Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

A45s issues

18K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  Turbo Ed 
#1 ·
Morning all
Had the car for 5 months now and have to say slightly disappointed with it. The amount of error messages that keep coming up!! From service due at 800 miles,front camera not working,check coolant level etc.
Also the passenger seatbelt keeps knocking between the seat and c pillar! And is it just me coz haven’t had a Merc before but I keep beating reverse gear!! as in drive pass my house stop put in reverse for a quick get out of the main road and traffic for the car just to rev coz it’s in neutral. That will do for now! Sorry for the rant just would be nice to know if anyone else having little issues or does it get worse/better from here? Cheers

#2 ·
I had the service due only once, also coolant level but stopped with a very small top up.
the seat belt knocking has been voiced many times, the top part of the seat nearest to pillar has a magnet in it so the chrome buckle attaches to it to stop knocking.

#3 ·
I think you'll find the service due date is correct on MMe but may need a dealer reset on your car at the same time as any camera defect is rectified. The rest as @steve_3939 says are easy to "fix".

All modern cars are so full of tech it's unfortunately likely they will not be perfect from the factory. But comparing my MB to my wife's Audi A3 or my daughter's Mini or my other kids cars I think it's no worse.

#12 ·
Sorry to hear this. Unfortunately I share your pain. My A45S Plus has 2500 km on the clock from new and it has been in in the workshop a total of 19 days in that time;
1. Air con failed at 500km. A couple faulty O-Rings near the compressor. Replaced.
2. Logo puddle light on bottom of door card (driver) kept falling out. Got crushed eventually by door closing. Replaced under warranty at about 750km
3. B-Pillars removed and dampening put in 4 times to remediate buzz/squeaks/rattles. Still has not rectified the issue. Multiple creaks and rattles continue on a day to day basis. Annoying as he77,
4. 4Matic, ABS, Brake Assist, + other error messages appeared at 2000km. Replaced wheel speed sensor in both front and rear driver side wheels hubs to try to rectify the issue. Didn’t work. Eventually was diagnosed as a burned/cracked wire somewhere under the cowling of the driver’s steering column. Wire replaced, error messages went away.
5. Serious rattling coming from the rear hatch plastic cover against the window. Removed the plastic, placed foam tape everywhere. Rattle came back after about 3 weeks.
6. Coolant warning light on at approx 800km. Both coolant reservoirs full. Supposedly a “known issue”. They replaced the coolant reservoir under warranty just to be safe.
7. 400km the rear parking sensor on driver’s side was constantly malfunctioning and ended up having to be replaced. It was causing false warnings + brake assist to slam on when nothing was around (dangerous and alarming when you are reversing)

I think the engine is GREAT. The interior LOOKS nice. But overall build quality is CRAP compared to the expensive cars I have previously owned. I put this down to the fact that at the production level, it is essentially a basic A Class for many of the components and of course this is of far lower quality than that of an E or S class (understandable but still not appreciated at this price point).

#13 ·
Sorry to hear this. Unfortunately I share your pain. My A45S Plus has 2500 km on the clock from new and it has been in in the workshop a total of 19 days in that time;
1. Air con failed at 500km. A couple faulty O-Rings near the compressor. Replaced.
2. Logo puddle light on bottom of door card (driver) kept falling out. Got crushed eventually by door closing. Replaced under warranty at about 750km
3. B-Pillars removed and dampening put in 4 times to remediate buzz/squeaks/rattles. Still has not rectified the issue. Multiple creaks and rattles continue on a day to day basis. Annoying as he77,
4. 4Matic, ABS, Brake Assist, + other error messages appeared at 2000km. Replaced wheel speed sensor in both front and rear driver side wheels hubs to try to rectify the issue. Didn’t work. Eventually was diagnosed as a burned/cracked wire somewhere under the cowling of the driver’s steering column. Wire replaced, error messages went away.
5. Serious rattling coming from the rear hatch plastic cover against the window. Removed the plastic, placed foam tape everywhere. Rattle came back after about 3 weeks.
6. Coolant warning light on at approx 800km. Both coolant reservoirs full. Supposedly a “known issue”. They replaced the coolant reservoir under warranty just to be safe.
7. 400km the rear parking sensor on driver’s side was constantly malfunctioning and ended up having to be replaced. It was causing false warnings + brake assist to slam on when nothing was around (dangerous and alarming when you are reversing)

I think the engine is GREAT. The interior LOOKS nice. But overall build quality is CRAP compared to the expensive cars I have previously owned. I put this down to the fact that at the production level, it is essentially a basic A Class for many of the components and of course this is of far lower quality than that of an E or S class (understandable but still not appreciated at this price point).
Could it be its because it is the first year of production? Most all-new cars suffer from first year production problems. Unless it is a Lexus, no issues whatsoever

#14 ·
I concur on the poor build quality. A few of our cars here in Malaysia have door alignment issues and the creaks are a known thing. But the other little gremlins are typically caused by sensor faults. Hopefully overtime with information sharing, owners will be aware of the issues when the error messages come up and we will know what is needed to be fixed on our cars (e.g. low coolant warning) and Mercedes will come up with revised part numbers that addresses the issues. I think it's quite common to have manufacturers discontinue some part numbers to be replaced by newer ones which addresses earlier issues.

#15 ·
You guys in the Far East seem to have received something of a bad deal from MB. I am superstitious to say so but we seem to have been better served in Europe, fingers crossed.

Reactions: AMGSingapore
#17 ·
Well it's hot and humid here and my guess is our cars will experience more reliability issues vs more moderate climate. But the A45s we get here roll off the same Hungary plant as well, which in my opinion is not on the mark when it comes to build quality QC compared to more established Mercedes plants.

#25 ·
Hi All wonder if you can help got a 2023 A45s+ and last few days been getting a suspension malfunction don't exceed 50 message so plugged in a diagnostic machine and it send front left level sensor fault but when I was bouncing the car up and down to check the suspension all as it should be with the readings so I cleared the stored fault thinking it could just be a glitch could this be a merchiaical issue and the ride is fine?

#27 ·
I have a 2023 72 pre face-lift @ 2600 miles,UK.

My issues so far.
Transmission failure, happened once. No fault found.
Engine light, faulty sensor, replaced.
Squeeky brakes, pads replaced.

No mods. I changed the oil + filter at 1k miles and did a very gentle run in. Other than the above. Loving it. Haven't noticed the seat belt rattle. Fingers crossed. Utterly amazing car.

#28 ·
I have a 2023 72 pre face-lift @ 2600 miles,UK.

My issues so far.
Transmission failure, happened once. No fault found.
Engine light, faulty sensor, replaced.
Squeeky brakes, pads replaced.

No mods. I changed the oil + filter at 1k miles and did a very gentle run in. Other than the above. Loving it. Haven't noticed the seat belt rattle. Fingers crossed. Utterly amazing car.
Mine’s a 20 plate and very little to complain about. I have posted about the driver’s seat scuffing which I will get fixed in a couple of weeks time as a GW gesture.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.