Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2020A35 4Matic Premium Plus, Driver Assist, Sun Yellow
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realise that this wont appeal to all (and no doubt some comments will reflect that) but for those who say that you cannot fit a Towbar to an A35 you can. Had a Witter removable one fitted and coded using a mobile fitter who did an excellent job.

Towbar: Witter Detachable Swan Neck, 13 Pin Vehicle Specific Electrics
Witter Detachable Swan Towbar (vertical loading) | Witter Towbars
Fitting Company: Road Radio Ltd Crawley (cover the South East and will come to you to fit at home)
Road Radio
email: [email protected]
Tel: 01293 533941

First Off is your car homologated for towing?

Check the VIN plate on the driver’s side door pillar.

1st Line is the Gross Vehicle Weight of the car (2055Kg)
2nd line is the Gross Vehicle Weight when towing a trailer. (3955Kg) if this line is blank then your vehicle is NOT homologated for towing.
2nd line minus 1st line = Max Towing weight. E.g 3955 – 2055 = 1900Kg max towing weight
(Lines beginning 1- and 2- are front and rear axle weights

Do you need to cut the bumper?
Short answer yes but in my mind you cannot see it unless you are absolutely looking for it. (It disappears into the shadows) - See the picture below of the cut but also see the pictures of the finished car taken from behind at different angles – the cut is not visible. In the end you decide but I am happy with it.

Installation Photos
Crash Bar off

Tow Bar bolted on

What Bumper Cut?

The finished article.

And the reason I wanted a Tow Bar is to take this beast to other places :cool:

Attachments

·
Administrator
5,164 Posts
Thanks for the write up, instructions including checking your VIN plate for homologation, and the excellent photos (y)

I have linked your thread to the more general W177 tow bar discussion on the main forum.

Tow Bar

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the write up, instructions including checking your VIN plate for homologation, and the excellent photos (y)

I have linked your thread to the more general W177 tow bar discussion on the main forum.

Tow Bar
No worries - Thanks for the cross link, I knew there was another thread - I've even posted in it :), but I didn't find it this morning.

·
Registered
6 Posts

What Bumper Cut?
View attachment 8466

The finished article.

View attachment 8469
Hey!!! You're a lifesaver! I'm about to buy this car, coming from a 2018 GLA 45 with tow bar fitted as well, BUT my biggest concern now ir.... I'm looking into the A35 Aero pack which has a spoiler below your rear diffuser..... Do you think the cut on the bumper would also affect this part?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey!!! You're a lifesaver! I'm about to buy this car, coming from a 2018 GLA 45 with tow bar fitted as well, BUT my biggest concern now ir.... I'm looking into the A35 Aero pack which has a spoiler below your rear diffuser..... Do you think the cut on the bumper would also affect this part?

View attachment 8519
Yep it will - see the straight piece at the very bottom of the diffuser. That is like a flat piece screwed on to the bottom of each downward fin, but its full depth going right under the diffuser. The very centre piece (the wide bit) would have to be removed otherwise you could not fit the bar, not could you swing down the electrics. So not so nice, or you remove that bottom piece entirely and have the rest of the aero kit?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.