Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a question about brake assist and AMG dynamic mode.
I noticed the brake assist tended to trigger too quickly when overtaking a little tight.
(despite being configured in delayed mode)
It can be deactivated but it reactivates each time the engine is started

Do driving modes affect its sensitivity?
Difficult to test in real life and I can't find any precise information on the subject If not, is it possible to turn it off completely?

If anyone has more specific information on the subject, I'm all ears. Since this car is designed for racing, I would be surprised if it is not possible to do something about this problem.

Thank you in advance for your answer
King regards,
Adeline.

·
Administrator
5,159 Posts
I noticed the brake assist tended to trigger too quickly when overtaking a little tight.
(despite being configured in delayed mode)
Do you mean Lane Keeping Assist, rather than Brake Assist?

If you mean Brake Assist, can you give us an example where it is braking for you?

Do driving modes affect its sensitivity?
If you mean Lane Keeping Assist, yes, if you drive in S instead of C for example, it will not be as reactive and bother you much less.

·
Registered
564 Posts
She means the active brake assist, which does more than just brake if you get too close behind another vehicle; you get collision warning, seatbelts tighten (pretty firmly I might add) and the car brakes automatically, pretty hard, albeit instantly. I don't know what happens if you don't swerve to avoid rear ending the vehicle (I have to assume it will keep slamming on the brakes and deploy the whole pre-safe sequence which includes rolling up all windows and calling for help) but if you do swerve early enough, you'll only get the collision warning, seatbelts will tighten and it will brake instantly and let you go, which I'd say is about half of the pre-safe sequence. I never found a way to deactivate it, but after a while I got used to it and just make sure to change lane before getting too close to the vehicle in front. Sometimes you can't help it though, and that thing gets a little scary your like wtf just happened. Seatbelts tighten so firmly it can actually hurt women, briefly that is, I'm not implying your gonna need to see your obgyn, but wife has complained a couple of times!

Dunno if you Brits have that feature, but it's definitely part of the whole pre-safe sequence. As I said first you get the warning, then seatbelts tighten and the car slams on the brakes.

And your right @Adeline there should be a way to deactivate it as this car is indeed more racetrack oriented than anything else, which is what most car reviewers complain about. Imagine how many times your gonna have the car go paranoid every single lap. Can't believe AMG hasn't thought this through. Just doesn't sound right. Then again, neither does dropping power after like 3 long back to back runs (say first gear to 200 kph), which isn't gonna feel nice on the track either. Seems to me they've just tried to offer a little bit of both worlds, as it's neither a racecar nor your everyday grocery getter. But if anyone has the answer on the braking thing, I'm all ears too!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I never found a way to deactivate it, but after a while I got used to it and just make sure to change lane before getting too close to the vehicle in front.
Yes, that's what I try to do, but sometimes habits take over.

But if anyone has the answer on the braking thing, I'm all ears too!
Yes, it would be nice if there was a solution.

Seatbelts tighten so firmly it can actually hurt women, briefly that is, I'm not implying your gonna need to see your obgyn, but wife has complained a couple of times!
:LOL::ROFLMAO:

·
Super Moderator
5,485 Posts
Where are you based that you can drive as though you are on a track

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yeah, i drive with ESP off. The car is actually much nicer to drive, wont brake inside front wheel when turning, lets you put power down quicker out of a turn. And no?/less? Brake assist

·
Registered
564 Posts
On the racetrack you have to gaffer tape the front M-B grille badge, that’s what another member resorted to. :)
You could go the extra mile and fit a badge sticker on top that's identical to the original, would make you look like the smartest dude on the track 😂

After some testing, I saw that completely deactivating ESP also deactivates brake assist, but ESP is useful so that's a bit of a shame.
Yeah, i drive with ESP off. The car is actually much nicer to drive, wont brake inside front wheel when turning, lets you put power down quicker out of a turn. And no?/less? Brake assist
Let's just appreciate simplicity and gaffer tape the badge. ..............................What? 🙄

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And for information, even in race mode, the BAS is not deactivated contrary to what a lot of people think, to deactivate it you have to do it manually or by completely deactivating the ESP

Putting in race mode is not enough

·
Super Moderator
5,485 Posts
I think that between driving on a track, and enjoying the car on small mountain roads when there is no one, there is room for maneuver.
Col de la Forclaz de Montmin - alpes4ever
Very picturesque. I hope you haven't been scaring the locals too much.

I note that the elevation is around 3.5K feet at it's highest point. How does the A45s engine feel at that kind of altitude.

·
Super Moderator
5,485 Posts
And for information, even in race mode, the BAS is not deactivated contrary to what a lot of people think, to deactivate it you have to do it manually or by completely deactivating the ESP

Putting in race mode is not enough
I think most of us know that MB always want to keep an eye on us in the background so the ESP keeps working at a low level. What I also thought was that the full ESP kicks back in where we drive the car in to a tail spin, for example, but I didn't see that happening during my AMG experience day. If it did the instructor countered it.

Which reminds me, that would be something you would really enjoy. The AMG experience day.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think most of us know that MB always want to keep an eye on us in the background so the ESP keeps working at a low level. What I also thought was that the full ESP kicks back in where we drive the car in to a tail spin, for example, but I didn't see that happening during my AMG experience day. If it did the instructor countered it.

Which reminds me, that would be something you would really enjoy. The AMG experience day.
yeah, i also think :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1 - 16 of 16 Posts