Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
So I am looking at a putting a A45 engine into my A250 as a project but not sure if it’s possible. So my question is, if it is possible, what will I need to be swapping over? Will the 250 need any modifications to the engine bay/chassis to accommodate the 45s engine? If it’s going to cost a fortune I’ll probably have to look at upgrading to the A45 which will cost me around 7k plus my car as it stands.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi all,
So I am looking at a putting a A45 engine into my A250 as a project but not sure if it’s possible. So my question is, if it is possible, what will I need to be swapping over? Will the 250 need any modifications to the engine bay/chassis to accommodate the 45s engine? If it’s going to cost a fortune I’ll probably have to look at upgrading to the A45 which will cost me around 7k plus my car as it stands.
Thanks in advance
If the upgrade is just £7k i would just upgrade to the A45. Why have the go but not the badge to go with it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the upgrade is just £7k i would just upgrade to the A45. Why have the go but not the badge to go with it.
I can get a low mileage engine for £2500. Do most of the work myself and still have money in the bank. My A250 is absolutely mint and I know it’s history. I’d be taking a chance on a unknown A45... I do see your point though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Its not a old school mechanical engine where a swap would be simple, think of the engine control management and all the electronics associated with it. The car/engine/gearbox are often coded in modern cars to work together. Then you woud also need a suitable gearbox, fuelling system etc. Still wont run like an A45 without the 4matic+ system.

That engine is cheap though!

·
Registered
4 Posts
As above from Sixman. Not to mention the engine in the A45S is mounted 180 degrees compared to the 250 even the A35. The 250 gearbox will only take 400nm torque so you will have serious issues power matching etc.. just go for the 7k upgrade!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As above from Sixman. Not to mention the engine in the A45S is mounted 180 degrees compared to the 250 even the A35. The 250 gearbox will only take 400nm torque so you will have serious issues power matching etc.. just go for the 7k upgrade!
I think I’ll just upgrade then. I did a bit more research and it’s definitely worth spending on the A45. My original question has in a roundabout way been answered. If it was a simple as a engine and a few other bits I would have considered but it’s clearly not. I better start looking for a A45 then 😁

1 - 6 of 6 Posts