Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Vendor
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We work closely with Powerflex and have done for a number of years including in our background in race cars. For those who don't know much about the company, they are based in the UK and being Europe's leading manufacturer in performance bushes, possibly even in the world, they know there stuff!

Powerflex have very kindly sent over a set of bushes for us to test and to get some feedback on. We thought it might be good to get some real world feedback from a forum member who we would like to install, test, give a short review along with some photos.

A little about the engine bushes;

Powerflex has created a very simple but effective bush that inserts into the void of the engine mount bush currently installed. There are 2, one at the top and one at the bottom. The idea of bushes in general is to allow movement and flex with the engine under load. The downside of engine movement is weight (and hundreds of Kilo's at that) transferring front to back, this in itself can increase wheel spin during fast acceleration and lurching between gear changes from the front axle lifting, create a vagueness during fast cornering and harm general road grip. The Powerflex bush insert will drastically reduce the engine move by filling the void in the rubber bush and doing so will help in the area's mentioned. For a simple part, the outcome is quite impressive.

The price for both these bushes would come to £50 normally. We are offering for 1 forum member to purchase the bushes from us and when the review with photos has been posted up we will give a complete refund. The only terms are that the A45 owner must be able to install and review the bushes within 2 weeks. We would prefer a UK A45 owner to minimise delays with reduce cost with shipping etc.

We aren't looking for a Jeremy Clarkson style review, just a handful of photos and a paragraph or 2 about your experience. If you may be interested, please respond to this thread.

Currently we are looking for an A45 owner, although we are predicting this kit will also fit on the A250 and A200 petrol engines.

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
haven't got an A45 but after reading this I went ahead and ordered a set for my A200 amg sport as I'm hoping it will do as you say especially in regards to the lurching between gear changes , currently the car is running with a modest Quantum remap estimated 175bhp, k&n filter, DV+diverter valve to retain boost between gear changes and a scorpion non res cat back exhaust . also fitted a dtuk pedal box for increased throttle response. definite tendency to wheel spin 1st , 2nd and sometimes 3rd under hard acceleration so any thing to get more grip on the road would be a help.
not looking for a refund on this but just thought I would say that I will post on how it affects the handling of my own car for anyone out there interested.

·
Vendor
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good bit of feedback. These bush inserts will for sure stiffen the engine mounts up quite a considerable amount and doing so will make a decent improvement to putting the power down. These A/CLA cars are very front wheel biased even in the 4wd systems, keeping the weight transfer to a minimum on acceleration is key to good launches.

·
Vendor
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do they transfer a lot of vibration into the cabin? I have had this in the past on a K20.
Any sort of upgraded bushing that is not the factory softer rubber type will always transfer more vibration through the cabin. The Purple series tend to be a bit softer and kinder but will still be a little firmer. Once bedded in, they tend to be quite subtle however and the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. Unfortunately it is difficult to make changes to a car without effecting something else in some shape or form.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Sure, more for the track day guys maybe. I know they make a huge difference but I could not tolerate the extra rattles now in my old age of 41.

·
Vendor
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sure, more for the track day guys maybe. I know they make a huge difference but I could not tolerate the extra rattles now in my old age of 41.
I would say it certainly would be aimed more at those who are looking for ultimate performance and don't mind loosing some comfort.

·
Super Moderator
2,019 Posts
I would say it certainly would be aimed more at those who are looking for ultimate performance and don't mind loosing some comfort.
any news on front mud flaps for the A45s please? Have tried contacting you but no joy.
I would be willing to bring to car to you so you can take measurements as i am quite often in the Christchurch area.

·
Vendor
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
any news on front mud flaps for the A45s please? Have tried contacting you but no joy.
I would be willing to bring to car to you so you can take measurements as i am quite often in the Christchurch area.
Hey Steve,

We have a list of customers to get in contact with when the new W177 guards are ready, your name is down among them :)

We had planned to produce these guards earlier this year but have been absolutely flat out with quite a few developments as well as ourselves producing quite a lot of parts for other companies. We do have this as the next thing we are working on, I can't say exactly when these will be ready but it won't be too long now as plans are being put in motion.

A post will be put out when these are available and if we do need a local car to trial out on, we will keep you in mind. Appreciate you offering, we likely will be in touch soon :)

P.S, stunning A45!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Think I’m going to go for a set of these. I’ve had them before and they transformed the gear change.

·
Vendor
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Think I’m going to go for a set of these. I’ve had them before and they transformed the gear change.
They do make a big difference, although they will transmit a little more NVH through the cabin, it's relatively minor once settled. Powerflex offer a road version (red) and also a black version (track).

·
Vendor
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I presume it’s ok just to fit the top mount only? Have done this in the past on Hondas.
These are available for both top and bottom, it's generally recommended to install as a pair to ensure equal wear on components (or as best as possible). If you installed just the top, the original lower may wear quicker as is effectively the weakest link at that point. For the relatively small extra in price (£25), it's worth doing both for maximum effect and keeping the wear rates the same.

·
Registered
86 Posts
It’s not the cost, I was hoping to do the top mount myself without the hassle if it going into the garage again for the bottom one.

·
Vendor
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It’s not the cost, I was hoping to do the top mount myself without the hassle if it going into the garage again for the bottom one.
The underside ideally you would need the car in the air but it is accessible on car ramps/jacks. I personally would suggest getting both done at the same time but it's up to the owner at the end of the day :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
The underside ideally you would need the car in the air but it is accessible on car ramps/jacks. I personally would suggest getting both done at the same time but it's up to the owner at the end of the day :)
Thinking of buying these inserts, can I install them without supporting the engine with a jack? Looking at Powerflex install instructions they weren't clear about that

1 - 17 of 17 Posts