Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My A45 is in for it's first service next week and I believe from the posts on here there is a gearbox software upgrade (DCT)
Has anyone had the software upgrade and if so which MB dealership please, this will give me some ammo when I stroll in and ask for the software upgrade

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
there have been 2 ECU and TCU updates in the last 12 months
a lot of us have them both, the latest TCU is night and day it makes so much difference

·
Registered
548 Posts
Have had various installed over the time of my ownership and they have to run ECU and TCU updates as part of the service essentially as its warranty work. If I was you just ask them to check for updates available and apply these and further ask for the print outs where you can see what is available and what has been applied / installed.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
As you may of read, I had my A Service recently and had around 40 odd software updates and the DCT update done at Milton Keynes.
You shouldn't need to ask for them as I'm sure they'd be carried out anyway but it doesn't hurt to ask. I just said I wasn't impressed with the gear changing of the A45 and I knew there was a DCT update as other members had had it.

I was obviously an August 2014 build and thought the DCT wasn't 'that bad' but the latest update is fantastic, it is definitely noticeable in 'M' mode - not so much in 'S' which is what I drove home in.

I also asked for a print out of the updates 'for my records' - they were more than happy to supply these too.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
I was TOLD by a head mech at my dealer that it is not always policy to add the software updates at Service.
make sure you ask for them every time and throw in the comment that it is clunky and slow, they will do it for you then and you will see a definite difference

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
JB-A45 said:
I was TOLD by a head mech at my dealer that it is not always policy to add the software updates at Service.
make sure you ask for them every time and throw in the comment that it is clunky and slow, they will do it for you then and you will see a definite difference
That surprises me as I was told they do updates as a matter of course at services.

Maybe they said what I wanted to hear but it shows it's best to ask and as you say, make out you're not happy with the gearbox like most seem to.

One thing I have found with the update, it hasn't remedied the 'clunking' when changing down from 2nd - 1st. It's only when the software takes over and shifts down for you but it's still there.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
renny said:
JB-A45 said:
That surprises me as I was told they do updates as a matter of course at services.

Maybe they said what I wanted to hear but it shows it's best to ask and as you say, make out you're not happy with the gearbox like most seem to.

One thing I have found with the update, it hasn't remedied the 'clunking' when changing down from 2nd - 1st. It's only when the software takes over and shifts down for you but it's still there.
think its a time issue as can take a couple of hours of ramp time I wasled to believe and you know what a dealer is like

tbh ive never really had the "clunk" and itsnot noticeable at all now with the upgrades

·
Registered
237 Posts
When I had my TCU update last year, it took several hours as the transmission had to be below a certain temperature, so the workshop had to wait for the system to cool down.
This may be why there is reluctance to do this unless you have a "problem"
with the gearbox.

Edited by: Butty

·
Registered
548 Posts
The clunky noise was an issue on my car but after the TCU and ECU update its gone now. I will have to drive it a bit more as it was only this week but seems its gone which is well appreciated :)

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Butty said:
When I had my TCU update last year, it took several hours as the transmission had to be below a certain temperature, so the workshop had to wait for the system to cool down.
with the gearbox.

My dealer told me they would probably need the car for most of the day, if it required sw updates. Not sure why they. It took my mapper about 10mins to blow a whole new map on it!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Because they don't have an unlimited amount of Xentry systems available, they are needed for other customers / cars as well. The process also includes a complete short test, documentation and printouts... Also complete SCN recoding of the car.So no, it is not done with JUST a reflash... especially since after running the newest TCU update you need to relearn the complete unit & check the transmission oil level (both can only be done at 2 different oil temperature ranges).

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
RENNtech said:
Because they don't have an unlimited amount of Xentry systems available, they are needed for other customers / cars as well. The process also includes a complete short test, documentation and printouts... Also complete SCN recoding of the car.So no, it is not done with JUST a reflash... especially since after running the newest TCU update you need to relearn the complete unit & check the transmission oil level (both can only be done at 2 different oil temperature ranges).
theres your answer right there lol

ASK or you wont always get!!!

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Shaun said:
Butty said:
with the gearbox.

My dealer told me they would probably need the car for most of the day, if it required sw updates. Not sure why they. It took my mapper about 10mins to blow a whole new map on it!
10 mins!!! you are joking right??

both times took around an hour to do mine and others when ive seen done?

you sure he actually flashed it and your not now running on S2 Placebo???

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Lukas,Ahh.. that makes sense now.

JB-A45,
Not joking mate, although I'm sure it was actually quicker than that. I stood and watched the progress bar in the programming software, as it was writing to the ECU. Pretty much the same process as I've witnessed on other ECU programming.

Unless the dyno has a placebo mode, I doubt it has the "S2 Placebo" conversion. I'll find out when it goes down the drag strip. lol

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Shaun said:
Lukas,Ahh.. that makes sense now.

JB-A45,
Not joking mate, although I'm sure it was actually quicker than that. I stood and watched the progress bar in the programming software, as it was writing to the ECU. Pretty much the same process as I've witnessed on other ECU programming.

Unless the dyno has a placebo mode, I doubt it has the "S2 Placebo" conversion. I'll find out when it goes down the drag strip. lol
that's mad lol, like I said ive witnessed a few 45 ECU tunes now and the full process in all cases has taken at minimum an hour

·
Registered
43 Posts
I dropped my Car in for its 1st service Yesterday at 8am. The ECU and TCU I was told are getting done anyway when I enquired about it. However, yesterday being the word.There was some problem coding it. and they mentioned 4x4 system and a new part was being ordered in for this morning. Heard nothing until around 3pm earlier today the mercedes star system (computer I'm guessing) is still not coding it. So can i keep courtesy car until tomorrow. I am starting to think it is knackered. They are communicating to Germany to have someone specially code it.
Anyone had this??
He told me he's never seen it before on an A45 but it has happened on other models before.
I don't hold much hope in getting it back tomorrow but we will see.
Also the 2015 B class I'm stuck with atm, the ambient lighting feature in the dark is wicked,, gutted its not on the A class it looks ace. If you haven't seen it before google it, its very effective. if you like such things.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have a January 2015 model, got it March 2015 and was at the dealer today for some rattles. Told them to check for TCU updates and after they supposedly checked, they told me that there was no update. That kinda contradicts what others here have said. Strange....

·
Registered
492 Posts
fatalus said:
I have a January 2015 model, got it March 2015 and was at the dealer today for some rattles. Told them to check for TCU updates and after they supposedly checked, they told me that there was no update. That kinda contradicts what others here have said. Strange....
I think you are running the latest version. Could be wrong though. Mine should be with me any day now (65 plate but notFL) but is a June built car. When I gave them what I thought was the latest software update numbers (from a post on here) they told me mine had superseded that update. I'm sure the numbers I gave them was from a late 14 but could be wrong.Edited by: RS6BRIT

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
fatalus said:
Last TCU update was around March so you will be on the latest version. I had mine done then and I was in the dealer this week and been nothing since then.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Maybe that's why I am perfectly happy with the gearbox that all use to complain about! ;-)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts