Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Just an update on the future of A class hatchback. There will be mainly 3 mainstream categories.
1/ Entry luxury level - A class & B class.
2/ Core luxury level - C & E class.
3/ Top end luxury level - S class, G class, GLS, AMG, Maybach & any limited edition models & exclusive collaboration models.
An ultra low volume catergory has also been added called Mythos.
This is for the most dedicated enthusiasts & collectors of M Benz which will sit on top of Maybach brand.

There are now 7 models under Entry luxury level category namely - A class hatchback, sedan, CLA, Shooting brake, B class, GLA & GLB.
They will reduce it to 4 models when they launch the MMA platform primary for EV, adaptable for plug-in & ICE secondary. Next generation of 4 cylinders engines will be jointly built with Geely in China in 2024. They will also develop PHEV systems in China.
It will be launched in 2024 & the 1st model to use this platform will be the 3rd gen / C119 CLA. Most likely the sedan, B class & hatch back will get the chopped. Sedan will merge with the CLA as one model.

After this year they will pullout the sedan from the US being Merc 2nd largest market in the world after China which only leaves the CLA to soldier on. They don’t sell hatch back there.
Merc is not confirming exactly which 3 models it will drop.
My guess is the sedan will disappear & so is the B class which is not selling well.
The 3rd model facing the chop will either be the hatchback or the Shooting brake.

·
Super Moderator
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks for the update.

The new MB ceo does not inspire me with confidence that he knows what he is doing. He wants to chop the big volume feeder models yet retain output numbers. He's as I've said before a have cake and eat it type of guy and they usually fail. But cause unnecessary commercial damage along the way, before they get sacked.

Reactions: Turbo Ed

·
Super Moderator
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Going to be interesting to see the electric assist turbo packaged in the A45.
THAT is going to be crowded !! :)
They could increase the power bulges on the bonnet 😁

• Haha
Reactions: wizard

·
Super Moderator
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Note the power output in the C63.

Wheel Vehicle Car Tire Hood

Reactions: steve_3939

·
Super Moderator
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I hadn't checked back to the article but @nn7man had spotted this in Autocar and at least Whatcar hasn't seen anything different.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts