Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey evryone
So I picked up the first A35 in Canada, as far as I know, and I passed the break in period properly and all. I'm at about 1700km on the car and wanted to try Race Start but i cannot get it to work. I read the manual on it made sure all the parameters were good but i depress the brake (quick/slow/hard) it just gives me the HOLD sign. Not sure if i have to go more km's before the car will let me do it.

·
Super Moderator
1,794 Posts
Press the brake and stamp the gas. Hold it down until revs build and then release brake. Works in any driving mode but the sportier the mode the higher the revs.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
@Markic_A35 you need to hold the brake pedal with your left foot, right foot on the accelerator to build the revs, then release left foot and hold on ?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Do you not have to change the traction control to sports handling or whatever it’s called and be in sports + to get it to launch?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Do you not have to change the traction control to sports handling or whatever it’s called and be in sports + to get it to launch?
Yes that was my understanding as well, but I've only ever tried in Sport+, never in any other mode so can't confirm whether it works in Sport or Comfort

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Markic_A35 you need to hold the brake pedal with your left foot, right foot on the accelerator to build the revs, then release left foot and hold on ?
**** that’s what I tried because my RS7 that’s how it was, that’s why I thought I needed to drive the car more before it will let me. Thank you though I’ll try it again today and hopefully it works!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Engine and transmission temps have to be past a set minimum as well, the system won't allow a launch from cold. Mine wouldn't take off until the engine temp was mid-range on the gauge.

As far as I'm aware, from my sessions on the airfield hardstanding at work … car warmed up, Sport+ mode, brake hold, floor the throttle and the engine cycles at 3000-3500 rpm, then release the brake. A nudge with your non-throttle foot seems best. John at the Brooklands AMG Academy later showed me the same routine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The problem I had was that I wasn't pressing the gas hard enough. You really need to stamp that throttle hard and fast.
That’s exactly what I ended up doing and it worked, I was being too gentle with the gas haha. Thanks!!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Heh it can be daunting flooring it at first, knowing what even a gentle nudge of the gas will do.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Heh it can be daunting flooring it at first, knowing what even a gentle nudge of the gas will do.
You're right about those gentle nudges :D
Can't wait to try Race Start but I'm still holding out for the perfect stretch of road. I did take a battery charging detour after dropping off some food supplies to my octogenarian parents and found myself on a 2 mile stretch of bendy B road. No other traffic to be seen. Didn't take it much over the speed limit but had some fun around the corners and accelerating out of them. I'd forgotten how much adrenaline the car brings to the table. First big smile on my face for weeks. To be honest, it was badly needed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts