Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
I think the different updates along the way could be be put into two boxes: positive and negative updates. Some will (maybe) be an improvement and others will be either worse or no different. My car was June 2014 build i think (picked up end july 14) and ive yet to have a tcu update due to me not wanting any. My car shifts perfectly and is no slower off the mark than any other updated car. Those who claim to be much quicker since the update either had really poor software off the shelf or are enjoying the placebo effect. Nobody has physical evidence of improvement, only improvement in feel / sound of shift so it's all a bit subjective. Don't forget also, your update may simply be a reset of adaptations so maybe if you change the way you drive you'll see no or more (depending in what you change to) degradation of shift feel.

Eddie

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have had a couple of TCU updates (build Nov 13). Each one has made an improvement in shift patterns and getting rid of downshift clunks. However, within 2 weeks after an update/reset the main issue I have always had, that is clutch slipping take up, particulalry when cold and on a hill, is down right dangerous. Seems then the learning reset fixes the clutch issue and then eventualy comes come back. In again next week for 3 day drivers seat repair!! Will get TCU reset done yet again. Anyone knwo how to do it yourself?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Eyelevel said:
I have had a couple of TCU updates (build Nov 13). Each one has made an improvement in shift patterns and getting rid of downshift clunks. However, within 2 weeks after an update/reset the main issue I have always had, that is clutch slipping take up, particulalry when cold and on a hill, is down right dangerous. Seems then the learning reset fixes the clutch issue and then eventualy comes come back. In again next week for 3 day drivers seat repair!! Will get TCU reset done yet again. Anyone knwo how to do it yourself?
Fully agree with what you're saying. The gearbox in the A45 is one of the worst I've driven. Years back when DSG first came out I had it in an A3 and it was horrendous, the A45 is no better. The delay when pulling out of junctions is dangerous, as you've said it feels like the clutch is slipping.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Had my April '14 build TCU updated to latest in June. Very big improvement overall, and thought I was also finally rid of the annoying/dangerous clutch takeup (slipping) problem. It has happened once in a minor way since then, but previously it was at least once per month with engine at 3000+ rpm and no clutch takeup. As some have already said, it seems to be related to temperature, as it was a very cold winter morning in July when I had that sole recurrence. It is now springtime with warmer mornings, and (hopefully) all good.

·
Registered
431 Posts
So new software update or not? Very confusing.I might doa drive tomorrow to baseline, do a reset, note the difference then book in for the update next week. My software is 10-12months old, had an update after my gearboxplayed up in 4th. Good since but massive delay on launching the car.
Anyway to do a proper scientific comparison? I wonder if my ODBII logger could record accelerator position versus acceleration over time. Will play tomorrow...

·
Registered
237 Posts
I get it in S mode every morning.I try and creep out of the road so as not wake the neighbours at 5am but the clutch slips and I have to use some revs just to roll along.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
ecain63 said:
I think the different updates along the way could be be put into two boxes: positive and negative updates. Some will (maybe) be an improvement and others will be either worse or no different. My car was June 2014 build i think (picked up end july 14) and ive yet to have a tcu update due to me not wanting any. My car shifts perfectly and is no slower off the mark than any other updated car. Those who claim to be much quicker since the update either had really poor software off the shelf or are enjoying the placebo effect. Nobody has physical evidence of improvement, only improvement in feel / sound of shift so it's all a bit subjective. Don't forget also, your update may simply be a reset of adaptations so maybe if you change the way you drive you'll see no or more (depending in what you change to) degradation of shift feel.

Eddie
Eddie I can assure you that mine is no placebo effect, I noticed it the first time I had it in manual - had totally forgotten I'd had the update.

It could well be that different things have been reset and a regular reset of the TCU as Jamie described in another thread may well be the answer.

What I will say is that most of the time mine is driven like I have Miss Daisy in the back, I only work a short distance from home so the car is barely warm when I get there - maybe the car learns and settings are relaxed to my way of driving. The reset / update has obviously overridden this - I'll update after a couple of weeks with Miss Daisy!

·
Registered
227 Posts
renny said:
Those that have experienced the 'clutch slip' symptoms. 
What mode have you experienced it in?

'C' mode annoys me for this but I've never had issues in 'M'.
I normally have it in S most the time. In the mornings when I reverse out my drive and then engage D to pull away the take up is laughable. Had the first service last Friday and thought the updates would make a difference , but alas it's just as bad.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I drive mine in M and Sport Handling mode 50% of the time and M and TC on another 47%. C gets used, say, 1% and sometimes, after Race Start, I'll keep it on S - down the 1/4 mile or whatever. No gearbox issues at all apart from slow initial uptake. I once parked on my driveway which is on a slight incline and never had my park brake on but had it in P - it clunked on restart as the gears were already loaded from the small roll back. That's been the one and only clunk. I got mine in March 2015 so I guess the software is up to date - will wait to service in 4500 miles to see what dealer says. I will be asking them about the software. I think the A45s 'box is way better than the C63's but not as good as some of the Audi DSG 'boxes in terms of speed. On the whole, pretty happy with it (yup - apart from initial take up...too slow)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just had my first service yesterday from Merc ABZ and asked for all updates. They provided me with print outs showing the TCU, ECU and AWD systems were updated. Coding time for the TCU was estimated 12 mins prior to it being carried out...doesn't say how long it actually took but the car was serviced within 5 hours.
Last week I performed the TCU reset as stated on another thread and noticed an improvement in the throttle response. After the updates, the throttle does feel sharper again but the biggestimprovement is the gear change which is definitely faster (and quieter) in C, S and M. The downshiftis also a lot smoother.My car is a Sept 14 build.

·
Registered
227 Posts
nico1983 said:
I just had my first service yesterday from Merc ABZ and asked for all updates.  They provided me with print outs showing the TCU, ECU and AWD systems were updated.  Coding time for the TCU was estimated 12 mins prior to it being carried out...doesn't say how long it actually took but the car was serviced within 5 hours.  
Last week I performed the TCU reset as stated on another thread and noticed an improvement in the throttle response.   After the updates, the throttle does feel sharper again but the biggest improvement is the gear change which is definitely faster (and quieter) in C, S and M.  The downshift is also a lot smoother.  My car is a Sept 14 build.
Think I'll be paying them a visit again Nick as I'm not 100% that they actually carried out all the updates

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
renny said:
As you may of read, I had my A Service recently and had around 40 odd software updates and the DCT update done at Milton Keynes.
You shouldn't need to ask for them as I'm sure they'd be carried out anyway but it doesn't hurt to ask. I just said I wasn't impressed with the gear changing of the A45 and I knew there was a DCT update as other members had had it.

I was obviously an August 2014 build and thought the DCT wasn't 'that bad' but the latest update is fantastic, it is definitely noticeable in 'M' mode - not so much in 'S' which is what I drove home in.

I also asked for a print out of the updates 'for my records' - they were more than happy to supply these too.

renny

Had my A45 in today for its first service and updates, asked them to def do the gearbox and I have all the print outs BUT they mean nothing to me
Diagnosis version DCT5, software version 14/45 00, hardware version 11/21 00
And loads of other 4 digit numbers ranging from 3625 to 4958 are these the same as yours
thanks for any help

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
StuA45AMG said:
renny said:
As you may of read, I had my A Service recently and had around 40 odd software updates and the DCT update done at Milton Keynes.
You shouldn't need to ask for them as I'm sure they'd be carried out anyway but it doesn't hurt to ask. I just said I wasn't impressed with the gear changing of the A45 and I knew there was a DCT update as other members had had it.

I was obviously an August 2014 build and thought the DCT wasn't 'that bad' but the latest update is fantastic, it is definitely noticeable in 'M' mode - not so much in 'S' which is what I drove home in.

I also asked for a print out of the updates 'for my records' - they were more than happy to supply these too.

renny

Had my A45 in today for its first service and updates, asked them to def do the gearbox and I have all the print outs BUT they mean nothing to me
And loads of other 4 digit numbers ranging from 3625 to 4958 are these the same as yours
thanks for any help
Hi Stu,

Just checked my printout and the DCT update is the same as yours and the software updates are very similar.

Do you notice an improvement?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
renny said:
StuA45AMG said:
renny said:

renny

thanks for any help
Hi Stu,

Just checked my printout and the DCT update is the same as yours and the software updates are very similar.

Do you notice an improvement?
Thanks renny, it was only a short drive home and now it is back in the garage until my next day off, so I did not get to notice any improvement, but my carbon rear diffuser is due this week so hopefully I will be on my way to MSL to get it installed along with the Pedalbox throttle response kit I have purchasedand I will be able to check it out properly

21 - 37 of 37 Posts