for the wheel and wouldn’t do anything for the tyres. I wasn’t entirely happy with the outcome but I took the car and left. Spoke to his manager later that day and he claimed they don’t sell cars with tyres below 3mm and didn’t offer any resolution. I washed the car today and spotted on the paint work, mainly the bonnet and front bumper some stone chips. I’d say 10 or less over all.

Now I know it’s a used car with circa 12k miles but are this many stone chips acceptable? It’s a black car so does show signs of wear more than say white or silver.
The rest of the car is fine but the stone chips are bothering me, obv it won’t be in new condition but am I being unreasonable?

#8 ·
Difficult one that. As you say, you bought a secondhand car so it's reasonable to expect some wear and tear. But I guess it comes down to how the condition was described in the advertisement. Did the written advert claim the car is in mint condition? If so, then frankly I wouldn't expect any alloy kerb damage, and based on the condition of my own A35 after 15k miles, no more than 2 or 3 tiny stone chips, i.e. barely noticeable unless you really look for them. That said, my car is Mojave Silver and therefore much more forgiving than black.

#9 ·
The sales guy did say the cars mint, I’ve spoken to head of business and he said he’s happy to pay for a chips away repair on the stone chips, but tyres he won’t do anything. They refunded me £50 for the curbed wheel too. In hindsight I should have went down the main dealer route or privately..

#11 ·
monday spoke to a chips away about my car, sadly they wont do it as to the satin finish . need a top shop to do the colour match .
so if its a standard paint finish should be ok . sorry cant be more helpfull

#17 ·
Have a look at pirelli RO2 they have a great lip/ wall on them bit of added protection

#19 ·
If the air-con doesn’t blow cold then you probably need a re-gas. But more importantly, why has the original gas gone? The answer to this will probably decide as to whether MB cover the cost or not. For instance, a stone into the radiator may be the cause.
You need to get MB to diagnose the issue.

#20 ·
Re squealing brakes - you prob have pad deposits.

see

#21 ·
Maybe I missed it but doesn’t mention anything about rectifying the brake squeal? Is this something other 35 owners have experienced and would it be worth having MB look at this and most likely fob me off..

Also the centre caps seem to be getting corroded, is this something warranty would cover?

#23 ·
Maybe I missed it but doesn’t mention anything about rectifying the brake squeal? Is this something other 35 owners have experienced and would it be worth having MB look at this and most likely fob me off..
Yes you have missed it.

Click on that link in post #20 and try out the braking procedure outlined in there first to see if it gets rid of your brake squeal.

Most people that have carried out the braking procedure have eliminated or reduced the brake squeal at low speeds.

#22 ·
to add to the brake issue. I can also hear a slight clicking noise front the front wheels - sounds like somethings lightly catching, is it likely this is related to the brake or maybe a bearing issue?
also if it turns out a stone chip damaged the air con unit - are mb likely to charge me for diagnosing the issue ( cars under warranty )

#25 ·
Booked the car in at Mercedes who refused to
Give me a courtesy car as it wasn’t purchased through them, also mentioned if the faults aren’t covered by warranty there will be a £99 diagnosis charge.. would it be likely that they’ll try charge me if the ac failure is due to a stone chip.. typical crap customer service

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.