Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I can't believe power and torque won't increase, as I am sure price will.

·
Registered
A45S, BMW X7 M50i
63 Posts
It's a bit of a head-scratcher. Moar powa? The current A45S already looks stylistically very current to the just-announced new C-Klasse. Are they seriously going to change the LED lights and put some more power in there, courtesy of a little electric engine? Just to outdo Audi? Taillights will obviously take some cues from the Audi A4 like ones in the new C-Klasse and maybe they change the eye shape to be a little more C-Klasse as well? A very mild facelift.

·
Super Moderator
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the A45s FL is little changed there is no incentive to buy it for us, so I am guessing there will almost certainly be a power hike to 450hp which the electric turbo engine produces in the new C-Class without the electric engine.

Reactions: steve_3939

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Yep. And the iPad centre instrument panel.
That would require a major redevelopment of the dash, e.g. repositioning of the air vents, etc. Do you think that's likely for a FL?

·
Registered
A45S, BMW X7 M50i
63 Posts
That would require a major redevelopment of the dash, e.g. repositioning of the air vents, etc. Do you think that's likely for a FL?
It's a very modular platform, but you are right, seems like a lot for FL. More likely in the one after.

So then new light signatures and that little electric turbo for 3.5 secs to 62mph? Just to punch VAG in the eye for their recent Golf R and RS3 0-100kph cheekiness!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Whether it's a new gen or a fl, no power increase is unacceptable in a performance car, which is why I would never opt for the new RS3 even if I liked everything else about it. Same goes for the FL A45s if it's still 421ps. I'd rather keep my (tuned by that time) A45s until the new gen arrives in another 3-4 years, and if still no power increase, next please. I don't mind waiting anyway, as I plan to keep the car for as long as it remains reliable and free from expensive repairs.

Other than that, I'm not ready for a hybrid system. I've said it before, downsizing sucks. You want power, go big or go home. The A45s would be so d amn hot in a 450ps V6. Think of the potential too, let alone the exhaust sound. But I wouldn't mind it getting another turbo upgrade or other engine tweaks if we're limited to a 4 banger. Just please, no more batteries!

·
Super Moderator
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Does any body know when the FL A45s will be available??
Most of us wouldn't have had our A45s' for even three years if the FL turns up next year. It'll have to pull a rabbit out of the hat, in terms of greater power and an even better AWD system where 100% of the power can go to the rear wheels easily, if MB are looking to existing customers to switch to a new car.

Reactions: Matt Jackson

·
Registered
309 Posts
Powering the new C43 is the electrified turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder M139l engine. ( I stands for longitudinal layout ) It makes 402 horsepower (300 kilowatts) and 369 pound-feet (500 Newton-meters) of torque, although a boost function increases horsepower by 13. The four-cylinder has a 48-volt mild-hybrid system.
So this is based on the A45 & not the “S” version.
I doubt the A45S FL will get this “Turbo Electrified” upgrade. Interesting to see anyway.
Cheers mate!

·
Super Moderator
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Powering the new C43 is the electrified turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder M139l engine. ( I stands for longitudinal layout ) It makes 402 horsepower (300 kilowatts) and 369 pound-feet (500 Newton-meters) of torque, although a boost function increases horsepower by 13. The four-cylinder has a 48-volt mild-hybrid system.
So this is based on the A45 & not the “S” version.
I doubt the A45S FL will get this “Turbo Electrified” upgrade. Interesting to see anyway.
Cheers mate!
Long time since we heard from you.

I believe you are entirely correct. The hybrid set up in the new C-Classes takes up a lot of space to then to transfer across to a transverse engine set up is going be very expensive in terms of the R&D to do so. Although I look forward to being wrong.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Long time since we heard from you.

I believe you are entirely correct. The hybrid set up in the new C-Classes takes up a lot of space to then to transfer across to a transverse engine set up is going be very expensive in terms of the R&D to do so. Although I look forward to being wrong.
Yes indeed after 2 years of “On” “Off” lockdown. Finally we are more settled now & back to normality slowly but surely.
I have read somewhere that the next gen A class / W178 will be based on MMA / Merc Modular Architecture platform which will be electrification primary & ICE secondary. This will also be the last platform to support ICEs. W178 should arrive sometime in 2024 or 2025. Next gen A45S will only see the day light in either 2025 or 2026.
Merc will not invest heavily on a model that is towards the end of its shelf life. W178 facelift will be purely cosmetic.
Cheers mate!

·
Super Moderator
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes indeed after 2 years of “On” “Off” lockdown. Finally we are more settled now & back to normality slowly but surely.
I have read somewhere that the next gen A class / W178 will be based on MMA / Merc Modular Architecture platform which will be electrification primary & ICE secondary. This will also be the last platform to support ICEs. W178 should arrive sometime in 2024 or 2025. Next gen A45S will only see the day light in either 2025 or 2026.
Merc will not invest heavily on a model that is towards the end of its shelf life. W178 facelift will be purely cosmetic.
Cheers mate!
3-4 years away. MB like other manufacturers are being forced to go electric so the all electric model is inevitable.

·
Registered
2021 AMG A45 S Plus, Sun Yellow, DTUK 470 PS, Akrapovic Evolution in Ti
224 Posts
Interesting that Autocar are claiming that the M139 going into the new W206 C63 makes 470PS (with another 200PS from the electric motor). That would do nicely in the facelift A!

"Mercedes has confirmed that the petrol unit has been tuned to give 470bhp in its own right for the new C63"

·
Super Moderator
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Agreed! That would make me count my pennies and consider the FL A45s.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts