Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about going for the Matt Silver Paint on the A45,

Other than cons on this being expensive paint choice. What are the cons to Matt paint?

Is there any special care or treatment i should be aware of? Anyone able to help?

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I'm sure I read somewhere you've got to be careful when washing it and make sure you remove bugs/tree sap etc. ASAP as it can damage the finish. Oh and never polish it

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah i thought so, seems like a massive hassle. Especially if my car will be sitting on the road most of the time.

thanks for getting back to me

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
If you really like the matte effect I would just get it wrapped and save all the hassle

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got told the matt colour not available not till 4Q. i'm not waiting that long!...Still dont know what colour to go for. Do you know any good websites showing the a45 in different colours? i dont trust the configuration online

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Yeah I've seen some of his work, you need a wax for matte effect paint rather than a polish according to my Detailer friend. Edited by: aguycalleddb

·
Registered
373 Posts
When ordering mine in Jan I was told the designo(matte) paintwas unavailable indefinitely so had to re-order in metallic.

As far as care for matte paint goes, the onlymajor downside is that you can not blend a panel when re-spraying. I.e. if you gat a scratch, or stone chips, or minor dent, you MUST re-spray the whole panel. There is still a lacquer on matte finish, just one that is not gloss.

If you are someone that is fairly meticulous about caring for your car paint, and do it by hand, following all the common methods of protecting, caring, removing bird poo, tar etc carefully and quickly, then I don't think it is any harder to care for. But if you are a £5 car wash kinda person than I would steer well clear.
Edited by: reza

·
Registered
297 Posts
Not trying to scare you off the matte paint buddy, but here are the facts.

Pros : -Looks amazing, definitely distinctive, unique, headturners, paparazi-magnet etc etc.
(All positive when it comes to appearances and outlooks)
Cons: -Needs alot of attentive detailing, consume alot of time, uses alot of specialized product. </span> </span> </span>(expensive special products for matte, hard to find, uncommon, rare.)
(basically consumes ALOT of your time and like reza said, if you are the type to clean by
</span> handand have hours to spend on the car on the weekend, then by all means go for it)</span>
</span> -Stone chips are like cancer to your car, get one and its</span>irreparable.</span>
</span> -Bird stains are like tumors, get one with the lump and your paint is as good as </span> </span> </span> </span>scratched/damaged. You must remove it with surgical hands and with high precision.</span>

</span>
Basically what i'm trying to get at here is that.. If this is gonna be your daily drive, DON'T get the matte paint. As you will and mark my words, you will regret getting the matte paint.</span>

</span>
The other alternative is that you get it wrapped, like already suggested above. That way you know when it gets damaged, it's only the wrap.</span>

</span>
I've heard from my mate at the DVG hyundai dealer over here, for the veloster Turbo that comes in Matte paint, that they have to sign a "disclaimer form" to announce that any damage done to the paint will NOT be covered by the dealer as the paint is very sensitive and gets damaged easily. Honestly if this was me, daily car, no way. Weekend car, i might consider it twice.

Anyway just some food for thought, make sure you do a long detailed research before making up your mind. Matte paint is no joking matter. Let us know of your updates!

Edited by: Loevess

1 - 11 of 11 Posts