Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

201 - 220 of 272 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 ·
Has anyone asked a Brabus UK dealer on what futures there may be on a UK install and possible price?
Yes. As with everything Brabus, this time, I need to confirm with the company. The dealer said Brabus need to fit the new tune to around ten A45s' in person at their factory first. It will then be made available in the usual way through selected MB dealers.

So my understanding, and the dealer's, is that the tune box is just like all their other boxes and will be available after the first ten are done in Germany.

·
Registered
208 Posts
For only 29 hp and 50 nm gain which you'll barely notice, it better come cheap or it could be the biggest waste of money ever spent on a mod. To each their own of course...

·
Super Moderator
4,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #203 ·
For only 29 hp and 50 nm gain which you'll barely notice, it better come cheap or it could be the biggest waste of money ever spent on a mod. To each their own of course...
Good to hear from you after a long absence.

I agree with what you say but one of the things this pandemic has taught me is that life's too short and in the UK households have saved around £150bn so far so I'll see once the tune becomes properly available.

I posted the price further up the thread €2.690,00 net. By which I believe he means gross i.e. including German VAT. Not cheap at all.

He also sent me a bunch of images which I hadn't noticed when I originally read the email on my phone. I've only looked at one of them so far.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Good to be back I guess, I kind of stayed away from forums and social media except youtube, but I did visit occasionally.

Warranty is the only thing that could've tempted me to opt for Brabus but I'm just not spending nearly €3k for such gains. Brabus claims a better 0-100 kph by .2" you know how much that is? That's pretty much the cost of having a passenger (I've done 3.74" alone and 3.95" with a passenger on the exact same spot, same temps, shell 100ron) and I really couldn't tell the difference. Maybe, just maybe it feels a tiny bit faster in the 1/4 mile as it pulls just slightly harder in the triple digits, which in no effing way is it worth nearly €3k.

On the other hand, Brabus is not the only one that comes with a warranty, Racechip offers a 2 year €10,000 warranty, unlimited mileage and they claim 490 hp and 540 nm with their GTS Black box. I dunno if it really makes such power (to be honest I find it a little hard to believe we can get close to 500 hp with a box) but even if it makes 470 or even 460 it's still a much better deal, considering it also costs €700. Which btw still ain't cheap for a box and that only tells me it's gotta be of decent quality. I'm saying that because I'm all for "the bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" and I know nothing comes for free, nothing good anyway. But on the tuning front, I also know there's nothing worse than dumping money into performance mods that you can't tell, I believe that's remembered even longer.

If you do opt for Brabus, first of all I hope it makes you happy because after all, that's the whole point right? In fact I hope I'm wrong and Brabus does feel strong above 60. So I'll be looking forward to your 1/4 as well as a few pulls, such as a 60-120mph time, if that's possible where you live. In kph it's 100-200 that shows a car's true power, or 62-125mph.

·
Super Moderator
4,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #205 ·
We’re in full lockdown in the UK so we’ll see on the other side but above 95mph is licence losing territory here.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I would be surprised if it's just a stage 1. We'd probably need over 500 hp to get those numbers and the maps I have seen don't go beyond 490 or so.
FYI
Stage 1 tune only!
Stock power is 268KWAW after tune 305KWAW/ 610Nm (378KW or 506hp at the flywheel). I have no problems at all, apart from my right foot! In fact, fuel efficiency has slightly improved after the tune with normal driving. I was really concerned about the warranty before getting the tune as we get 5yrs of factory warranty but no more concerns. For $1.6K it's really worth it, definitely worth more than an aftermarket exhaust!

A45S Dyno.jpg

·
Super Moderator
4,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #207 ·
They are impressive numbers for a stage 1 and they have really unlocked the flat torque curve which MB artificially suppress to give the naturally aspirated engine feel. Can you remind us who you had the tune from. Evotech right.

·
Super Moderator
4,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #208 ·

Reactions: CREED

·
Super Moderator
4,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #210 ·
Brabus told me the A45 engine, and I assume the A35, has two firewalls and is much harder to tune that the previous A45. Having said that there are plenty of guys on here who have had there A45s' tuned and are happy with the result. So basically a software issue.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm trying to get to the bottom of a very lengthy, long winded, very expensive issue - your help is appreciated, thanks for reading -

I made the decision of going down the rabbit hole of getting my m139 tuned - it all started with wanting a better exhaust note - instead of dropping crazy money on a capristo cat back, I thought I would get a DP and a tune and call it a day - boy - was this a terrible idea, lol - let me explain.

After getting an FI downpipe installed, I had a local company put a stage2 on the car - what I discovered is :
Although under WOT the car does behave somewhat normally, if I plan on driving like a race car, and going from 1st-8th and doing max speed everytime I get in the car, but we all know that's not how we drive.

First gear started responding terrible
Reverse gear started responding terrible
Drivability on the highway was poor - almost as if it made the already indecisive transmission, more indecisive.
Stopping at a stop sign, put the car into a stall/recover/stall recover/stall recover mode, does this 3 times then idle is maintained
Overall drivability is destroyed with more boost

Knowing that the highway driving issues are likely due to the high torque and the CPC , it leaves me with the question, why does 1st gear become sluggish with more boost? Leaving from a stop, taking my foot off the brake, causes a really big drop in revvs, followed by a correction, and then acceleration.
Reverse seems to almost not respond to gas. Drivability around town - terrible.

Revert to stock ecu - problems all go away.

Thinking this was an issue with tuner #1, I brought it to another well known tuner, explained the issues with torque, this tuner created much less torque on the file, and highway driving was slightly improved - but, 1st gear response became bad again, reverse response bad again, general daily driving becomes bad again.

Revert to stock - problems go away.

Now the curious thing - I've just spoken with an a35 driver - that has gone through this exact same issue.

My question to you is - what common components does the a35 and the a45s share when it comes to boost regulation, or vacuum? Two completely different engines, two of the exact same issues when using more boost with a tune.

Will donate 0.0014 btc to the best answer that helps me get to the root of this issue that is slowly driving me insane.

Cheers!!!
The A45s has 3 components that regulate its performance behavior. The TCU, CPC and ECU. The lesser tunes only do the ECU tuning and skip the TCU and the most difficult one - CPC tuning.

From the sound of your experience, I suspect the TCU and CPC may not have had the proper adjustments made. Which tune are you using?

I believe the more reputable tunes, like Poseidon, or Renntech does the end to end adaptations.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The new C63 AMG that is ditching the classic V8 is going to make 500 bhp from the same 4 cylinder turbo engine isn't it? So it seems possible to get 500hp out of it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The new C63 AMG that is ditching the classic V8 is going to make 500 bhp from the same 4 cylinder turbo engine isn't it? So it seems possible to get 500hp out of it.
Sounds like a hybrid though. Presumably a bigger turbo which is why it has an electric compressor to maintain spool time.
I guess if the engine internals are the same then yes the a45 can handle big power. Not sure if the injectors fuel pumps will keep up?

·
Super Moderator
4,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #215 ·
Reactions: AMGSingapore

·
Super Moderator
3,637 Posts
New tuning offer from Collins Performance (forum sponsor):

See:

Please post questions to Collins in that section of the forum, thanks.

·
Super Moderator
4,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #218 ·
201 - 220 of 272 Posts