Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got any rattles or squeaks?

I have a rattling dash, seem to be inside and looking at the A35 category it's the knee airbag on the drivers side.

Also getting a whistling from the rear left, I'll check the door seals.

Anyone find the tyres really noisy on the motorway? I think it's the rather wide profiles...

Instead of going back and forth to the dealer rather fix it myself if anyone has managed to find the source.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi All,

1000 miles covered and had the "Coolant needs topping up" and car due "service A" appear on the driver display, However turned car off and re started and both cleared....

More annoyingly the passenger seat belt buckle hitting the side of the seat now we are being slightly more heavy right footed as on stage 2 of running the car in.

I will drop MB a call just so bits are logged.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi All,

1000 miles covered and had the "Coolant needs topping up" and car due "service A" appear on the driver display, However turned car off and re started and both cleared....

More annoyingly the passenger seat belt buckle hitting the side of the seat now we are being slightly more heavy right footed as on stage 2 of running the car in.

I will drop MB a call just so bits are logged.
there is a magnet at the side of the seat to hold the seatbelt in place.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the seat is at normal height it hits the plastic airbag trim, so I purchased some stick-on black felt and covered it up. Dulled the noise. For the magnet to work the seat has to be pretty low to the floor so the belt hits the leather area.

What Mercedes should have done is put the round stop clip for the buckle much higher on the belt so it doesn't slide down so low.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Anyone got any rattles or squeaks?

I have a rattling dash, seem to be inside and looking at the A35 category it's the knee airbag on the drivers side.

Also getting a whistling from the rear left, I'll check the door seals.

Anyone find the tyres really noisy on the motorway? I think it's the rather wide profiles...

Instead of going back and forth to the dealer rather fix it myself if anyone has managed to find the source.
get them to fix it and also the rattle is behind the dash screen, they will try everything to not take it out and look but trust me the rattles are loose cables behind the screen and are fucking annoying! are you on pzero's if so they are loud as **** on the motorway. I have an A35 and it took 4 attempts for them to finally fix my rattles and they confirmed finally its behind the screen and cables were not secured properly or space padded to stop movement

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They booked it in a month away! :( I won't bother fixing it myself then...

The tyres are Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, but the reviews for this tyre are supposed to be excellent so struggling to find out why they are so noisy. Normally have Continental Sport Contact 5 or similar.

The noise is crazy compared to the previous generation A45.

·
Registered
984 Posts
They booked it in a month away! :( I won't bother fixing it myself then...

The tyres are Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, but the reviews for this tyre are supposed to be excellent so struggling to find out why they are so noisy. Normally have Continental Sport Contact 5 or similar.

The noise is crazy compared to the previous generation A45.
Mercedes seem to have been stingy with sound insulation in the W177. I think the performance enhancements AMG have made to the A35 and most certainly the A45S suspension, i.e. removing rubber bushes and directly bolting subframes to the body have exaggerated the noise intrusion into the cabin. There were several threads in the A35 forum discussing this. Personally, my ears have become used to the noise and I don't mind it. But I do remember well being where you are right now...

·
Registered
72 Posts
i have a knocking / banging noise in the rear suspension over certain bumps. The dealer replaced the rear shocks but the noise is still there. They said to bring it back in if the noise still occurs.
Read somewhere it may be the struts. Anyone else heard this and or had this rectified?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wouldn't say it's a knocking noise, heard a loud thump but I presume it's all the stuff in the boot floor which hasn't been strapped down. Previous models had a snug polystyrene thing across the floor but this doesn't have much.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi All,

Coolant warning light came on again so I took car to the nearest MB dealer, This time the tank was virtually empty..............lots of head scratching and 45 mins of going over the car and they decided that they couldnt find any issues so they have topped it up and lets see how it goes................

HOWEVER

Their AMG Chief Technician advised the oil in the rear diff needed changing at 1500 miles and he couldnt find any record on this being carried out.........., I wasnt aware this was due....... he advised this was clearly printed on the running in sticker which was located in the front windscreen......., we went and checked and it didnt say anything about it......!!!!!

Alot of confusion and now waiting on an official reply............they have said it would be free of charge if it was required but would need to be taken back to supplying dealer....

I will update as news comes in!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi All,

Looks like our new cars are still to new for some of the dealers hence some confusion.......(i'm no mechanic!!!!)

The A45s has 2 x coolant pumps and suggestion for why some of us have experienced the coolant warning lamp coming on is because only 1 sided has been primed..........once topped up all should be ok or so i'm told... (so far so good and not seen the light again and have checked coolant levels past 2 days and all appears normal).

The rear diff....

The AMG Chief technician that advised rear diff needed oil change at 1500 miles was getting confused with any of the rear wheel drive "s" models....and the A45s its 31k miles.....

Attached is the service details for the A45s as per MB Head Office

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi All,

I hope everyone is well and stayng safe.............................

Quick update at 4000 Miles....., Just had to call out MB assist as steering wheel lost all power (no lights, no buttons working, manual gear change no working)......technician couldnt find any faults and car taken into MB............... Will update when i get the car it back....

Jdmave

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi All,

Looks like our new cars are still to new for some of the dealers hence some confusion.......(i'm no mechanic!!!!)

The A45s has 2 x coolant pumps and suggestion for why some of us have experienced the coolant warning lamp coming on is because only 1 sided has been primed..........once topped up all should be ok or so i'm told... (so far so good and not seen the light again and have checked coolant levels past 2 days and all appears normal).

The rear diff....

The AMG Chief technician that advised rear diff needed oil change at 1500 miles was getting confused with any of the rear wheel drive "s" models....and the A45s its 31k miles.....

Attached is the service details for the A45s as per MB Head Office
Is there two separate coolant containers in the car? My ‘top up engine coolant’ message came on at about 700 miles ... I took it to MB who said coolant level is fine but its a common error warning in new cars. They said to bring it back for further diagnostics if the warning message doesn’t disappear. 3000 miles now and it comes on every time I start the engine! I’ve checked the coolant and it’s still at the same level ...

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Look under the engine cover, there should be another, smaller, high level coolant bottle there.

At least there is in the A35, and there was in the W176 A45.

Be interesting to know if there is a second one on the A45s

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Well done @steve_3939 thanks for checking! (y):p

How did you miss this tread in the past :p

·
Registered
324 Posts
i don't think the one under the engine cover has a level sensor?previous a45 would loose from this one resulting in the motor feeling flat but not throwing any fault codes

1 - 20 of 25 Posts